Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know of anyway to correct the gauges? i took out the needle on the gauges as i was replacing them with white face gauges. after everything was back, i took it for a drive. i drove past one of those police speed checks on the side of the road and found that i was goin' 33, but the speedo was reading 25. i'm not sure if the other gauges are correct now. the temp looks normal, but not sure of the rest. thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, but maybe mrQ can help. i just need a way to recalibrate the gauges...speedo seem to be off.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
^^let me try to search something on the main board....i know that some ppls have had the same problems that u have once they did screw around with cluster....i'm not sure how u would even recalibrate the needle...will let u know what i can find out....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, you are going to think I'm nuts, but this is how you do it:

1. Pull the cluster.

2. Using a piece of rubber hose and whatever else you need, make an adapter that you can put into an electric drill and drive the speedo. You really want a rubber coupling so you don't damage the speedo.

3. Using a variable speed drill, set it to run the speedo at at least 30 MPH. This will likely involve the help of at least one friend. You want to have a very stable speed, so you need a drill that has a trigger speed stop or a lock at a fixed speed.

4. Note the speed of the speedo needle.

5. Pull off the needle, you won't hurt it all when it's at a speed other than zero.

6. Put the needle back on 8 MPH higher than it was.

7. Put it back together.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
That's crazy stuff.... quite creative.... but how in the hell does that work?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is this something to do on the other gauges as well? or should they have no problem? thanks mitchb

·
Registered
MR2 Turbo
29 Posts
thats way to complicated man. sit and let the car cool down. set your temp needle to 0. fill your gas tank to full and put the needle to "F" stop the car and set the rpm to notch below "0" same thing with the speed needle. Dont make this complicate because it really isnt :D THats what i did and my gauge needles are fine. i went through the same thing you did with the speed things and my car was 2mph off which can be due to my larger wheels and tires.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Maybe you got lucky?

You usually can't get that accurate with a gauge that isn't being driven to read something besides Zero or below.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can i just take it to a shop and have it done? or will that cost too much? was i not supposed to remove the needles...i'm positive that's the only way to put on white face gauges.

does anyone know how (where it is) to get to the fuel sending unit for the mr2 turbo? thanks. i just having problems with my fuel gauge as mentioned before. i hate having to reset the trip meter and keep track of it everytime i refill so i'll know how much fuel is left in the tank...arrrggghhhh.

·
sargdesigns
2,497 Posts
I have put on many gauge faces without removing the needles. This was done on Camry's however. I think you should try to find one off of eBay, so you can just replace the cluster. I think white/indiglo gauge faces are kinda 'ricey.' Thats just me... I went through the same phase. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts