Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 toyota Hiliux 4x4
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. I have a 1987 Hilux 4x4 with the carbed 22r. A few days ago the gauge lights went dark. No biggie, I figured I'd get around to it eventually. The turn signal lights and high beam still light up on the dash but the speedo etc. are dark. The other night a police officer pulled me over to inform me that my tail lights are out. I checked and the turn signals work fine. The brake lights are fine. The headlights are working as usual. I checked the bulbs and there's no problem there. I looked under the hood and all my fuses seem good. Any idea where to go from here?

·
King Dingaling
77 scottsdale 4X4
129 Posts
you didnt happen to just put a stereo in did ya? when I hooked up a new stereo (millions of years ago) I used the stock ground wire and it caused the same problem. I found that the fuses (under the dash) to the lights were blown. I replaced them only to see them blow again... I called a stereo shop down the road and they told me to ground the stereo to the chassis, when I did the fuses quit popping.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
I don't have an FSM handy to see if they share a common fuse, but check the fuse box behind the drivers side kick panel.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Also look for whatever caused the fuse to blow. Usually it is a bare wire at the back where someone spliced in the bumper lights for the license plate. Wire swings up, contacts chassis, pops fuse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys i just put a stereo in my pick up and this exact same thing happened. when i ground the stereo to the chassis should i also just run a separate power wire straight from the battery to the stereo? or is grounding the stereo not the solution to my problem? everything worked fine before i put the stereo in. any help would be great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts