Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So a few of you read my post the other day about my 'Bad Day' when my car went down for a CV, and I thought I had something going bad in my rear end. I'm honestly kinda embarassed that I didn't catch it before, but I'm even more surprised the dealership did not even see it.

ANYWAYS

Heres what your gas tank/ driveshaft/ under bed area should 'normally' look like

And this is what it SHOULD NOT look like....

You can see that the heat shielding bent back and was striking against the driveshaft, particularly the balancing weight on the front of it. This was caused by mud puddles, believe it or not. I just hit a couple on a really rainy day this week and this is the outcome.

So anyways, moral of the story if you have a noise sounding like your rear end, or U-joints going out, particularly after fording waters... check here first!

·
Registered
2008 DC TRD Sport
38 Posts
Good to know. Also glad to hear you have nothing major wrong with your truck :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
maybe this thread can be merged into your "bad day" thread??

Glad you got that metal bent back in place....good find.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe this thread can be merged into your "bad day" thread??

Glad you got that metal bent back in place....good find.
I wanted it to be easier to search for. Hiding the pictures on page 3 of a long thread doesn't help I think? Thats my reasoning at least.

·
Registered
4X4 TRD offroad Acce
32 Posts
The same thing happened to me last November. The clunk clunk noise drove me nuts but I was lucky to find it when I got home. I have the access cab which I guess is a bit shorter than the DC LB because the heat shield bent back into the clamp on the bellows. If the heat shield had it bent back a little further it could have cut through the bellows and been more of a pain to repair. I would think it would be good to cut off a piece of the shield on all access cab models to prevent the possibility of this occurring, especially since my shield bent back just driving through a puddle on the highway at speed;)

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The same thing happened to me last November. The clunk clunk noise drove me nuts but I was lucky to find it when I got home. I have the access cab which I guess is a bit shorter than the DC LB because the heat shield bent back into the clamp on the bellows. If the heat shield had it bent back a little further it could have cut through the bellows and been more of a pain to repair. I would think it would be good to cut off a piece of the shield on all access cab models to prevent the possibility of this occurring, especially since my shield bent back just driving through a puddle on the highway at speed;)
I'm considering this option as well, but its obviously not as big of a deal for my DC, I'd just be worried about something kicking off of the driveshaft and into the gas tank, considering its plastic. I'll figure something out someday, at least I know what it is.

·
Buck Up or Doe Out (TM)
2005 Toyota Tacoma
1,539 Posts
haha this is funny because I had it happen a long long time ago to me, yeah its not a big deal, just bend it back, it may do it again but at least you know where its coming from.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
I hit a rather large "puddle" with an 86 mustang gt at about 70mph and it actually pushed up on the floor pan about 1" or so. Hehe

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I hit a rather large "puddle" with an 86 mustang gt at about 70mph and it actually pushed up on the floor pan about 1" or so. Hehe
Damn!

·
I Like 'Ze Best
2007 TRD Sport
1,722 Posts
At least it was this, an not something serious. I have some nice circular scratches in my driveshaft from things getting bent out of whack, and rubbing against it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Had this same thing happen to me about 2 months ago. I was at my mom's house working on the front suspension, it drove there fine, no noises. I left to go home, and heard a really loud noise that would get worse with vehicle speed. I was thinking at first is was something stuck in my brakes or my cv's were gone or maybe a u-joint was busted since I couldn't pin point where the noise was coming from while in the truck. I did a u-turn, went back to my moms to figure out WTF the noise was. Had her get inside and move the truck forward, then backwards. Still couldn't pin point the noise.

I then laid on the ground and had her drive my truck over me :D. As soon as I was underneath the transfer case I could see that little piece of shielding was bent and hitting the drive shaft weights. I was so relieved that it was something simple and free to fix.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts