Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,295 Posts
Budget- paycheck to paycheck.
Don't modify your car if you are paycheck to paycheck.

If you don't have a second car and a good place to work on both of them, don't be swapping engines.

A 3s-ge from a US Celica GTS (87-89) is only 20 more horsepower.

A nice 3s-ge BEAMS to get ~200hp is a much bigger challenge. If you want this:

You have to be able to do this:

And weld, and source parts, and, and, and....

If you are doing custom/hybrid engines, you will need an aftermarket ECU and a way to tune it. Even the "simple" 3s-ge swap requires a new and/or modified engine harness.

-Charlie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Don't modify your car if you are paycheck to paycheck.
I do what I want.

The Camry is my daily but I have other cars. I dont expect this swap to only take a couple hours or even a week. Nowhere did I say this gonna be a piece of cake.

Don't try to upgrade part by part
I'm not building piece by piece. I'm looking for a complete motor. Hence the questions about the 3sge. I dont know enough to know if there was a complete motor in all those pictures. And now that I know it's a gen 1(and probably an MR2) I've decided against it. Yeah itd be a cheap solution but like I said, I've done research. I'm not about to try adapt an MR2 setup or try to modify a gen 1 for performance.

If you don't have a second car and a good place to work on both of them, don't be swapping engines.
-Charlie
You ever heard of a backyard mechanic?

Thing is, I've got the car. Got curious about what people do to make it go fast so I looked it up. Found the swap. Found out more about the swap. I've looked up this and that, picked up a couple little important details here and there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm not a Honda Boi type guy just slapping shit together and seeing if it works. I know this shit takes time and calculations and problem solving and sweet, sweet money.

When I said paycheck to paycheck I should have clarified "at the moment". Even if money were slow that wouldn't be a good reason for me to not do it. Slow money doesnt mean a shitty project.

Wiring harness- yep, needs spliced. I'll find someone good with that.

Parts sourcing- already got a million bookmarks on forums and articles. I've found forum users to be generally pretty helpful. Sometimes.

Anyhow, I found someone else with a couple Celica 3sgte's. A gen 2 and a jdm gen 3. If I can get my hands on them I'll have a gen 3 3sgte Camry and a 5sgte camry with the gen 2 head.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,295 Posts
I do what I want.

You ever heard of a backyard mechanic?
Have you seen what has come out of my garage / back yard?

So yeah... There are only a couple guys on here with 3s-ge/3s-gte experience. The best info will be on the Celica forums where there are a lot more guys who have done these kinds of things. The information you need to gather here are the Camry specific stuff (front suspension design causes some interference issues, etc.).

I see somebody with big dreams an a lot of passion. If you stick to it and plan well, you'll be able to build something interesting.

-Charlie

21 - 24 of 24 Posts