Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for posting. I can see myself using this in my 6MT 2014 Corolla on my next oil change.

So far I’ve been satisfied with Ravenol MTF-3 75W that went in 3k miles ago after changing out the original fill at 134k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am having a complete servicing done on my '16 Corolla S, which includes changing the manual transmission fluid. Is there a preference between Mobil-1 Synthetic Gear oil SAE 75W-90 and Lucas Synthetic 75w-90 trans and diff gear oil? These are two of the brands available at Autozone, they do not carry Ravenol unfortunately.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am having a complete servicing done on my '16 Corolla S, which includes changing the manual transmission fluid. Is there a preference between Mobil-1 Synthetic Gear oil SAE 75W-90 and Lucas Synthetic 75w-90 trans and diff gear oil? These are two of the brands available at Autozone, they do not carry Ravenol unfortunately.

You don’t want gear oil in your manual transmission. Gear oil is for differentials. You can get Ravenol or other Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) from Amazon or from your dealer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You don’t want gear oil in your manual transmission. Gear oil is for differentials. You can get Ravenol or other Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) from Amazon or from your dealer.

Okay. It did say transmission fluid and Gear oil but I will not buy it if it is incorrect. 2 Quarts of Ravenol MTF will be enough? And is the weight 75W-90? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It did say transmission fluid and Gear oil but I will not buy it if it is incorrect.
Actually "Gear oil" is rather a generic term. Even Toyota's owner manual call it "manual transmission gear oil". So yes, just make sure it's gear oil for manual transmission, not just for differential.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Went on Amazon and found 2 different types of Ravenol Manual Transmission fluid. One was MTF-2, which was a 75W-80 fluid and the other was MTF-3, which shows as a SAE 75W only. I believe that the correct one is the MTF-3, though I'm looking for confirmation. Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Read the owners manual. It will tell you the spec that you're looking for. Post the spec if you can't match it to an available aftermarket fluid.

Thanks for your helpful advice however I'm posting here because I can't access my owner's manual at the present time. I'm looking for answers from forum members, thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Answers appreciated, directions to the owner's manual or referencing looking up the manual or downloading the manual need not apply. Thanks! No offense to anybody however I am looking for real world experiences of people who have used the products, have opinions on the products and can highly recommend the products.....:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Went on Amazon and found 2 different types of Ravenol Manual Transmission fluid. One was MTF-2, which was a 75W-80 fluid and the other was MTF-3, which shows as a SAE 75W only. I believe that the correct one is the MTF-3, though I'm looking for confirmation. Thanks!

Yes, the 75W MTF-3 is the one I bought from Amazon to put in my ‘14 Corolla’s 6MT. My manual said 75W. It’s the closest you’ll get to the OEM viscosity wise. I bought 3 quarts and just had mine drained and filled by a local Goodyear.

Here’s a link to my thread last year re MTF drain and fill:

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1593610

It starts from post #6.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,237 Posts
Yep, I just changed it too. I change my MT gear oil every 30-35k miles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Does the Ravenol bottle say GL4?

No it doesn’t. I know GL4 is safe for MT’s with synchros as they’re conventional based. I used these for my MK4 VW Jetta that calls for it.

This Ravenol 75W MTF-3 is full synthetic. It meets Toyota Europe’s MT spec based on the part number for Toyota 75W LV. I’m assuming that Toyota US uses the same spec too. I did find on the owners manual that GL4 is required. See pic.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Use the OE fluid or Redline. Toyota is calling for a GL4.

Some of the synchromesh fluids are only GL2 or GL3 with an ATF-like additive package.. Kinda surprised that Ravenol left it without a GL rating. Additive package might be weak. I'd probably avoid it.

GM has a 75w GL4...Castrol BOT303
https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-fluid-19259104.html

Mopar too...BOT350
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chrysler-68092630AA-Transmission-Fluid/dp/B00P1878TM[/ame]

·
Registered
123 Posts
Use the OE fluid or Redline. Toyota is calling for a GL4.

Some of the synchromesh fluids are only GL2 or GL3 with an ATF-like additive package.. Kinda surprised that Ravenol left it without a GL rating. Additive package might be weak. I'd probably avoid it.

GM has a 75w GL4...Castrol BOT303

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-fluid-19259104.html

Mopar too...BOT350

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chrysler-68092630AA-Transmission-Fluid/dp/B00P1878TM

Good options there for my next drain and fill. Redline MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 is another one according to last post in this BITOG thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4939536/toyota-lv-75w-substitutes

Now I’m curious what you think of the Ravenol 75W MTF-3 VOA vs Toyota’s 75W LV VOA from BITOG members:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
10 Participants
SupremeCorolla451
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing