Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hoping for a quick answer as I'm a little afraid to start the car.

I'm in the middle of replacing the VSV at the charcoal cannister, hoping to get rid of codes P0441 and 446. Since the bracket is a rusted mess, I was trying to break the old one off by wiggling it around with a screwdriver and some taps with a hammer. I started to smell gas and also heard a hissing noise. I'm thinking it's just vapors and not actual gas but it still has me worried. Nothing appears to be broken, aside from the mangled bracket, and after a few minutes the smell and the sound seem to be gone.

Is it possible I briefly jarred one of the hose connections which released the vapor that was still in the cannister?

And question two, is my car going to blow up when I start it?

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
There was a video clip a while ago. One thing it said was that if you hear something rattling around inside the canister, the whole thing was no good and should be replaced.
It was this one:

·
short-throw dipstick
6,216 Posts
I saw that video. I didn't actually remove the cannister so I don't know if I have any rattles. I'm trying the cheaper fix first.
I'm not an expert (so I am not responsible if you somehow do manage to blow yourself up) but I replaced that VSV on a 2000 RAV4 (3S-FE) a few weeks ago. Smelled the same thing...I was prepared to take out the canister, open it up and refill it with aquarium charcoal. Didn't have to, the solenoid solved the P0446. I'd just hook everything up and start it; I mean, if nothing blows up with liberal use of carb cleaner to find vacuum leaks, you should be OK with a puff of gas escaping from the charcoal canister.

HTH

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the new part on, all lines appear to connected and intact. I'll take a listen and a whiff in that area after I drive it next. I noticed that the old VSV did not click when I applied battery power so hopefully that's the culprit.

Thanks for the replies and the reassurance that I won't blow up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.