Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble deciding what to do with my front end, and I really need some advice. So here's the situation:

The headlights on my gen 3.5 arent misaligned and cannot be realigned because of the fractured mounting brackets. I thought about getting aftermarket headlights off ebay, but I am a poor college student and I'm not sure of the reliability of no-name aftermarket parts, especially if they are sold on ebay.

Currently I have gen 3 headlights that I bought from a local junkyard since they dont have any from gen 3.5's. The only reason I did this is because I feel unsafe driving with misaligned headlights during the night. Of course, I attached the gen 3 grille on top of the gen 3.5 bumper. >_< It looks so weird cuz of the extra material on the bumper. I thought about having no grille, but just looks so "junky". No offense to anyone with no grille.

Long story short, should I convert my front end to a gen 3, or should I settle for ebay headlights? And if i should convert to gen 3, what is involved with the conversion?

Thanks in advance.

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
if you have the gen 3 grille and headlights, all you need to do is cut the lip off of the gen 3.5 bumper and youre golden. thats what i did, works fine.

try a search- there are a couple recent threads on this.

·
Lex Zues!
95 Camry
4,900 Posts
if you paid more than $120 for those lights you got jipped. new depos are like $120 and they look 100 times better.

either way, do what damon said above

·
Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
805 Posts
louie1086 said:
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble deciding what to do with my front end, and I really need some advice. So here's the situation:

The headlights on my gen 3.5 arent misaligned and cannot be realigned because of the fractured mounting brackets. I thought about getting aftermarket headlights off ebay, but I am a poor college student and I'm not sure of the reliability of no-name aftermarket parts, especially if they are sold on ebay.

Currently I have gen 3 headlights that I bought from a local junkyard since they dont have any from gen 3.5's. The only reason I did this is because I feel unsafe driving with misaligned headlights during the night. Of course, I attached the gen 3 grille on top of the gen 3.5 bumper. >_< It looks so weird cuz of the extra material on the bumper. I thought about having no grille, but just looks so "junky". No offense to anyone with no grille.

Long story short, should I convert my front end to a gen 3, or should I settle for ebay headlights? And if i should convert to gen 3, what is involved with the conversion?

Thanks in advance.

Did you purchase the headlight and the bracket? What is different between the 3 and 3.5? 95 is 3 and 96 is 3.5?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RedPhoenix said:
if you paid more than $120 for those lights you got jipped. new depos are like $120 and they look 100 times better.

either way, do what damon said above
i bought both headlights for $59.

how much of a hassle is it to cut the bumper? is it something DIY or do i gotta go the a body shop?

also, is there any harm in having no grille? i mean, if thats the easiest option, then i might just take off the grille and leave it at that.

thanks again.

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
wont matter if you dont have a grille. here, these will help:

95-96 bumper with 92-94 headlights, no grille:

95-96 bumper with lip cut to fit, 92-94 headlights and grille:

Its a simple DIY, I actually used a pair of side cutters to remove the material because a dremel was taking too long, then I just sanded it flush. It isnt perfect yet, but the only people that notice are on the boards :lol:

·
Odaiba Romance
358 Posts
Damon and Matt, the 2 crazy white camry owners. j/k for mandyfig, the gen 3 is 92' - 94' and the gen 3.5 is some really late model 94's, 95' and 96'. The main differences I've seen are the lip on the gen 3.5 front bumper cover, the grill, and the main headlight housings are a little bit smaller and sharper. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. :lol: Btw Damon, how's the CF trunk holding up?

·
Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
805 Posts
shingouki808 said:
Damon and Matt, the 2 crazy white camry owners. j/k for mandyfig, the gen 3 is 92' - 94' and the gen 3.5 is some really late model 94's, 95' and 96'. The main differences I've seen are the lip on the gen 3.5 front bumper cover, the grill, and the main headlight housings are a little bit smaller and sharper. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. :lol: Btw Damon, how's the CF trunk holding up?
Hai-hai, wakarimashta! Domo-domo. I do have a 3.5, means minor front end change, mainly headlight, corner and bumper lenses, correct? I have a 95 LE.

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
you have that many posts and you dont know what gen you have?:confused:

·
Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
805 Posts
Can't beat your posts...it is what it is....I know I have a 95. Now I know better. Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your advice guys. I'm probably going to saw the extra bit off, if I could find myself something to do it with. Hopefully it will turn out good.

Btw, do any of you know how to replace a Lower-control arm? The tab connecting mine to the stablizer bar fractured.

·
95 camry couple le
95 camry coupe le
43 Posts
(louie)=> to replace that lower control arm... your gonna have to take off the 2 main bolts that connects to the frame, the stabilizer link, and the lower balljoint which should basically be held by the castle nut... i never did it on my camry but thats the basic way to take off a lower control arm... and when you buy the control arm, make sure the bushings are in good shape and not dry rotted (if its not new)....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts