Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Camry LE
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Wanting to lower my 86 Camry just a tad. Are there coilovers or anything of the sort that bolt in for these things? I know options are limited. If it comes to it, I'll do some custom work.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Camry LE
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd check out gecko racing might be able to mod the gen 2 coilovers but I'm pretty sure the gen 1 and 2 are almost bolt up suspension wise. maybe also cross reference corollas too see if struts are the same.
thanks for the tip! I’m hoping to not have to drill too many things out if possible.

·
Registered
1985 toyota camry
27 Posts
Hey all,

Wanting to lower my 86 Camry just a tad. Are there coilovers or anything of the sort that bolt in for these things? I know options are limited. If it comes to it, I'll do some custom work.
Ok, so through my journeys with my 85 i have narrowed down that 90's celica fwd( 3rd gen) suspension parts fit. I have purchased lowering springs and they fit like a glove. Although i wasnt able to track down lowering struts and it got old really quick after two times of replacing them. So I finally took the dive and ordered coilovers for her. Had the front ones on a week and dialed in. Then a damn tree falls on the car. In which caved in the roof. Upside is I am a automotive painter and part time body guy. Ive had her for 15+ years, but there is no bringing her back from this. So to conclude, if you search 3rd gen celica fwd suspension you should be able to achieve your goal. and btw the short amount of time that i got to drive her with that setup was amazing! It brought new life into the car, just in the nimble abilities that she gained from it.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Camry LE
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so through my journeys with my 85 i have narrowed down that 90's celica fwd( 3rd gen) suspension parts fit. I have purchased lowering springs and they fit like a glove. Although i wasnt able to track down lowering struts and it got old really quick after two times of replacing them. So I finally took the dive and ordered coilovers for her. Had the front ones on a week and dialed in. Then a damn tree falls on the car. In which caved in the roof. Upside is I am a automotive painter and part time body guy. Ive had her for 15+ years, but there is no bringing her back from this. So to conclude, if you search 3rd gen celica fwd suspension you should be able to achieve your goal. and btw the short amount of time that i got to drive her with that setup was amazing! It brought new life into the car, just in the nimble abilities that she gained from it.
Thank you for this! And so sorry about the car :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey i appreciate the info on this! you said 3rd gen but then said 90s, so do you mean 5th gen (90-93)? Im looking at getting everythung together so after my surgery is healed i can finish her! What fab did you have to do to get it to fit? Im going to do a full write up/video for future 1st gen guys

·
Kanmuri
1985 Camry MT, 2000 Explorer MT
331 Posts
Hey i appreciate the info on this! you said 3rd gen but then said 90s, so do you mean 5th gen (90-93)? Im looking at getting everythung together so after my surgery is healed i can finish her! What fab did you have to do to get it to fit? Im going to do a full write up/video for future 1st gen guys
This has been said to be done quite a few times but nobody has ever provided a picture. I really hope you can find something out and provide some evidence. Would be a bit of a game changer for alot of 1st gen owners out there. Might even encourage me to get another so I can play with it, the one I have now is too near and dear to my heart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This has been said to be done quite a few times but nobody has ever provided a picture. I really hope you can find something out and provide some evidence. Would be a bit of a game changer for alot of 1st gen owners out there. Might even encourage me to get another so I can play with it, the one I have now is too near and dear to my heart.
If i can get someone to confirm the suspension id have no problem doing a write up. I just dont want to drop a grand on the wrong platform

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
If i can get someone to confirm the suspension id have no problem doing a write up. I just dont want to drop a grand on the wrong platform
Buy used OEM parts for comparison and test fit purposes. Junk yards will be your friend.

-Charlie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts