Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I stripped the allen nut using the wrong sized key in it and I can't get the damn thing off now. I need to know how to get around this and what size allen key it is so that I can buy one that fits perfectly and not mess it up again :)

Thanks.

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
Use a pair of vice grips to grip the threaded stud (allen portion). Then use a closed end wrench to remove the nut.

You need a 5mm allen wrench.

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm hesitant to use an easy out since the last time my dad and I tried we ended up fucking more things up than we helped.

I can't get my visegrips to hold onto the stud well enough. The stud just slips out. I can't tighten the grips becasue they just pinch off the stud.

Also, I can't get the rear V6 caliper off because I can't get to the two 14mm bolts. Anyone with experience? I can't fit my 1/2 drive sockets in there with the ratchet and my wrench can barely fit around the bracketry.

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how long of an extension?'

You wouldn't happen to know the size of bolt that fits into the three little holes in the front rotor to pull it off since it's stuck onto the hub would you?

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
12 inch? that's what i used (had)

as for the bolt, on my gen 3 its the same as the little bolt that holds on my brake line to the strut, you should and see if it'll thread in there

you could also beat on the drum part of the brake caliper to try and dislodge it, if not then you could remove the little rubber plug and try to slack off the e brake, you'd have to move the teeth "upwards"

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,504 Posts
Now you know to always use the correct tools. :)

Also, with anything that looks like it could be stuck, use plenty of penitrating fluid before attempting disassembly - it will save you a bunch of hassles.

-Charlie

·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, this is a 3 part project, and one part of 3 has been done..

I needed to (a) rebuild struts and replace springs, (b) replace front rotors, and (c) replace rear rotors.

I got the fronts done with few problems, but I can Not get the rear end apart for shit. My Haynes manual just says "same as front" which is basically is, but it's just hard to fit shit together. I can not get the top bolt off the caliper on the driver's side due to the strut bolt blocking my 14mm 1/2 drive socket. It will go on, but crooked and would strip the nut if I used it. I don't have a thinner 14mm 1/2 drive, and I tried a 3/8 (one of the shitty ones that uses a 1/4 adaptor) and it just broke. I need to borrow an actual 3/8 drive socket and see if that works. I can't use a wrench due to confinement like in the picture

Bolt is right in the center of the photo. I can't get a wrench on far enough that I wouldn't round it off.

Any more tips/input other than using the actual 3/8 drive socket?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts