Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Kavkaz
08 Tacoma
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called the dealer today to find out my gear ratio, told him my VIN number and he told me that i have 4.10, Got me confused. but what i heard is 05+ Tacos have 3.73 gears. My door sticker showed me following numbers
A/TM A04B/A750F

so anyone could tell me what ratio i have. i did some research and it shows that 04 is 4.56, but i know it BS

·
My Other Truck
4,356 Posts
4.10s were only on 4-cyl. PreRunners and 4x4s. 2WD 4-cyl. got different ratios depending on transmission, and all others (except X-Runner) got 3.73s. Assuming that's your truck in the pic, it's a V6, so it has 3.73 gears.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
This disagrees with both of you, and is probably what you found. Lots of confusion and disagreement on the net it appears.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/toyota-differential-identification-18588.html

Says the A04B means
7.5" ring, 4.56 ratio, 4 pinions, open

If you have a 4T... vin.

You can figure it out the correct answer by marking a tire, marking the drive shaft, and moving forward one tire diameter, and have someone count the drive shaft rotations as you do. Don't jack the truck up to do it, you may not get the right answer.

·
My Other Truck
4,356 Posts
Got my info from a 2005 sales brochure so maybe it's not correct... :dunno:

You're right though, short of counting teeth, rotating a rear tire will tell you what the ratio actually is.

·
Kavkaz
08 Tacoma
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This disagrees with both of you, and is probably what you found. Lots of confusion and disagreement on the net it appears.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/toyota-differential-identification-18588.html

Says the A04B means
7.5" ring, 4.56 ratio, 4 pinions, open

If you have a 4T... vin.

You can figure it out the correct answer by marking a tire, marking the drive shaft, and moving forward one tire diameter, and have someone count the drive shaft rotations as you do. Don't jack the truck up to do it, you may not get the right answer.
My vin starts with 3TM.............
So its not 4.56 then? Freakin a, so confusing.
If i have 33" tires will it make change difference if rotate my shaft? The whole reason is i wanna go with 35" tires and i heard i need to regear, but if i have 4.56 i dont have to do that. Its $1700 just to regear my truck with parts and labor, crazy!

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,029 Posts
It won't make a difference what size tire you have. A 360 degree rotation is still the same regardless of tire size. Tire size just affects the size of the circumference of the turn, not the degrees of rotation.

·
Kavkaz
08 Tacoma
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It won't make a difference what size tire you have. A 360 degree rotation is still the same regardless of tire size. Tire size just affects the size of the circumference of the turn, not the degrees of rotation.
I will try this with my friend this weekend then.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I will try this with my friend this weekend then.

Make him count the driveshaft revolutions, unless you really trust him.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
So its not 4.56 then?

Maybe, maybe not. Thus the confusion.

I couldn't find my window sticker last night, maybe tonight. I have a 05 or 06 brochure at home too, near the sticker. We will see who turns up something faster.

·
Premium Member
2008 Sienna LE
998 Posts
According to the brochure, my 2013 (PreRunner V6) has 3.73 gears. The 2.7l Regular and Access cabs (4x2) have 3.31 (manual) and 3.58 (auto), 2.7l auto Double Cabs (4x2) have 3.58, the 2.7l 4x4 Regular and Access cabs (manual or auto) have 4.10, and the V6 4x4 Access and Double cabs have 3.73. The X-Runner (which is V6 auto only) is 3.15. The X-Runner having 3.15 seems odd to me, since it's supposed to be the sporty model, but should have the slowest acceleration, due to the tall axle.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,029 Posts
Why the window sticker? I have a pic of mine accessible but don't see how that would help.

Edit: you were thinking the codes (C/TR, etc) were on it? Mine aren't. My VIN starts with 3TEM, so it isn't even in the table on that old link. Note that the post in that link is from 2000.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Why the window sticker? I have a pic of mine accessible but don't see how that would help.

Edit: you were thinking the codes (C/TR, etc) were on it? Mine aren't.
Wasn't sure if it would be on the window sticker or not, but if it was, would be the definitive answer (after counting spins).

Geez, rain on my parade with the "2000" post. Why to make me feel insecure for not Reading The Fricking Date (well it almost worked). Interesting that all the comments are no more than three years old tho. Wonder if their webpage date is fouled.

·
edm3rd
09 Prerunner AC
62 Posts
The X-runner has shorter tires (smaller diameter overall with 45 series 18 inch wheels). This gets the "effective" rear axle ratio very close to the rest of the V6 Tacoma's with the 3.73 axles and the taller 245 or 265 tires. Stated another way, very close to the same rpm at a given miles per hour. Also keeps the sticker mpg closer to the rest of the v6 models.

·
Kavkaz
08 Tacoma
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe, maybe not. Thus the confusion.

I couldn't find my window sticker last night, maybe tonight. I have a 05 or 06 brochure at home too, near the sticker. We will see who turns up something faster.
i have my original window sticker and it doesn't say anything about gears ratio

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts

·
Sooner
28 Posts
So its not 4.56 then? Freakin a, so confusing.
If i have 33" tires will it make change difference if rotate my shaft? The whole reason is i wanna go with 35" tires and i heard i need to regear, but if i have 4.56 i dont have to do that. Its $1700 just to regear my truck with parts and labor, crazy!
The first 3 digits of your VIN is the World Manufacturer Identifier. 3TM means your truck was built in Mexico. The 4th through 8th numbers are the vehicle descriptor section which identifies the vehicle platform characteristics. These are specific to each manufacturer. I couldn't find Toyota's codes for axle designation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.