Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Gen 3 owners,
I have 93 Camry SE V6 Sedan w/ a manual tranny. It has about 106k now. It seems my suspension is getting a bit looser around corners and bumpy over certain road conditions.
I would like to replace the shocks or struts. I leaning towards Koni or Tokico. According to the manufactuere's specs, the 92-93 had sealed struts and 94-96 had servicable struts. But according to other posts and groups that was not the case. Before I go ahead and purchase new shocks, how can I tell if I have servicable or sealed struts/shocks?
I see on car I have a boot over the strut. The servicable ones have no boot? Maybe my model will help. I have VCV10L-AEMSKA.
Can someone break this down?
What is the stock height of the Camry SE? My rear seems about .5 inch or so lower than the front. If that's how it suppos to look if I get Eiback pro Kit than damn it looks good but not to low and still looks stock height.
Front strut bar? What does everyone have out there? There are so many and seem tempted to buy off EBay but they look so cheap.
Lastly, is it worth getting the rear sway bar from Whiteline? Anyone have one and want to sell it?

Thanks,
Harry

·
CTM/ShiftGate CAMRY
Jspec 92 Camry V6
1,253 Posts
Hey man you do not have servivable struts I believe and I would go Koni...my Tokicos struts wore out to quick for me!!!! Prings wise I hear the Vogland and whitelines are nice!

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
11,229 Posts
Toyota says:
92-94 use non sealed.
95-96 use sealed and different mounts than the 92-94.
the excption being most 94 models (Jap. and Amer.) built after october 94 use the same mounts and sealed struts as the 95-96 models.

...this seems not to always be the case.

so...

Just jack up one corner of your car and take alook.

If its welded at top its a sealed strut.

If you see a nut that you can unscrew its non-sealed / serviceable.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
2,956 Posts
racerhex said:
Hey man you do not have servivable struts I believe and I would go Koni...my Tokicos struts wore out to quick for me!!!! Prings wise I hear the Vogland and whitelines are nice!
I thought Koni only made inserts for servicable struts... :confused:

·
getn groceries in style
1,125 Posts
racerhex said:
are you kidding man?? wtf maybe you should invest in some self preservation skillz!!! either that or use your tokico warranty to get some new ones...

im curious what kind of spring setup you have... because my front is dropped about 3" and the rear 2", not any problems yet with the tokicos- only goodness!!

jon

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
2,956 Posts
Have any of you guys tried Bilstein? I fucked up one of my strut housings when taking the stock cartridge out, and after a couple months of driving with the Tokico cartridge in there it got damaged and is shot. :( I'm thinking of replacing the rears with full Bilstein assemblys.

·
Grenaded piston
8,546 Posts
Koni makes full struts / shocks as well as inserts for non-sealed (serviceable) struts.

However according to the faq Koni only makes inserts for a gen 3.

Gen3:
Koni Special [Reds] (inserts only) (Front: #86-2484 / Rear: #86-2485)

And I see that Bluemeanie found the pic of my strut. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.