Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....besides getting 30 mpg? i can't afford a new car, but so far i've found zero aftermarket market for gen 2s. is there anything that i can actually do to this car besides routine maintenance? i need to work on something. :(

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
There are lots of things to do to any car.
Talk to 88le. He has a turboed gen 2, and he really knows his shit.:thumbup: Theres also a few others which i cannot place the name of right now. One guy is like steve something...

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
CAR AUDIO!

thats what ive found they are good at...

its not performance, but its easier than doing an engine swap.

just check my www, you can see what you can do. www.cardomain.com/id/stevethecleric its an old site, hasnt been updated recently, but you get the idea

I havent done any performance mods to my car yet, but thats because im saving and researching my 3SGE engine swap at the moment, its coming in a couple of weeks, gotta get ready!

There is a turbo kit now for the gen2, guy is selling it on ebay for about $500, youd need a few other things, but its definatly progress

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
What 0 aftermarket support?

You just have to look harder, namely because it just an older car.

There is the Erebuni kit, lexus es250 front bumper, euro clear corners, you can swap the engine - 3S-GE, 3S-GTE, 5S-FE etc, exhaust upgrades - manifold, cat-back, muffler etc, plus Intrax makes springs, Whiteline makes a rear-sway bar, front strut bar, you can turbo the 3s-fe even!

Plainly there is aftermarket support, you just have to know where to look.

PM any of us Gen 2 owners, we can give you a hand.

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Yeah, working on a gen2 is really fun for some reason. I have a thumpin' system, catback exhaust, intake, NGK plugs.

There is a TON of stuff you can do!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have 2 400w MTX subs and crappy little 250w amp..... that's my car audio so far. :cool:

but yeah..... do catbacks, or CAIs or anything like that actually give you any gains?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm thinking the first mod may be reverse gauges. just for the fun of it. :)

.....after i replace the rusty fenders, broken ignition switch, and broken inside driver's doorhandle. :(

edit: and replace my burnt out "D" on the dash.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
That car looks oddly familiar, oh yeah, its my car's twin, with different shoes!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.....that black sure does look good. :cool:

i need to go out and get mine cleaned up.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Dont see too many black camry's, but they do look sweet.

Was black even a color option on the camry? i think ive only ever seen 2 other black camry's, one on the road, and one that i think *was* black, in a junk yard

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,641 Posts
First, if you can't afford it, think seriously before you start modding your car... always have some money leftover for repairs or other needs...

That being said, there is stuff you can do to your car like the others have said. I'm not going to lie and say there is tons of stuff though! If you want to be able to mod a car easily and cheaply, sell you Camry and get an old Civic hatch or something...

Then again, I have a turbod gen2 Camry... with springs and struts - I'll have new front and rear swaybars very soon, and all new polyurethane bushings. Those with 16 wheels/tires and I'll have a reasonably good handling car. You can do an intake, header and exhaust for cheap and reliable power. You can turbo for more fun... but a lot more cost. There is one body kit out there that you can still get, and stereo stuff like the other guys have mentioned.

So, you have things you can do. Its up to you whether you do them.

-Charlie

PS. Now I almost want to paint my Camry black... :) Even more stealth and sleeper.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
your car is pretty much what i want mine to look like, if i end up modding it, white. as the only difference between our cars is that yours is a dx and mine's just a bottom model. :rolleyes:

·
Mad Scientist-In-Training
922 Posts
Gen2 Camry's are great cars, I have 3.

1989 V6 5-speed -
This is my Turbo 2VZ Project.

1989 I4 5-Speed -
New daily driver, soon to be deployed after a few things are done.

1989 I4 Auto "Slush Puppy" -
My current daily driver, a.k.a "The I-78 Express"
:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i want a stick. :(

edit: if anybody wants an automatic instead of their stick, i'll trade you ;)

·
Mad Scientist-In-Training
922 Posts
Speshull Droo said:
i want a stick. :(

edit: if anybody wants an automatic instead of their stick, i'll trade you ;)
Allow me to save you some valuable time:

That will never ever happen.....:lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
toyrolla said:
Allow me to save you some valuable time:

That will never ever happen.....:lol:

i know....

......but it doesnt mean i can't dream. :(

·
Rotor > Piston
91 Camry, 90 RX7
411 Posts
i'm just waiting for my trans to go myself. The clunks are getting louder :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts