Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve only owned my Avalon for two days, but I’ve driven over 120 miles. I’m averaging 29.6 mpg?! I’m impressed, really impressed.

Don‘t think I’ve ever owned a car with this amount of smooth power that got me that type of mileage. Amazing.

And the thing that really amazes me is that I didn’t exactly take it easy on the car at first because I wanted to see how it’d perform, listen for noises, etc. I had the AC on 90% of those miles...and it still got 29.6? A lot of it was highway - but there was a fair amount of around town stop and go, stuff. I’m blown away, really am.

Do these things turn in higher fuel mileage averages than advertised? Anyone averaging in the low 30’s?

·
PJSMITH
1,555 Posts
I'm that guy that has problems with numbers and has a bit of geek in me.
I record every fill up and every expense on the car (and my other cars) and have for all 50 years of driving.
2482 gallons and 89050 miles My hybrid is probably the high side of MPG's and I do drive like an old guy/ Anticipated stops and not dashing across three lanes of freeway at the exits and Rabbit start and stops. I bought the car for MPG's. No longer obsessed by trying to beat the past MPG.. Not dead, but paying for gas and tires, myself.
I don't drive to obstruct other drivers and keep in the flow at 75 when driving in LA or on the high speed flow. Generally around town on freeways (I'm in San Diego) and many commutes involve at least SOME freeway time. I have about 60% in city/local streets and 40% freeway. In the nearly 90 K miles I have 4 long trips (1000+ mile freeway?) SD to Sacramento or SD to Albuquerque and other long trips. I consider the car as the final car and expect 20 years of service from it. A new battery at 10-15 years is expected but not desired. In a few more years, battery tech should be improved even more and costs, hopefully, down.
The car is very reliable in spite of the few minor flaws.
The only down side for me has been tires. The car is hard on tires, or I am. My combined driving is giving about 30 K on a set. Different manufacturers and different models but choice that they are quiet. I just got an adjusted set from Michelin and 30 K of the 60 K life warranty. I think the tires are a factor in MPG.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm that guy that has problems with numbers and has a bit of geek in me.
I record every fill up and every expense on the car (and my other cars) and have for all 50 years of driving.
2482 gallons and 89050 miles My hybrid is probably the high side of MPG's and I do drive like an old guy/ Anticipated stops and not dashing across three lanes of freeway at the exits and Rabbit start and stops. I bought the car for MPG's. No longer obsessed by trying to beat the past MPG.. Not dead, but paying for gas and tires, myself.
I don't drive to obstruct other drivers and keep in the flow at 75 when driving in LA or on the high speed flow. Generally around town on freeways (I'm in San Diego) and many commutes involve at least SOME freeway time. I have about 60% in city/local streets and 40% freeway. In the nearly 90 K miles I have 4 long trips (1000+ mile freeway?) SD to Sacramento or SD to Albuquerque and other long trips. I consider the car as the final car and expect 20 years of service from it. A new battery at 10-15 years is expected but not desired. In a few more years, battery tech should be improved even more and costs, hopefully, down.
The car is very reliable in spite of the few minor flaws.
The only down side for me has been tires. The car is hard on tires, or I am. My combined driving is giving about 30 K on a set. Different manufacturers and different models but choice that they are quiet. I just got an adjusted set from Michelin and 30 K of the 60 K life warranty. I think the tires are a factor in MPG.
Wow, I am surprised you’re only getting 30k out of a set of tires. Alignment is fine? No pull? and you rotate your tires every 5,000-7,000 miles?

The only car I’ve ever had that burned through tires every 30k was my Lexus LS460. That thing just never drove right, it always had a pull. Alignment was always slightly off and to fix it would have required a realignment of the subframe. And those cars are notoriously bad on tires anyway...and pretty expensive too. I’m kind of “proactive” with tires anyway - living in New Hampshire I can’t risk going through a winter with iffy tires - so if I’m heading into November with those things 75% worn, I have to replace them. Can’t tell you how many times I know I could have gotten another 7-10k mikes out of tires, but couldn’t risk it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow, I am surprised you’re only getting 30k out of a set of tires. Alignment is fine? No pull? and you rotate your tires every 5,000-7,000 miles?

The only car I’ve ever had that burned through tires every 30k was my Lexus LS460. That thing just never drove right, it always had a pull. Alignment was always slightly off and to fix it would have required a realignment of the subframe. And those cars are notoriously bad on tires anyway...and pretty expensive too. I’m kind of “proactive” with tires anyway - living in New Hampshire I can’t risk going through a winter with iffy tires - so if I’m heading into November with those things 75% worn, I have to replace them. Can’t tell you how many times I know I could have gotten another 7-10k mikes out of tires, but couldn’t risk it.
On my first Avalon (1999 XLS) I had about 10K on my first set of Hankook Otimo (I had som good time with that car too), when switched to the harder compound tires got about 20K. Currently on my 4th Avalon (2016 Limited) and never had more than 35K on a set of tires on any of my cars including all 4 Avalons. I'm not racing but not particularly conservative with the throttle either. However, main reason for such a short life is that I'm using rather soft tires for better grip, wet traction and comfort. Soft tires don't last as long as harder ones. Also I prefer to change my tires before winter and I'm not waiting for them to be completely shot either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my first Avalon (1999 XLS) I had about 10K on my first set of Hankook Otimo (I had som good time with that car too), when switched to the harder compound tires got about 20K. Currently on my 4th Avalon (2016 Limited) and never had more than 35K on a set of tires on any of my cars including all 4 Avalons. I'm not racing but not particularly conservative with the throttle either. However, main reason for such a short life is that I'm using rather soft tires for better grip, wet traction and comfort. Soft tires don't last as long as harder ones. Also I prefer to change my tires before winter and I'm not waiting for them to be completely shot either.
So you currently own a 2016? Would you suggest winter tires for one of these things? I asked the lady I bought it off of how it was in the snow and she said, oh it’s great!

But I have a pretty long commute (one hour, forty miles one way). I don’t like white knuckling the steering wheel on the way to work...and where I live we always get hit the hardest it seems. But I was able to drive for 15 years with a front wheel drive Honda Accord, no snow tires and never a problem. My Lexus LS460 was rear wheel drive, but with snow tires (without them I couldn’t even get out if my driveway). And I’m coming off a 2018 Silverado (that thing was obviously great in the snow).

I am absolutely thrilled with this car so far. The 6 speed mated to that 3.5 liter engine is absolute butter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So you currently own a 2016? Would you suggest winter tires for one of these things? I asked the lady I bought it off of how it was in the snow and she said, oh it’s great!

But I have a pretty long commute (one hour, forty miles one way). I don’t like white knuckling the steering wheel on the way to work...and where I live we always get hit the hardest it seems. But I was able to drive for 15 years with a front wheel drive Honda Accord, no snow tires and never a problem. My Lexus LS460 was rear wheel drive, but with snow tires (without them I couldn’t even get out if my driveway). And I’m coming off a 2018 Silverado (that thing was obviously great in the snow).

I am absolutely thrilled with this car so far. The 6 speed mated to that 3.5 liter engine is absolute butter.
I live in New Jersey and around here we rarely getting enough snow to justify real winter tires. I Use all season tires with good snow and wet road traction ratings. Up until now I was using Michelin Premier A/S and when we actually had few snow storms and I had to drive at night before roads got plowed it was pretty adequate, just go easy on the right pedal. Avalon's front end rather light for the power you get on the front wheels so you have to be careful when accelerating on the snow. Traction control helps but only if you not trying to fight it. This year I gave up on driving through our potholes on the low profile tires and switched to 17" rims. I also bought Continental Pure Contact LS. Tire Rack and Consumer Reports both tested Continental Pure Contact LS and saying snow and wet traction is better than Michelin Premier A/S but I have yet to see it myself. If you considering a set of proper winter tires (just to drive during winter) check out Vredestein Wintrac Pro. This tire is very good in the snow and not as noisy as other winter tires but rolling resistance not too good, your gas mileage will definitely go down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in New Jersey and around here we rarely getting enough snow to justify real winter tires. I Use all season tires with good snow and wet road traction ratings. Up until now I was using Michelin Premier A/S and when we actually had few snow storms and I had to drive at night before roads got plowed it was pretty adequate, just go easy on the right pedal. Avalon's front end rather light for the power you get on the front wheels so you have to be careful when accelerating on the snow. Traction control helps but only if you not trying to fight it. This year I gave up on driving through our potholes on the low profile tires and switched to 17" rims. I also bought Continental Pure Contact LS. Tire Rack and Consumer Reports both tested Continental Pure Contact LS and saying snow and wet traction is better than Michelin Premier A/S but I have yet to see it myself. If you considering a set of proper winter tires (just to drive during winter) check out Vredestein Wintrac Pro. This tire is very good in the snow and not as noisy as other winter tires but rolling resistance not too good, your gas mileage will definitely go down.
Thanks, that’s some good information. Especially the “front end rather light for the power you get”, part. That’s what I was wondering about. I might invest in snow tires then, maybe at least for the front.

·
PJSMITH
1,555 Posts

Alignment is perfect and checked every oil change at dealer. Tires wear evenly and the Discount Tire guys rotate and Balance every 4-6K miles without fail. The tires are praised by the tire guys and they are the people that measure teh tires when they rot and Bal. They have suggested and there are probably another 10K before UNSAFE to drive, but I am more toward early replacement. I have gone through two sets of Mich. Premiers and will put new on Today. The original tires were worn out early 18K and Michelin replaced with credit for new set cost me $118 out the door. They were not resistant and did not question miles. Discount tire has meticulously managed teh tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alignment is perfect and checked every oil change at dealer. Tires wear evenly and the Discount Tire guys rotate and Balance every 4-6K miles without fail. The tires are praised by the tire guys and they are the people that measure teh tires when they rot and Bal. They have suggested and there are probably another 10K before UNSAFE to drive, but I am more toward early replacement. I have gone through two sets of Mich. Premiers and will put new on Today. The original tires were worn out early 18K and Michelin replaced with credit for new set cost me $118 out the door. They were not resistant and did not question miles. Discount tire has meticulously managed teh tires.
Now, did you say you are a hypermiller? Do you over inflate the tires for fuel economy purposes (like I have been known to do)? But that probably wouldn’t do anything major to the tires anyway...maybe wear out the middle quicker, but that’s debatable.

You said you live in San Diego? That’s warm weather year round...I wonder if NOT driving six months out of the year in cold temperatures is harder on a tire? Just having that pavement be so hot and having that tire rubber getting so hot. Wonder if that would do anything? Where I live, from November till the end of March I’m driving on roads and weather that is often freezing. The tire rubber gets hard, might not scuff as much? Again, I’m reaching here.

Curious to see what type of life I get out of tires on this car, right now the car has Michelin Defender t+h on the car.

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
207 Posts
Would you suggest winter tires for one of these things?

For me, it depends on the setup you currently have. You state that you have a '16, but you don't say the model nor tires currently on the vehicle (I'm assuming you've got a V6 based upon your mileage). If you have a Touring, I would suggest winter shoes. If you have a Limited, it's your call. If you have any other model, you're probably OK with just the all-season tires as long as they're rated pretty high for cold weather. You see the Touring and Limited both have 18" wheels and the Touring goes further with a stiffer suspension. New One is right that there is certainly enough power to get in trouble on the snow. How light you are with the gas will effect your results. I have a 2013 Touring with higher performance tires on 18" rims. The 2013 Touring has an even stiffer suspension than the 2016 and I have separate wheels/tires for the winter (although where I am, in Missouri, it's more about ice than snow). I, too, prefer to not drive white-knuckled in the winter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For me, it depends on the setup you currently have. You state that you have a '16, but you don't say the model nor tires currently on the vehicle (I'm assuming you've got a V6 based upon your mileage). If you have a Touring, I would suggest winter shoes. If you have a Limited, it's your call. If you have any other model, you're probably OK with just the all-season tires as long as they're rated pretty high for cold weather. You see the Touring and Limited both have 18" wheels and the Touring goes further with a stiffer suspension. New One is right that there is certainly enough power to get in trouble on the snow. How light you are with the gas will effect your results. I have a 2013 Touring with higher performance tires on 18" rims. The 2013 Touring has an even stiffer suspension than the 2016 and I have separate wheels/tires for the winter (although where I am, in Missouri, it's more about ice than snow). I, too, prefer to not drive white-knuckled in the winter.
I have a 2016 XLE with the 3.5 V6. Tires are Michelin Defenders T+H P215 /55R17

Just priced out winter tires, they range from $55-$125. So that’s not too bad, might be worth it.

·
PJSMITH
1,555 Posts
Now, did you say you are a hypermiller? Do you over inflate the tires for fuel economy purposes (like I have been known to do)? But that probably wouldn’t do anything major to the tires anyway...maybe wear out the middle quicker, but that’s debatable.

You said you live in San Diego? That’s warm weather year round...I wonder if NOT driving six months out of the year in cold temperatures is harder on a tire? Just having that pavement be so hot and having that tire rubber getting so hot. Wonder if that would do anything? Where I live, from November till the end of March I’m driving on roads and weather that is often freezing. The tire rubber gets hard, might not scuff as much? Again, I’m reaching here.

Curious to see what type of life I get out of tires on this car, right now the car has Michelin Defender t+h on the car.
Not a hyper miler. When I bought the HYBRID, I thought I would challenge the MPG numbers and do everything possible to get MAX MPG's. I did all I could and after the first year I was tired and after doing a year of data collection of every different variation of speed and Tires pressures and braking and down shifting and running in sport and ECO mode and all combinations of settings. My conclusions are that the computer that controls the engine/transmission is smarter than me and there was no significant margin when using manual methods over the car being set in "normal and 35 PSI in all tires (which is what Discount Tire set as the tire manufacturers recommendation), The tires wore evenly across the tread better than any tires I have ever had. There was no uneven wear on any set of 4 and the tires were rotated and balanced regularly at 4-6K miles. No difference in wear, front to back or any shoulder wear which I have had in some Michelin's on other cars. I use only regular gas and change oil between 5-10K miles.
I guess my message is that the car is smarter than we are and will manage MPG's better than we can. As for the tires, I think it's the roads here in San Diego. They suck as bad as any roads that are neglected. San Diego roads are terrible.
The tires I have are Michelin Premiers and the OEMs were the stock Michelins. The Premiers are good tires. As new they are super quiet and very smooth. They are stock size and V rated 215 55 17's The V6 has 18's and OEM's were Bridgestones back in '14.

·
PJSMITH
1,555 Posts

I have heard here that the defenders are long wear and good on the V6's

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not a hyper miler. When I bought the HYBRID, I thought I would challenge the MPG numbers and do everything possible to get MAX MPG's. I did all I could and after the first year I was tired and after doing a year of data collection of every different variation of speed and Tires pressures and braking and down shifting and running in sport and ECO mode and all combinations of settings. My conclusions are that the computer that controls the engine/transmission is smarter than me and there was no significant margin when using manual methods over the car being set in "normal and 35 PSI in all tires (which is what Discount Tire set as the tire manufacturers recommendation), The tires wore evenly across the tread better than any tires I have ever had. There was no uneven wear on any set of 4 and the tires were rotated and balanced regularly at 4-6K miles. No difference in wear, front to back or any shoulder wear which I have had in some Michelin's on other cars. I use only regular gas and change oil between 5-10K miles.
I guess my message is that the car is smarter than we are and will manage MPG's better than we can. As for the tires, I think it's the roads here in San Diego. They suck as bad as any roads that are neglected. San Diego roads are terrible.
The tires I have are Michelin Premiers and the OEMs were the stock Michelins. The Premiers are good tires. As new they are super quiet and very smooth. They are stock size and V rated 215 55 17's The V6 has 18's and OEM's were Bridgestones back in '14.
Interesting — ”the engine/transmission is smarter than me”

Interesting because usually people can squeeze out more mpg with some adjustments, etc, but you’ve tried and nothing has really changed.

I’m pretty easy on the gas pedal, I’ll glide as much as possible (down hills, etc), I avoid hard acceleration whenever possible and in the highway I drive 68-70 mph. Yet having said that, there have been times since I’ve owned this car where I have ignored all of that and I still got around 29 mpg. So I think you’re right. Now I don’t have the hybrid, so it’s a different circumstance, but I have noticed what you’re saying...the engine, the computer, the transmission...are all pretty dialed in correctly. For me that’s good because I’d prefer to drive 70-72 on the highway, rather than 68ish. I’d rather keep the AC on more often (cars/trucks I’ve owned in the past really drop substantially when the AC is on, but this Avalon doesn’t). So these are some things I’m noticing. The car just doesn’t seem to care all that much, it just gets good gas mileage. I like that.

Now if I could just figure why the damn radio keeps dropping calls and rebooting every two minutes I’m on the phone, everything will be perfect. Honestly, that’s driving me nuts. Just started yesterday...driving along talking on the phone. Nothing. Look down, radio is off, lost the call, then it reboots. Rinse repeat. iPhone 10

·
PJSMITH
1,555 Posts
Just so it's clear, there are a lot of adjustments and style of driving and everything was tried. no more tham 2 MPG on periodic data was realized, And the efforts have had equal negatives. Based on the effort made compared to the gains, it's a net zero. As for the radio, I remember having a few odd things about the radio and the Bluetooth sync. There is a procedure (look in the manual) about zeroing the data and links to phones. Since the car is "new" to you it's just a complete rest. There is a manual reset to new customer. You zero the address book and the locations in the navigation, and removes all of the previous phones and data and owner information. I think that has to be done. Also, since it's new, the problem seems to be an electric issue. There is a procedure to zero the electric system. Something like disconnect the battery and turn the headlights on and off with the battery disconnected and press the brake pedal four times. Sounds odd but there is an actual "code" to rest the system. Toyota and other manufacturers have done some procedures to fix the computer. Look in the google DB and you might call your local Toyota dealer and ask to talk to the service manager of lead tech for Avalons. Capacitors and the ROM of computer chips is programmable. Also since I've had this since original in Feb 14, I have read many users efforts and might have only some of the story in my memory. There are also many reports of iPhone troubles and the efforts to fix the settings. My local dealer has been very helpful, but I have a long 22 year relationship with them

·
PJSMITH
1,555 Posts
Interesting — ”the engine/transmission is smarter than me”

Interesting because usually people can squeeze out more mpg with some adjustments, etc, but you’ve tried and nothing has really changed.

I’m pretty easy on the gas pedal, I’ll glide as much as possible (down hills, etc), I avoid hard acceleration whenever possible and in the highway I drive 68-70 mph. Yet having said that, there have been times since I’ve owned this car where I have ignored all of that and I still got around 29 mpg. So I think you’re right. Now I don’t have the hybrid, so it’s a different circumstance, but I have noticed what you’re saying...the engine, the computer, the transmission...are all pretty dialed in correctly. For me that’s good because I’d prefer to drive 70-72 on the highway, rather than 68ish. I’d rather keep the AC on more often (cars/trucks I’ve owned in the past really drop substantially when the AC is on, but this Avalon doesn’t). So these are some things I’m noticing. The car just doesn’t seem to care all that much, it just gets good gas mileage. I like that.

Now if I could just figure why the damn radio keeps dropping calls and rebooting every two minutes I’m on the phone, everything will be perfect. Honestly, that’s driving me nuts. Just started yesterday...driving along talking on the phone. Nothing. Look down, radio is off, lost the call, then it reboots. Rinse repeat. iPhone 10
Also, the DRCC Cruise control is better than it seems, if you have it. And the A/C has little or no effect to performance. It's reduces function when you need performance and it's auto function works great. I also have used the ECO mode to reduce use and it doesn't seem to matter other than it does reduce the function of the A/C.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, the DRCC Cruise control is better than it seems, if you have it. And the A/C has little or no effect to performance. It's reduces function when you need performance and it's auto function works great. I also have used the ECO mode to reduce use and it doesn't seem to matter other than it does reduce the function of the A/C.
Good stuff, I didn’t think to put it in eco mode when the AC is on to reduce its use. Honestly, even with the AC on I am simply blown away by the fuel economy of this thing...then again I’m coming off a 2018 Chevy Silverado and before that a 2007 Lexus LS460. Both actually gave me great fuel economy for V8’s, but I’m talking 24-26 mpg...and that was mostly highway/babying them.

·
BigEd400
2016 Avalon xle prem
5 Posts
I’ve only owned my Avalon for two days, but I’ve driven over 120 miles. I’m averaging 29.6 mpg?! I’m impressed, really impressed.

Don‘t think I’ve ever owned a car with this amount of smooth power that got me that type of mileage. Amazing.

And the thing that really amazes me is that I didn’t exactly take it easy on the car at first because I wanted to see how it’d perform, listen for noises, etc. I had the AC on 90% of those miles...and it still got 29.6? A lot of it was highway - but there was a fair amount of around town stop and go, stuff. I’m blown away, really am.

Do these things turn in higher fuel mileage averages than advertised? Anyone averaging in the low 30’s?
Yeah the Avalon can be deceivingly fast ... I think you'll need a few more fill-ups to confirm your results :)
However decent MPG is kind of normal.
If you go a distance on the highway and use cruise control and make no stops yes 30+ ,,, even with AC @ +/- 70 MPH
But ....around town, stop and go, etc. = expect about 22-25 MPG.
& as you just figured out.. passing is not a problem.
ENJOY !!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Have you considered a different tire? Michelin Premiers are notorious for premature wear, typically less than 30,000 miles and they are shot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts