Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
New to Camry

This is for owners of gen 1 (82 - 86) Camrys.

Post your name (optional).
Year
Trim level
Mods
Future/planned mods
Hello I just bought the following:
Trim level that has no power windows, no power door locks and am/fm cassette (LE??)
Completely stock
Would like to find wheels that would complement the body style.
Different bumpers (front air dam) rear bumper that doesn't stick out as much
driving lights
tint the windows
Upgrade the stereo, stock radio works fine but the tape player doesn't work (it fast forwards and rewinds ok but just doesn't play)
Nice wood steering wheel to complement the tan and brown interior
Have to definitely upgrade the suspension, rides nice but rolls like mad
(urethane bushings, new sway bars, and strut bar anyone have these installed??)
Upgrade the brakes, anyone done a rear disc conversion???
Not trying to make a race car out of it, just want to improve the looks, the sound and handling.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
This is for owners of gen 1 (82 - 86) Camrys.

Post your name (optional).
Year
Trim level
Mods
Future/planned mods
Toyota Camry 1985 Sedan (Deluxe)
Original Color Light blue/Blue interior. Has been repainted sometimes in the mid 90's to White.
149,500 Miles
Still original engine and transmission

The car was handed down to me after I fought keeping this car (very long story on this). Uncle got me a new '07 Nissan Versa for college while I still wanted to keep this car. This car was my grandfather's one as he stopped driving it due to his age, but it was still used as a 'backup' car on a daily basic.

So I got the title and the car is theoretically mines, but due to insurance benefits, it is under my mom's name until I can get those same benefits.

Anyhow, right now I'm just trying to keep up with maintenance which had been lack of there as the car got older and my uncle became lazy to do them. There is a fair amount of sludge in the engine which I have been doing oil changes with Mobile 1 full syn HM 10w40 every 1,000 ~ 1,500 miles with a new filter. Engine stop making a tap from doing the rather frequent oil change. Did the brakes pads about a year ago since one side was near to the plate. Replaced the driver rear tail lens. Just started a drain and refill on the tranny for every oil change since I fixed an electrical issue with it not shifting right. Replace front blinker covers since one was crack with those clear ones from a 90~91 Camry.

Major things that needs to be fix or done

1) CV joints are badly worn. Clicking and clunking. Boots torn and it is too late to save the joints.
2) Tie arms might need replacing. Somewhat lose front end.
3) Suspension in general (struts and mounts for starters. Driver side tire rubs wheel well plastic)
5) Tires all around.
6) Replace drums and their pads. Front need new rotors.
7) Fix rear driver window so it can go up and down (rusted window arm)
8) Other maintance...

...not a major but....

RUST...RUST RUST....ARGGGHH...RUST BEGONE! I'd hate to see how much it'll cost to fix the rust damage...but anyhow...

All in all, just trying to get the body back in shape. Interior is sun damage and faded...but ehhh...As much as I want to get this Camry back to showroom condition, it won't be happening. Afterall, If I wanted to do that, I'dget another Gen1 Camry, but a fully loaded LE. This one makes a perfect canadate for a very nice and clean (but not 'like new') DD where I can try keep and see how much miles I can go until we stop using gas XD.

(Parked infront of my friend's grandmother's house. She passed on her '97 LE V6 Camry to my friend and she got herself an '08 LE V6)

·
Bama Heat
1994 Camry LE Sedan
66 Posts
lol...this is a lot?

We're like ants compare to the Gen2 group. Gen1 is a dying breed :sosad:
haha this is the reason im fixing mine to last forever.
just wait my 18th bday is like, in 3 days, and im gettin a 2k paint job on it.
sooo ill def post another thread when that happens, then im lowering it and new tint.

i just need to find some rims with the 5x100 bolt pattern that i really like, i want the jdm look of deep dish like alot of the SSR and all those kinda rims.

but yeah, we are a dying breed.
but we da best!

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Camry
16 Posts
Am I the only one with an 86 with the stock luggage rack/spoiler on the trunk? I've never seen another camry with one..... which kind of sucks because part of it broke recently and I know it'll be impossible to find another one.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,186 Posts
haha this is the reason im fixing mine to last forever.
just wait my 18th bday is like, in 3 days, and im gettin a 2k paint job on it.
sooo ill def post another thread when that happens, then im lowering it and new tint.

i just need to find some rims with the 5x100 bolt pattern that i really like, i want the jdm look of deep dish like alot of the SSR and all those kinda rims.

but yeah, we are a dying breed.
but we da best!
Nice job. I need to get body work AND paint job done. The paint is holding, but the body needs repair. Rust is evil to these cars.

What I would die to have a Gen1 (Not a Gen1.5, but we all call them 'Gen1' since they are so rare) with that old looking red/tan (two tone) paint job. It was an example in many Toyota Camry '83~'84 ads. It is an awesome color.

EDIT: This is what I mean

Am I the only one with an 86 with the stock luggage rack/spoiler on the trunk? I've never seen another camry with one..... which kind of sucks because part of it broke recently and I know it'll be impossible to find another one.
Stock luggage rack and stock spoiler? I think the luggage rack was there, but a stock spoiler? I don't recall seeing it in a '83 or '86 sales booket. I want to scan it and post it up here though...but it is bigger then my scanner, so it'll take time to crop and merge.

·
Bama Heat
1994 Camry LE Sedan
66 Posts
thats a pretty sweet one, but yeah im going for body work also it needs all around body work because of the tornado haha, but ive replaced the driver sides windows, both tail lights, and loads of other stuff haha.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Camry
16 Posts
Stock luggage rack and stock spoiler? I think the luggage rack was there, but a stock spoiler? I don't recall seeing it in a '83 or '86 sales booket. I want to scan it and post it up here though...but it is bigger then my scanner, so it'll take time to crop and merge.[/quote]

Hahaha, well I refer to it as my "spoiler", but I have yet to see another 86 with a stock trunk luggage rack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A Rare Camry

I think I have the rarest Camry.

1984 Camry LE
1.8L Turbo Diesel
Manual Tranny
No power option but I have cruise.

I am upgrading suspension here really soon, I need ideas as I like good handling. Lets just say I get about 48mpg on the highway doing 70mph. Average is low 40's mpg.

·
5 TOYOTA's 2 LEXUS's :D
168 Posts
Wow I never posted here?

Travis
'85 DX 2.0 w/ around 115k

I bought the car from the original owner for $800 for a delivery job I had, but quickly fell in love with the car and began restoring it.

From the craigslist ad (poor 1G :()

As it sits now

Here's just a basic running list so far

Replaced the front bumper cover (old one had a hole)
Both headlights (old pair had broken tabs and would not stay in place)
Digital gauge cluster
LE Camry mud flaps
LE trunk lining
Window visors
2G clear signal lenses
Mazda 626 horns
Amber fog lights
HD headlight wiring
Window tint 15% rear, 30% sides
4 new Sumitomo HTR T4 tires & alignment
Castrol GTX w/ TOYOTA filter always :)
Brake fluid flush w/ Castrol GT LMA fluid
Axxis Ultimates & Napa rotors (properly bed in)
Alpine CDA9884 Deck w/ iPod connection wired to center console
Infinity Kappa's Front and Rear, rewired
Bazooka tube in the trunk - 8" 200w

Random Maintenance/Items Replaced:
Fuel pump
NGK v-power plugs
NGK wires
Cap
Rotor
Thermostat
New muffler and tip

I'm sure theres more

Future mods:
Suspension upgrades
Some type of motor swap & 5spd (5sfe? 3sgte?!?!)

·
[IMG]http://i1044.photobu
86 toyota camry
12 Posts
mods:
cold air intake
hood scoop
strait piping
after market tac
4 point harnes

future plans:
t2 volvo turbo
volvo intercooler
1986 camry diesel forged internals(bigger bore and smaller stroke less compression;))
new trans(with stage 2 clutch)
tein coilovers(have them need to install)
pirelli tires

future future plans:
3sgte swap

21 - 40 of 56 Posts