Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
rav42019
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 2019 Rav4 Hybrid Brand New no loan. Total Owner here. My Model is the base model LE with Toyo Tires on them assembled in Japan. so far I've been getting 45mpg even first 100 miles, I think these will wind up being much better on gas than people anticipate. I drive carefully but half highway half city so far. about 2 days worth of getting used to it. Great car, def worth the money. probably gonna sell out quickly. the drivetrain will last forever, and I got a great warranty on it 20 years. 200k:nerd:

My feeling is that during the summer the MPG of these will increase dramatically, just like in the Prius gen 2 which was might previous car, it would get 50mpg in the summer and 40 in the winter. I traded it in to the dealer this week averaging 40mpg now im getting 45 in an SUV. So I may see 50mpg in the summer, that's my prediction, having used a similar hybrid system before. well see. best car ive ever driver so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had my LE hybrid for about a week and have already put 600 miles on it ... says it’s getting 55mpg (I drive about half city half highway going less than 55mph due to traffic) I try to drive conservatively to make the most of the fuel economy, but it seems like these numbers are just too high to be true.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I am planning on getting a Rav4 Hybrid but I am concerned about the rear view mirror using a camera. Some people have noted problems if they wear glasses and if it is raining or wet. Have you fellows noticed a problem?

·
Registered
2019 XLE Premium AWD
439 Posts
Oh, thanks QuickdToo for the info.

Is it relatively easy to disconnect the negative terminal of the auxiliary battery?

and, as I'm new to the forum, I don't know where the thread you mentioned is regarding the acoustic glass, can you please point me to it "There was a long discussion on this on R4W"?
12 Volt battery is under the cargo deck, fairly easy to access. The acoustic glass discussion is in this HV road test report:
https://www.rav4world.com/forums/201-4-5-electric-rav4-hybrid-ev/297203-test-drove-2019-rav4-hybrid-2.html#post2687195

·
7,468 Posts
As a side note...
We had several hybrid owners that had issues after 12V disconnection. Please, be aware of this and if you must do this, provide back up power. Normally, via power outlet inside the vehicle.Plenty of gizmos available to do so now.

12V is backup power storage for all crucial computers and electronics. If you need to reset a particular component, it is much better to locate its fuse and pull fuse out.

Also, this thread is:
Gas MPG in new 2019 Hybrid RAV4? MPG THREAD
Let's return it to the OP, please. Thread starts taking on too many directions.

Moderator.

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 XSE
2 Posts
After 5 fills, I'm averaging 40.15 mpg. Probably would've been closer to 41 mpg, but on the last fill, I topped off and I didn't top off the previous tank.

·
7,468 Posts
Hybrid MPG questions will be coming and coming, so I turned this thread into a sticky. From now on, all MPG posts will be here.
Same will happen to tires thread. There will be many posts on them too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hybrid limited

Averaging about 42-43 mpg first 3K miles. Way better than my old 2013 Elantra GT which averaged 27 mpg over 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
After 5 fills, I'm averaging 40.15 mpg. Probably would've been closer to 41 mpg, but on the last fill, I topped off and I didn't top off the previous tank.
Topping off can get very expensive if you contaminate the charcoal canister with liquid fuel (meant for vapors only) . I would let the pump run until it turns itself off and no more. Your mileage will average out the same and maybe even higher. The original canister in my Echo had charcoal so saturated it sounded like rocks when you shook it. Toyota might even want to argue it as owner neglect if you keep topping off and it could cost a lot of time and frustration even if they pay for it. If not add money to the frustration.

·
rav42019
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hybrid MPG questions will be coming and coming, so I turned this thread into a sticky. From now on, all MPG posts will be here.
Same will happen to tires thread. There will be many posts on them too.

so I am getting 42 mpg driving like a normal civilian at 60-70 degrees outside temps, like I said I think outside temp will play a big role in MPG in these cars, based on what I read from when Toyota and everyone else tested the MPG of this suv in the colder months.

·
7,468 Posts
Ambient and speeds above 50mph have very strong impact on hybrid mpg. At cooler, below 50 degree, temperatures, ICE runs more and longer. At higher speeds, ICE basically operates as in conventional gas vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love my new Rav4 Hybrid, minus a couple things. Anyone have thoughts as to why I am only averaging 33 to 34 mpg in my new Hybrid XLE, with "light to moderate" use of the gas pedal? I keep seeing all the great reviews on gas mileage, but I am not experiencing this. Even when I try to feather the gas pedal over a period of a week, it is still not getting over 35 mpg. Also, when I drive exclusively in-town over several days, the Rav only gets 27-28 mpg, which seems backwards. I have noticed when driving in-town it seems to leave electric mode real easy, that is, with barely any pressure on the gas pedal it switches over to gas. I live in an area with relatively flat terrain, minus some small rolling hills with minor incline. I spoke with the service department at my local Toyota shop and they chalked it up to the dealers mpg rating (38-41) being done under ideal conditions, and that the car would likely not achieve those numbers (somewhat humorous, but usually true). However, seems like others are achieving those numbers, and I am curious if the people in this thread are achieving their 40-plus mpg on completely flat terrain and with extremely light use of the gas pedal. Also, are people getting better gas mileage in-town or on the highway?

(Crossposted paragraph deleted. This is MPG thread)

Thanks, Rodney

·
Registered
9 Posts
Love my

Thanks, Rodney

Hoi Rodney how are ya doing? TOM here.
Let me tell ya I think you're car needs to be scanned with the dealer scan tool to check for computer and sensor errors. THat MPG is way too low for this car as you can read here.I am already getting 44mpg if I'm careful and I live in a hills area.

"they don't make 'em like they used to"
-TOM

·
Don't get mad. Get even.
a Toyota camry, daaa
1,779 Posts
Topping off can get very expensive if you contaminate the charcoal canister with liquid fuel (meant for vapors only) . I would let the pump run until it turns itself off and no more. Your mileage will average out the same and maybe even higher. The original canister in my Echo had charcoal so saturated it sounded like rocks when you shook it. Toyota might even want to argue it as owner neglect if you keep topping off and it could cost a lot of time and frustration even if they pay for it. If not add money to the frustration.
The problem with filling until the pump stops by itself is that I can only manage to put around 9 gallons of gas with a empty tank ( light on and 20 mile left to go). Others report the same problem.

·
7,468 Posts
If there will be need to have FWY vs CITY mpg discussed, I'll create new thread for this, as there will be many opinions on that too. Like it was in TCH or HiHy forums. So let me know but, for now - this is just to post your mpg. Surely, add specifics, as it varies widely per terrain, ambient temps, season, elevation, etc. But, to discuss specific mpg vs mpg - lemme know, I'll start that conversation for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What Is Your Average Hybrid MPG?

I have averaged between 40.3 - 40.8 suburban driving with typical stop signs, traffic lights etc. Average speed 25 mph - 40 mph for 350 miles of the 479 miles I have logged on my Rav 4 hybrid 2019 XLE.

Freeway driving actually has been slightly higher (contrary to Toyota estimates of 37 freeway driving) over suburban driving at 41.0 average mpg.

I live at 4,400 ft above sea level, use 85 octane, try and keep the acceleration gradual in regular mode trying not to pass power on the instrument panel. (Eco mode for me has been the same as regular mode for average mpg)

Tell us your average and you secret to high average mileage.

Based on my driving strategy, I have topped out my average mpg and can’t seem to push it above 41.0 mpg on the freeway and between 40.3 - 40.8 suburban driving.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 XSE Hybrid
5 Posts
I've had my XSE for a couple months now. I'm getting ~37.5MPG (mi/gal although the indicator in the car tracks pretty closely). I'm driving ~90% in town, ~10% Freeway. I don't baby the gas pedal but I don't push it either.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts