Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem. For the last few months, every time I fill my gas tank, whether using a hold-open dispenser or manually dispensing the gas, I end up with the tank overfilling and spilling a good deal of fuel. The pump does shut itself off, but by that time it's too late. It's messy and annoying, not to mention really wasteful. I'll be going back to the dealer for my 10K maintenance soon, but just curious if this is a problem unique to my car.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

2010 V-4 AWD, Golden Umber Mica

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've never had a problem. I always stop at the first "click" and have never had spillage. The rubber shield on the pump nozzle should stop any splashback. I also have an I4, but I don't think the fill spouts differ from the V6.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't have that problem with my V6 Venza. Sometimes, the fuel pump itself is faulty and does not shut off quick enough (I worked as a gas station attendant as a teenager so I know this... owner don't replace it because it cost well over $500 bucks and inspection did not come often enough). Make sure you push the nozzle all the way in.

All else fail, try another gas station and see if another gas station pump does the same to you. If it does, something is wrong with your Venza' s gas.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've never had a problem. I always stop at the first "click" and have never had spillage. The rubber shield on the pump nozzle should stop any splashback. I also have an I4, but I don't think the fill spouts differ from the V6.
Hi all, I also stop at the first click when filling and have never had any problems with spashback or overfilling.
The original poster should try another pump or different station.
Also make sure the filler valve is fully inserted in the tank when filling.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all. Wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem. For the last few months, every time I fill my gas tank, whether using a hold-open dispenser or manually dispensing the gas, I end up with the tank overfilling and spilling a good deal of fuel. The pump does shut itself off, but by that time it's too late. It's messy and annoying, not to mention really wasteful. I'll be going back to the dealer for my 10K maintenance soon, but just curious if this is a problem unique to my car.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

2010 V-4 AWD, Golden Umber Mica
I do have the same problem on my 09 Venza. It has been like that since day one. I have tried different gas stations, different gas pumps, repositioned the nozzle and nothing works. I learn very early in owenership, to NOT top off the tank. The only thing that has worked for me is to listen to fuel as it is put in. When you hear the gurgle, it is at the top and it is time to stop. Kindof like the perfect pump episode from Seinfled. Most of the time it works. Let me know what your dealership thinks. Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 Venza, 2007 MDX
143 Posts
This has never been a problem for, and I fill my tank to the very top.

·
Go Bolts!
1,146 Posts
No problem here either.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Happened to me yesterday for the first time. Had it on automatic and wasn't paying attention...the pump clicked off and then my gas tank seemed to burp a large amount of fuel out. Surprised me.

·
Registered
Venza
156 Posts
I sometimes have that happen to my V6. Make sure you have the pump handle fully inserted and this will stop it from happening "most" of the time.

MikieP

·
Registered
6 Posts
split petrol

yep...happened to me on my first fill... after using up the free tank full from my dealer....filled up at 565km...

my province doesnt have automatic nozzle click-off handles anymore... (damn govnt intervention - dont get me started)....did it manually...and had the spill.

Wondered what the F?? I'll pay better attention next time..

sooo far loving my Venza. Family does too! 10 days!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happened to me yesterday for the first time. Had it on automatic and wasn't paying attention...the pump clicked off and then my gas tank seemed to burp a large amount of fuel out. Surprised me.
Just happened to me for the first time this weekend. 2010 bought in Sept. Have about 1500 miles on it.

Funny thing is I read this tread a few weeks ago, and was sure to 1) full insert the pump nozzle and 2) shut off the pump when I heard it getting close to full. All seemed ok till I removed the pump nozzle.

When I did that, it "burped" quite a bit of gas out. I would estimate 1/2 gallon.

This is the first time it has ever happened. Wonder if maybe I put the nozzle in too far after ready this thread...next time I am going to adjust the nozzle a little.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
a lot of this is from the midship position of the fuel tank under the driver-side floorand the relatively narrow filler line traveling the distance from the filler port to the actual tank - over 3ft. the filler line does burp a lo because of the bubbles forming along the line..... I haven't personally observed fuel belching out with my venza but have observed how much the fuel level settles after filing to the brim and driving a mile. The one advantage is ya can siphon fuel out of the tank.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like a venting problem. If there is no venting while filling then pressure will build from the existing air in the tank and when the nozzle flow pressure stops the fuel comes back up like a baby's burp after feeding . I know that emission monitors MIL codes do come on a car (Evap codes) if the cap is not on properly or if the cap has a broken seal so that would mean the venting on cars has to come from the same opening as the fill-up hole.
I always leave a little air space between the nozzle's rubber anti splash shield and the opening while filling to allow this accumulated air pressure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
gas tank capacity

Hi all,
Other than a crooked gas station, can anyone tell me how I just put 18.47 gallons in the 17.7 gallon tank of my Venza? It was quite low, low fuel light was lit, but that seem rather wacky.
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi all,
Other than a crooked gas station, can anyone tell me how I just put 18.47 gallons in the 17.7 gallon tank of my Venza? It was quite low, low fuel light was lit, but that seem rather wacky.
Thanks,
Bob
Toyota Top secret 1 gallon reserve?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Volume of the tank does not include the pipe/hose to it. On some cars I've heard that it can go up to a gallon, but I don't know specifically for Venza...

·
Registered
'16 Highlander LTD
533 Posts
Was the ground fairly level, or was the drivers side of the car higher than the passengers side? Our low fuel light came on the other night and on level ground I got 14.7 gal into the tank with a 50 cent top off.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts