Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newer car owners are gnashing their teeth about needing walnut shell blasting to clean all the carbon build up on their GDI engines
(see here for a great video from SavageGeese)
the Geese guys only bite a little on the industry PR which (nonsensically) states the carbon will be less on your GDI if you use "top tier gas" or install a "catch can".
(think of the Cig industry pushing different filter types to assuage guilt on another inherently damaging process.)

There is more bad news about GDI for the planet. The quiet issue with these engines is that they produce 2 or more times the particulate emissions, including a huge amount of ultra fine particles which make it in to lungs and even your bloodstream. The industry has been seeking refuge in a statistical swindle that describes the total amount of particles and not their incredibly high numbers with tiny masses. Its like atomizing uranium vs a lump; the same mass is WAY more dangerous.

The EU and China are leading the way in at least recognizing the threat from particulates (just not their sizes) and are regulating it, by limiting the mass emitted by each engine to < 6.0x10^11 per km driven.
China has been there since 2015, EU since 2017, USA has -crickets-

The ultra tiny particles that all GDI systems spew remain unexamined and likely exist even in Toyota's D4-S lower carbon system. Industry is considering PARTICULATE FILTERS but in the meantime your lungs will serve the same purpose.

academic article here

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I don't know about emissions, but some Toyota engines, such as the V6 found on the HL since 2017, have a dual GDI and fuel injection system that keeps the carbon buildup in check. There are several thread on this forum that discuss it.

·
4,040 Posts
Hey guys, I'm moving this discussion to the Toyota Nation Forums "General Automotive" section.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I don't know about emissions, but some Toyota engines, such as the V6 found on the HL since 2017, have a dual GDI and fuel injection system that keeps the carbon buildup in check. There are several thread on this forum that discuss it.
I have seen several auto shows discuss this. Most mentioned the catch can remedy and all stated that Toyota's dual design did indeed eliminate the problem. It is a more expensive system when compared to straight GDI but I think it is worth it.
W95c

1 - 4 of 4 Posts