Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Prepare tortilla chips.
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First it was Korea, and now China with its communistic ways is getting into the Automotive Game. I think Daewoo has tried that and failed before merging with GM?

Check out this ridiculous quote.

But at least one privately owned car company, Geely Automotive, has a different picture of the future. Geely founder and chairman, Li Shufu, is blunt: "Joint ventures will fade away over time. Just like what happened with motorcycles. In the future, it will be private Chinese companies that rule the industry."

Little too much confidence there eh? A car built by people earning $3.50 an hour. Yeah, like they are going to rule the automotive industry with their cheap ass cars. I guess for cheap ass people looking for a car to get from point A to point B, and wouldn't mind dying in a fender bender, would be in a market for one.

Well, maybe it could happen 10 or 20 years from now. Hyundai was crap at first, but now it is feared by Toyota. :ugh3:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6981

·
幻影
673 Posts
Its good to keep in mind that toyota, nissan, and honda were all viewed in the same way in the 50's and 60's when they first came to america.

I doubt china will have similar successes like korea and japan, but I'm sure they will find enough dumbasses to buy their cheap pieces of shit.

Oh yea, and I watched the north american international auto show preview today, and its confirmed that Geely will have their own exhibit at the show. :disappoin

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
They will make a mark for sure jsut like all the Japanese manufacturers did before getting to the point hey are at now. The Koreans did not have as much luck but now we have Hyundai and they are getting better with every car they put out.

As for Geely being at the Detroit show, arent they jsut going too have a booth. I thought I heard or read somewhere that they would not have any vehciles but lots of pictures and information.

One other thing to think about is Malcolm Bricklin, of Bricklin automotive fame, is the one that is trying to get one of the Chinese manufacturers, Chery, cars imported over here. He got Subaru here, then of course his wonderful Bricklin, then worked to get Fiat and Yugo here.

Eveyone knows how well Yugo did her. I wonder if the Chinese can build better cars than the Yugoslavians. They lasted what about 4 years here and then now you cant even find one in a junk yard I dont hink.

·
幻影
673 Posts
I heard that they will have 1 model on display, and the display is gonna be in the basement, probably where Isuzu used to be.

I can see how this can fail, but if the quality is decent, I'm sure Geely is gonna give the korean guys a run for their money, because they got poplar for their low prices and good warranty. If the Chinese can do the same in terms of warranty and can prove that their cars aren't pieces of shit, then it's definitely gonna crush the Korean automakers.

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,073 Posts
Well, i for one do know that China has the capability to make high quality products... but the cost advantage is lost. I used to work in a Tool and Die shop and we would get sample 'gifts'. Some were tools and cutting inserts that were made by various chinese maufacturers and the ones of exceptional quality were most expensive.

You get what you pay for.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
mort27 said:
atleast its not going to be as bad as mercedes because i think chrysler bought them out:sosad:
More like Mercedes bought out Chrysler, according to the way that things went...

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
mort27 said:
atleast its not going to be as bad as mercedes because i think chrysler bought them out:sosad:
Like RepiS said, it was the other way around. They called it a merger but I think Diamler had a lot more involved in it than the general public knows or will ever know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts