Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think a gen. 2 RX-7 would make a fun project car?

If I bought one, it would be something in good condition, and not a rust bucket. The ONLY point of buying the car would be to make it into a fast, fun car, and my Camry would be my daily driver. I would want the car to have power AND handle. If I wanted speed, I would buy a 5 liter and put a blower on it and have fun.

Any insight?

Just kickin shit around.

·
Registered
320 Posts
YEAS, YES AND YES. the turbo version would make a great project, not to mention driftn time B-) . the rx would be awesome with some good suspension mods.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
my GOD yes. altho, keep something in mind, they're in the shop ALL THE TIME...and for good reason. frankly, i'm a fan of the turbo II motor...it seems to be the most reliable of the turbo motors for the 7. so look for the fc around with either low mileage, or expect to have a motor swap done right away - too many owners of those beasts have beat them into the ground.

also, check out the rx7 forums for a LOT more info than any of us can give you.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would probably plan on buying a 'tired' one and having the engine pulled, and rebuilt, or get a built crate motor and sell the old one for $200. Updated and stronger apex seals, more reliable components. and shit like that. My goal would be to make 300 HP or so, but still have it somewhat reliable.

Any sites that have crate engines for that car?

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
easily repairable, you can run that mug into the ground and the only thing you'd have to replace blockwise would be the seals or oil lines.

Easy 300 since the turbo's putting out 260-276 anyway - exhaust, intake and port and polish...your biggest obstacle will be transmission - that definitely has to be upgraded to take advantage of the weight and power being put out.

edit: I'll have my homeboy get on and let you know what to expect and what you can do, since he's a 7 junkie.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
B Deuce said:
easily repairable, you can run that mug into the ground and the only thing you'd have to replace blockwise would be the seals or oil lines.

Easy 300 since the turbo's putting out 260-276 anyway - exhaust, intake and port and polish...your biggest obstacle will be transmission - that definitely has to be upgraded to take advantage of the weight and power being put out.

edit: I'll have my homeboy get on and let you know what to expect and what you can do, since he's a 7 junkie.
Cool. I would appreciate that. My best friend is into RX's also, so he has a lot of info, but I want all the opinions I can get.

I know some of the exhaust system upgrades can give you 50 HP - but you need to control the boost or the engine will blow.

·
still chuggin' along
1981 Corolla SR5
234 Posts
Turbo IIs kick major butt. My bro and Dad have Turbo IIs. My dad's has Racing Beat upgrades. If you get an RX-7, go to RacingBeat.com and oogle the upgrades for the RX7. BTW, Racing Beat's complete exhaust system gives you about 59 more HP, and you gotta call and make sure you get their Fuel Cut Control too, if not, the car wont let you run very much boost at all. It's pricey, but worth every penny. I know from experience!

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
i personally don't like the 2gen rx7 yhey didn't look that hot and were too heavy. i've driven a 1gen and the 2gen i haven't had the honor of getting behind the wheel of a 3gen. but out of the two i prefer the 1st cause it's lighter and it's easier to drift in it.
the specs on the ones i drove were as follows:
gen 1:headers&straight exhaust,48dcoe carb(side draft) w/trumpets, heavy port&polish,half dash, aluminum seats, stripped interior, all whell disc, air conditioning, msd ignition w/blaster coil, 13inch stock wheels, limited slip diff.
gen 2:eek:em turbo, headers,heavy port&polish,gutted,fmic no front bumper at the time, msd, injectors.

out of the two i liked the grunt of the older one it felt more alive the second was too bulky for me. and no niether suspension was upgraded they were just working on them at my school and didn't get to it till summer school.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.