Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
^^ I think the point ended up being that yes, our Camrys aren't the best handlers ever, but for what they are (and are intended to be) they're not as bad as we expect. I seriously enjoyed driving my gen2 more than I do my gen3.5, but as far as midrange torque getting out of a turn Gen3.5 :eek:wned: the gen2.

I've driven a 3-series BMW and a 5.0 Mustang, and going back-to-back from my Camry(s) to them is wherre you definitely feel a difference. The Bimmer knew what I was doing before I did, and the Mustang got through turns fine provided the ass end didn't step out on you:D

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok guys...obviously u guys are ahead of me right now with the suspension mods..i have a 90 dx v6...iv been meaning to lower it but not sure what i can fit in it...muchless if i have the sealed or "servicable" struts...any help pls? email me ur comments at [email protected]...pls name it suspesion bc i get so much junk i just delete them all..if u use yahoo let me know too

·
Grenaded piston
6,622 Posts
Springs = Intrax. Their made for a I4, but they'll work on a V6. The front will just be lower compared to the same springs on a I4.

Struts = KYB GR2 or Tokico. The Tokicos are cartridges, so they'll only work if you have serviceable struts.

Pics of sealed vs. serviceable strut:

http://www.toyotanation.com/faq/all_html2.php?prog=1&lang=en

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page and you'll see the pics.

Notice how a serviceable strut has a nut on top of the strut housing that you can unscrew.

·
I'm Lost
Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
19 Posts
hmm, once again, i am here looking at stuffs for my friend's camry. we are looking to fix up his 1990 camry dx. what i am wondering is, are there any other toyotas other than the camry that one could get suspension parts from, possibly anolder celica or something of the sort. ive noticed that there are many more options for the 89-90 celica than his 90 camry, including adjustable struts and the such...

also, as for the rear swaw bars, where can he find a replacement for it and new bushings? we are definatly looking to get this car handling betterthan it looks at the moment.

if we could getthe car to at least handle aswell as my impreza did stock, im sure we would be more than happy.

peace
tim

·
Broken Toy Hoarder
05 Avalon/96 LS400
24 Posts
My Battle Wagon handles quite nice for a geezer of a car. Slushbox and all it's gotten compliments from all my friends for being fun to drive to it's limits. It get handling compliments from drivers of Firebirds, WRX's, misc Honda's, but my all time favorite was from a driver of a GTI. He said, "Dude, this slow ass wagon is on rails my friend.. it's like that little red caboose."

It's sitting on Intrax, Tokico, Kuhmo 711's and 17's. Cheap and effective.. but it's just a daily driver so what do I care?

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
subyrally said:
hmm, once again, i am here looking at stuffs for my friend's camry. we are looking to fix up his 1990 camry dx. what i am wondering is, are there any other toyotas other than the camry that one could get suspension parts from, possibly anolder celica or something of the sort. ive noticed that there are many more options for the 89-90 celica than his 90 camry, including adjustable struts and the such...
peace
tim

I posted that same question a while back, http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t71134.html but never really got a reply. im inclinded to think yes they would work, but who knows. From what ive also heard is that 90-99 celica springs will also work on the 86-89 celicas. The 80's Celicas share a lot of components with gen2 camry's, but im not sure what makes a spring car specific.

·
A Lone Wolf
98 Posts
good debate would be my 1990 accord vs 88 camry with same modifications

because righ tnow i have F&R strut bars, rear lower tie bar, lowered on AGX's and H&R Race with 205's all around and it has like no body roll.

it is only because there is more aftermarket support for the 4th gen accords than 2nd gen camry's.

·
the gen 2
1989 Camry
495 Posts
i have a 89 camry with the Intrax springs and Monroe Struts ( dont ask, my dad didnt want me to buy new ones.) the car handles great, my dad loves the way it handles as do I. this comming from my dad who works at a toyota dealership, and me who drives ford mustangs all day. i would take my car's suspension set-up over a mustang anyday. it gets into a corner and holds great.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
^of course mustangs handle like shit...they still have solid rear ends and suspension designs from the 1960's.

·
the gen 2
1989 Camry
495 Posts
yea i know, but think of any ford out there and i have driven it, and at the end of the day, i love to get back into my camry and throw it into turns and just have fun with it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.