Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have done this swap......wraith...anyone else?

I am looking at getting a GE head and putting it on my 5S block along with the turbo. Now I have done a couple of searches, but couldn't find the answers to these questions:

1. The current setup I have is MAP based (not MAF), so why wouldn't the old 5S-FE ECU work with the new head?

1a. And if I need to get a 3SGTE ECU, would my current harness have all the necessary signals...maybe just need to placed differently. Are the connectors between the ECU's interchangeable?

2. I have a 1996 5S block and the GE head is from an 1991 MR2. What passages need to be modified? or will it work the way it is?

3. Other than the two questions I listed, is there anything else I need to worry about?

I have a spare block that I was planning on building up and using the GE head on...long term project.

·
Formula One Fanatic
299 Posts
2. i think i remember from another thread that only the 5s blocks from 92 and 93 camrys will work with a head from a 3s-ge. something about the oil passages lining up i think.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I feel pretty stupid. The ECM issue is an obvious one and involves the distributor and cam timing. When I posted th efirst note above, I didn't even think about that stuff. But Ben at Shiftgate gently reminded me that these would be different with the GE head.

I admit...I made a dumb mistake.

But, the other questions about the ECU connectors and any mods needed for the oil or coolant passages still stand.

Steve

·
Premium Member
96 Camry Coupe
1,291 Posts
Steve, hit up Wraith. He will school you. He has been helping me with my 5S-GTE build.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
5Sfte said:
Steve, hit up Wraith. He will school you. He has been helping me with my 5S-GTE build.
Ummm....I have with a direct email to him. I even asked for his input in my first post above...no response.

He don't like me no more.... :lol:

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
sorry steve your always a buddy of mine...
I've been really busy have a race this coming weekend and have been prepping the little echo for the track...

1: you need to convert to maf unless you run 1 of these options... HKS VPC, Stand Alone, or 3rd Gen 3S-GTE ecu...

1a: you current harness needs to be repinned and you need to add some of the sensors that are there for the 5s-fe ...

2: The oil passages and water passages doesnt line ... so you would need to port them up to make them mate to each other ... But this would weaken the block for high boost duties...

3: I'll think of what else you might need... later because I'm here at work...

edited

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He does like me :lol:

1. I already am running a MAP setup. So does that mean the 5S-FE ECU will work?

1a. Yeah, I knew about the pinout being different. But do the connectors physically fit into the ECU? If they don't I would need to find new connectors to mate to the ECU.

2. I assume you mean porting the block....do you think 10-12 psi would be too much after porting? I know that's a wide open question. What's your gut feeling? Does that much need to be removed?

I will be leaving tomorrow for Quebec City for a few days. So I may not repond for a while. But thanks for any info in the meantime!!!!

Steve

·
RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG
516 Posts
meisner you go to thew mr2 forums right? tryout mr2oc.com and look up chrisk. he builds engine for a lot of people on that board and is very knowledgeable. he has built many 5sgte's and can probably answer all your questions.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
92CAMRYGTS said:
meisner you go to thew mr2 forums right? tryout mr2oc.com and look up chrisk. he builds engine for a lot of people on that board and is very knowledgeable. he has built many 5sgte's and can probably answer all your questions.
chrisk is a very dear friend of mine... his the gentleman, that I contracted to make my 5s-gte ... Very turst worthy and very knowledgable... THEE best engine builder in my opinoin .... Totally meticulous work... But, please dont waste the mans time if you dont have the money for to pay TOP dollar for Top work

·
RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG
516 Posts
thats cool that you know him wraith. yes i also think hes one of the best. i'll probably have him do my 5s head, i've talked to him a few times and cant wait to see the results in person. all i need is a 1000 bucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts