Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the front grill on the 3.5, what are the differences between the Gen3 and 3.5?

I'm planning on buying yet another Camry, though I want a later model as I'm scared that the parts might be hard to find. (I live in South Africa after all... ;))

Any help would be massively appreciated!!! :thumbup:

(PS: I love the dash, so I'm just hoping that THAT didn't change...)

·
How hard can it be?
1996 Camry LE
1,782 Posts
Well, aside from the grille, headlights, front bumper, tail lights, trunk filler panel, and the front passenger air vent, the gen3's and 3.5's are the same. The differences are just very minor cosmetic changes that Toyota made to update the car a little. Mechanically, they are identical. Just about 99% of the all the parts can be interchanged between the two generations.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yup... just like Gen 4 and 4.5... only difference is the backlights, headlights, grill and AC control.. everything else is the same :p Good'ol Toyota:rolleyes:

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
The differences are just very minor cosmetic changes that Toyota made to update the car a little. Mechanically, they are identical.
thats half true. mechanically, the engines changed at least in the U.S. gen3 from 92-93 had the 3vz V6 and the gen3(94) and 3.5 had the 1mz. the 3.5 5sfe was also tweeked to give, apparently 5hp less, then the gen3:confused:.

i realize this may not be the same everywhere but i dont want someone reading this thinking the wrong thing about a USDM or equivalent model.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
even on the 2.2L 5sfe, gen3 and gen 3.5, besides the exterior cusmetic differences, the engine does have some mirror differences, such as distributor smaller on gen 3.5, exhaust manifold cover, washer bottle, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys.
I'm really looking forward to actually buying it now.

I'm bargaining with the owner of a 220Si '98, and apparently it's never been in an accident or even been dinged...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, aside from the grille, headlights, front bumper, tail lights, trunk filler panel, and the front passenger air vent, the gen3's and 3.5's are the same. The differences are just very minor cosmetic changes that Toyota made to update the car a little. Mechanically, they are identical. Just about 99% of the all the parts can be interchanged between the two generations.

Does this mean that the front/rear bumper on a gen3 wont bolt on to a gen 3.5? I noticed that the lights are different in the bumper is there more?

Thanks

·
How hard can it be?
1996 Camry LE
1,782 Posts
I've don't know of anyone who did a complete cosmetic conversion of a gen3.5 to a gen3. Maybe the other way around though. Most do a "hybrid" face-lift. They use clear DEPO gen3 headlights and gen3 grille on a gen3.5 to do an HID projector retrofit. The rear bumpers look the same, so there shouldn't be a problem with that swap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks. I am just looking to change the plastic cover part. They are cracked and I found some really cheap ones from a Gen3. The downside is I have to drive and hour to get them and I have to take the off myself, so I wanted to be sure they will fit.

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Gen 3 & 3.5 have different part#s for the front bumper cover
gen 3 front pt# 52611-06900 92-94
gen 3.5 front pt# 52611-AA900 95-96
The rear lists the same # 52159-06900 for 92-96
The only difference that I could see is that brake vent hole is open on the gen3 and the 3.5 has a horizontial piece that is across the vent hole.
I believe that you can switch them without problem.
Bear

Bear

·
How hard can it be?
1996 Camry LE
1,782 Posts
There's also the 2 piece bumper lights on the gen3 vs. the 1 piece on the gen3.5. The gen3.5 bumper also has a lip where the grille meets the bumper. The gen3 doesn't have that lip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts