Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So the 2.2L 5S-FE engine in my 98 Camry just bit the dust, either it has rod knock or a dropped valve (sounds like a bunch of rocks in the engine, barely runs).

Anyway, I've looked on car-part.com and various other locations and all 97+ engines go for $900-2000 depending on mileage and condition. I found a local with a 96 2.2 for cheaper and I'm wondering what the major differences are.

I know that pre-96 is OBD1, so I should be fine there, but I heard that the head castings are different for 97+, and that cam/crank position sensors were used. Is this correct?

I haven't taken the old engine out yet, so I don't know if anything is salvageable besides the accessories like intake and exhaust manifolds, alternator, etc. I did pull the valve cover and can see metal shavings/bits throughout it, so I don't think the head can be salvaged either.

Any help or info would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
96 should swap easily with 97-01.

OBD 1 with a distributor can be made to work with OBD2 engines with coils. Would need to swap swap intake cam and distributor plug. There are some sensor issues (cam/crank), but not overly difficult.

Spending over 1000 for a used motor might not be the most economical thing to do. Gen 4 camrys are around 2000$ now in running condition.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
96 should swap easily with 97-01.

OBD 1 with a distributor can be made to work with OBD2 engines with coils. Would need to swap swap intake cam and distributor plug. There are some sensor issues (cam/crank), but not overly difficult.

Spending over 1000 for a used motor might not be the most economical thing to do. Gen 4 camrys are around 2000$ now in running condition.

I was wondering that about a 96 engine, it seems like pre-96 OBD1 had a distributor and then 97-01 were the same but 96 was kind of in limbo. I did see someone parting out a 96 I think, but I managed to find a better deal shortly after posting this.

I found a 99 Camry with 154k on it with a healthy engine (full timing belt job done at 144k) for $500 for the whole car, it's somewhat smashed on the front driver side but doesn't affect the engine at all. Should be picking it up this Saturday morning. I'm in the process of removing the bad engine from mine right now. I only paid $1500 for mine, but didn't know the engine was going to blow up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts