Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
hdh
04 prius
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 prius. In the winter months it seems like the gas tank won' t fill to capacity.

For example, the other day, with two bars left on the fuel indicator, it only let me put in 26L, and I believe the fuel tank capacity is somewhere around 40L. :confused:

Any ideas?

PS Winters here in Thunder Bay are typically -25Celcuis at night and -15Celcuis during the day.

HDH

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
Fuel tank is 45 litres.

Yeah that's sounds right although you're pumping more than I am in a colder climate lol.

Here on the west coast and 1 bar, I pumped 27-28 litres so your tank is "larger" than mine.

Note that the Prius comes with a flexible rubber bladder inside the gas tank. This expands/contracts depending on the ambient temperature. In the summer, I can pump 38 litres (most I've ever pumped) but in the winter, it shrinks to > 30 litres.

·
hdh
04 prius
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
won't fill all the way

Today I filled the tank. I was careful not to top off, as I've read it can do damage to your fuel system. But the fuel indicator only went up to the second last bar (yes, I waited a long time for the indicator to rise -- its not rising above the second-last bar). i.e. the fuel indicator is not showing FULL even though the pump shut off.

Is this the result of the collapsible bladder in the fuel tank?
How can I get a full tank of gas without jeopardizing the fuel system by topping off?:confused:

HDH

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of weeks and i can put close to 40 litres in it all the time. I would get the dealer to check that out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts