Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2010 Toyota Camry XLE
570 Posts
It could be just about anything, but, lets start with the basics:

• Are all four tires properly inflated?
  • Is the engine air filter clean?
  • Are all the rubber tubes connected to the engine properly secured (not loose or disconnected)?
  • Is the motor oil clean and of the proper viscosity?
  • Is the transmission shifting properly and going into top gear when it’s supposed to?
  • Are there any fuel leaks?
  • Is the engine reaching proper temperature (needle pointing at center of temperature gauge)?

• When was the last time the Mass Airflow Sensor was cleaned?
  • When was the last time the Air-Fuel Ratio sensor was replaced?
  • When was the last time the fuel injectors were cleaned or replaced?
  • When was the last time the fuel pressure was checked (possible bad fuel-pressure regulator)?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could be just about anything, but, lets start with the basics:

• Are all four tires properly inflated?
  • Is the engine air filter clean?
  • Are all the rubber tubes connected to the engine properly secured (not loose or disconnected)?
  • Is the motor oil clean and of the proper viscosity?
  • Is the transmission shifting properly and going into top gear when it’s supposed to?
  • Are there any fuel leaks?
  • Is the engine reaching proper temperature (needle pointing at center of temperature gauge)?

• When was the last time the Mass Airflow Sensor was cleaned?
  • When was the last time the Air-Fuel Ratio sensor was replaced?
  • When was the last time the fuel injectors were cleaned or replaced?
  • When was the last time the fuel pressure was checked (possible bad fuel-pressure regulator)?
Just changed the oil and air filter I will try injector cleaner next then I will have a mechanic check the other things you have listed. Thanks for your help

· Registered
2004 Solara SLE Convertible, 3.3 V6
1,510 Posts
No one has asked, but how were you driving?

My '04 Solara V6 gets around 26 MPG mixed highway and in-town driving, with a fairly gentle driving style overall.

All in-town driving cuts down on that by quite a bit, and if you're heavy-footed even more so.

I wouldn't find 18 MPG for strictly in-town driving with a more spirited driving style to be hideously bad. If it's highway miles, then, yes, something's off.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No one has asked, but how were you driving?

My '04 Solara V6 gets around 26 MPG mixed highway and in-town driving, with a fairly gentle driving style overall.

All in-town driving cuts down on that by quite a bit, and if you're heavy-footed even more so.

I wouldn't find 18 MPG for strictly in-town driving with a more spirited driving style to be hideously bad. If it's highway miles, then, yes, something's off.
most of my driving is to other towns so mostly highway miles and this car is a 4 cylinder.

· Registered
355 Posts
Any check engine lights? What is your hwy speed and RPM at that speed? Have your mechanic check your fuel trim levels. You can do this yourself with a pretty inexpensive OBDII code reader with live data capability. If the system is sensing a lean issue it may be dumping extra fuel to try and compensate which could be caused by something as simple as a vacuum hose leak, dirty or faulty MAF, or a crack, tear in a boot between the MAF and throttle body or lose clamp in that same area. My brother had a lexus like mine and was wondering why it was not getting the mileage he expected. He is not a car guy and was not a failure with the shifter and was running the car in 4 rather than D so was driving around in a lower gear and did not realize it. Does the camry have an OD button like some cars? That is a very low milage I would think for a 4 cyl Camry. My V6 3.3 Lexus with the regular town and highway driving averages about 27mpg. When doing long drives on the hwy I get like 29mpg if driving in the faster lanes. If I keep it 60mph I can hold 32 to 33mpg.

· Registered
2004 Solara SLE Convertible, 3.3 V6
1,510 Posts
most of my driving is to other towns so mostly highway miles and this car is a 4 cylinder.
Then, yes, 18 MPG is horrendous. I would keep tracking your mileage while you're trying to solve this to see if there's variability.

· Registered
2010 / 1998 Camry 4cyl, 1999 Camry v6
33 Posts
At a minimum you would need to inspect and consider changing the spark plugs and the wires assuming they haven't been replaced. Connect OBD reader, check past CEL in memory and especially the fuel trims.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any check engine lights? What is your hwy speed and RPM at that speed? Have your mechanic check your fuel trim levels. You can do this yourself with a pretty inexpensive OBDII code reader with live data capability. If the system is sensing a lean issue it may be dumping extra fuel to try and compensate which could be caused by something as simple as a vacuum hose leak, dirty or faulty MAF, or a crack, tear in a boot between the MAF and throttle body or lose clamp in that same area. My brother had a lexus like mine and was wondering why it was not getting the mileage he expected. He is not a car guy and was not a failure with the shifter and was running the car in 4 rather than D so was driving around in a lower gear and did not realize it. Does the camry have an OD button like some cars? That is a very low milage I would think for a 4 cyl Camry. My V6 3.3 Lexus with the regular town and highway driving averages about 27mpg. When doing long drives on the hwy I get like 29mpg if driving in the faster lanes. If I keep it 60mph I can hold 32 to 33mpg.
I'll buy some Mac cleaner and try that.

· Registered
140 Posts
I looked under the hood and didn't see the info anywhere. I'll try to find out what size engine it has
I found later you said 4cyl. For 4cyl your gas mileage is too low. It would be normal for 6cyl city only. You should be getting something like 24 in the city and 34 on highway at 65mph unless you are driving much faster.

· Registered
23 Posts
Check for brakes dragging. Lift each corner and spin wheel and feel for drag. I once had rear brakes dragging from brake rust that cost me 10 mpg. I replaced the brakes and removed the rust / lubed, it immediately fixed the problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts