Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all these gas mileage threads might as well add my own.

I have a 05 Tacoma V6 6 Speed with 1200 miles on it. Up here in SD it has been getting very cold lately and I usually let my truck warm up for about 10 minutes.

Is this really wasting as much gas as I think. On my current tank of gas I have 120 miles and it is already down to Half a tank.

I was worried about gas mileage but with all these other threads it seems like once the truck gets broke in it will get better.

Thanks for any help you have!

·
Official Misfit
1,453 Posts
naw, why add it to an existing thread :jester:

yeah, 10 minutes is way to long. i warm mine up for less then a minute before i take off.

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
Unless you have to defrost your windows you really don't need to warm up your engine. Start it up and drive. It's not recommened to do jack rabbit starts but if you just start it up and drive normal your truck will be just fine. 120 miles @ 1/2 tank that is about right for how many mile you have on your truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only reason I let it warm up that long is 1: The window were frosted and 2: It has been down in the single digits and negative temps!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Getting 200 at half tank

I am getting 100 miles per quarter tank so sounds like the warm up procedure is using a fair amount of fuel. Depends how heavy footed you are in your driving.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma DC
319 Posts
200 miles for 1/2 tank is about right. I average 19-20 mpg so a 21 gallon tank should be 420 miles per tank

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
AFSilverado said:
The only reason I let it warm up that long is 1: The window were frosted and 2: It has been down in the single digits and negative temps!
Finally had a cold morning where a little warmup (or a handy inside scraper) would have helped. Last 2 days at around 0F and low humidity didn't need to scrap insider or out. Today at -4F fired up then scraped some minor frost for a few minutes and headed out with my window cracked to exhaust my steamy breath. Almost immediately the inside windows became frosted over, if not for light traffic Id've wrecked with someone. I cranked the defrost up to max and got visibility before finding the ditch.

Not worth totalling the vehicle to save gas, but a good hand scrapper for the inside window is my next purchase.:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts