Toyota Nation Forum banner

Gen 3 AC button part number and glovebox light wiring?

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ed. 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone got their hands on the A/C button and can see the part number on the plastic, or at least know what the part number is? My AC button has the black paint coming off due to years of use. I don't like the paint coming off. It's really activating my almonds, but I don't know what the part number is since the EPC catalogue I use seems to have completely different diagrams and I can't verify for sure as to whether it's actually the correct part number. It seems that gen 4 variants use the same button but I don't know if the fitment has changed (e.g. locking tabs moved to different positions or something like that). The catalogue shows part number 55905-33170 but trying to google that number doesn't give any photos unfortunately.

Also does anyone know how the glovebox wiring was set up? Before anyone mentions wiring diagrams, it seems that AU camrys have everything completely different (heck, the integration relay is a circuit board with ICs on it mounted to the left of the glovebox instead of what foreign markets had with the fusebox mounted integration relay). The ES300 wiring diagram does mention that it's hooked up to IH2 - instrument panel wire and cowl wire (instrument panel left) but assuming that harness exists in my car.

ooooh looks like the glovebox light plug was simply taped up to one of the harnesses, just waiting for a glovebox light to be hooked up! Now I just have to order the switch and light assembly as those were absent - there's a slot for the light and a hole whose purpose I've been wondering for the longest time until now...as the switch fits perfectly there.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi Ed,
I took my dash apart to make sure: the part number for the AC button is the same for both JPN built and NAP built Gen3 Camrys: Denso 158926.

The Toyota part number was 84660-33010 for all models, all years, from '92~'96.
There was a service campaign to deal with a quality issue in 12/'92, you can tell the date of your switch by looking at the end where the wire harness connects to it:
The bottom line will have a 2 digit month and a letter for the year,
K = 90
L = 91
M = 92
N = 93
etc.
As long as the letter is N or higher its got the countermeasure, for whatever the quality issue had been.

The Gen4 Camry did use the same switch, until the end of the '97 MY, then it changed to the 84660-33020 part number. According to what I can see, it sure looks like that later AC switch is interchangeable with the earlier one, at least physically. You'd have to try one to be sure if it is the same in all internal ways.

Norm

#3 · (Edited)
Aww yiss, thanks for that, will get that to my parts guy tomorrow along with the glovebox light assy and switch, thanks!

I'm assuming the Denso number is the whole assembly? Googled the number and it turned up a few listings for the entire climate control interface. Wait never mind, saw an amazon listing for the OEM switch that has that denso number visible in the photo.
Product Technology Electronic device Electrical supply Switch

Also what's the little grey circular thing? Is that a dial to set the button push resistance or something? Also did you just take apart your entire dash right then and there just for this post? My hat's off for you...

edit: would you happen to know of anyone that has an engine under cover, no. 4? I'm actually not too sure what the difference is between the Camry and ES300 parts, but they use different numbers - 51447-33020 for the Camry, 51447-33010 for the ES300. Apparently Toyota has no more in stock so I'm wondering if you know of anybody that has one for sale or something.

#4 ·
Also what's the little grey circular thing?
That’s a light bulb. You have to unscrew it a quarter turn and dig it out of there.

#6 ·
In that case: time to go searching salvage yards for one in good enough condition, I'm afraid

Note: if the dealer says its out of stock you can still try hitting up whomever comes up in a google search. I did find a couple of parts after being a persistent pest (most of them don't keep their websites up to date on car parts this old, and so you place an order then a week later they cancel it and return your money - until one of them actually delivers it, not always, but it has happened for me a couple of times).

Regarding that engine under cover, if there is a difference, it might be small enough to be made to work, as the front fascia is differently styled but based on the same general proportions.

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah I know a guy who can get parts directly, apparently it's completely out of production, no stock at all. Google shows quite a few dealerships in the US that seem to still sell them though, but failing that I'll see if there's decent one in a junkyard and while I'm at it, might check if there's a plastic cover for the cabin air filter slot.

As for the engine under cover, the holes seem to be the same but the one for the camry seems to have a scoop cut out to draw in air, I think it's for one of the air conditioning refrigerant pipes or something:
Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Subcompact car

This one is located in Venezuela or something and honestly I wouldn't mind buying it if I knew how to...too bad I'm not even sure if the seller can ship internationally and I can't understand Spanish lol. I don't know how things are in Venezuela at the moment but if anyone here who happens to live in/near Venezuela and can read Spanish...I'd be happy to pay to get it shipped to aus.

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper part

This one is 51447-33010 and it appears to have the same layout for holes and screws, but it lacks the cutout.

#8 ·
Aww yissss, managed to score a glovebox light assembly and switch, installed it and it works without a hitch! Although I'm not sure if it's an aftermarket one or not - the assembly has a plastic cage acting as the cover for the bulb, presumably so you don't touch the globe by accident. I was under the assumption that it'd be a plastic cover not unlike the interior dome light. I've already bought a brand new one through work though, I'll probably sell the used one once it arrives.

Also got my hands on a fairly decent condition A/C button from the same yard I pulled the glovebox light and switch from. Although I also bought a switch off Amayama, I'll probably sell the used switch if the new one actually ends up arriving.

Also for potential future aussie camry owners - seems like even the earlier 3rd gen camrys (assuming they're early judging by the left footrest for autos) use the 4th gen AC unit - the slot for a cabin filter is blocked over with plastic so you need to cut it out, but the tabs and retaining loop for the cover are still there. Unfortunately the cover seems completely absent on all the models, it's very possible that these are 1994 year models and onwards. I even tried pulling the heater core cover on the passenger side but there's nothing there either, just the heater core. There's also no wrecking yards that have ES300s near where I am as far as I'm aware. If anyone knows of any wrecking yards that have ES300s and are willing to grab that that lump of plastic and ship it over here I'd be willing to pay...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.