Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Thanks for your replies. In terms of the the causes for a somewhat lower MPG I'm getting on my 04 corolla, I'm just wondering... I checked the oil dipstick in the car to see if Walmart really did anything and the color was yellowish which is a good thing. I checked the tire pressure and everything was normal. I went ahead and opened the air filter compartment and checked out the air filter... the stock air filter was all white (which is a good thing) with the exception of VERY LITTLE brownish black residue on the underside of the filter from the dirt in the air. So it's not my air filter.

I went to pick up the Prestone Gas Treatment which supposedly cleans out the fuel injectiion and the carbuerators and takes out the gunk residue that's left behind in the gas tank. Maybe that is the cause for my reduction of my gas mileage? If I have a cleaner fluid mixing with the gas maybe it'll perform like before?

If it's not, then I don't know what the problem is and I guess I'll take it to Toyota and have them look at it... I'm really refraining from doing that esp. if I don't have to cuz they charge an arm and a leg!

What do you guys think?

·
nice guy
191 Posts
do you drive with your foot to the floor? if so...that would burn more gas.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
ith the exception of VERY LITTLE brownish black residue on the underside of the filter from the dirt in the air. So it's not my air filter
PCV blows slight oil on idle to the filterhousing if you have lots of blowby.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I strongly recommend you truly find out your mileage by filling your tank, writing your mileage and then after driving around fill up again and write the new milage then you can determine the true miles/gallon. Even the dealer is likely going to ask you to do this. Saying that you think your getting bad mileage based on the float in the tank likely won't fly in terms of Toyota helping you out it's just not accurate.

Also you have to look at the way or where your driving. If you are doing all city driving and like to stomp off the line your going to see really bad mileage vs driving down the highway with the cruise on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts