Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Help! I got this strange issue about my cooling system. Car runs find. Plenty of power. When the car is moving, car is running fine. The wierd part is when it idles, it starts to get hot. The temp guage starts to move up. It got so close to H the other day I was going McD's drive thru. I ended up turning the heater on full blast and it seems to hold the temop between normal and High.
After I left the drive thru, the temp went back down to normal. What's the problem? I'm scared that I maybe causing more damage if I keep gambling like this without fixing it. I very worried I may have a blown head gasket. I engine had a valve job about 5k miles ago.
Lastly, I went to purchase new tires for my Gen 3 Camry and Sears mentioned that I needed a camber kit to correct the alignment problem. It pulls to the left. I want to fix this before I start shredding my tires. Where do I get a camber kit and how much do they usually cost?
Please advise.

Thanks,
Harry
93 Gen 3 Camry V6 SE 5 SPD

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm guessing that either the fan isn't working or the rad fins are blocked. Did you check the coolant?

As for the kit, most places like that recommend a kit just to make more money. Was there abnormal wear that suggests the camber was out that far on the last tires?

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
you wont need a camber kit. just get a wheel alignment.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
htang4,

I agree with karazy who suggested the fans are not coming on. Get this problem corrected first before you do damage to the engine.

As far as the car pulling to the left, swap the 2 front tires with each other as an experiement. If the car now pulls to the oposite side, the tire that you just moved to that side is defective. It has what's known as a "radial pull." This will correct itself when you replace the tires.

Mike

·
Registered
431 Posts
Be like Mike, check the fans....and coolant. Hopefully there's nothing with your radiator. Make sure its not crack or leaking anything.

Calvin

·
Registered
1997 Toyota Camry LE
182 Posts
Check the coolant and make sure it's at the proper level. Another thing to check is the thermostat, which is most likely the culprit for your overheating issues. It's probably not opening up correctly, thus the rise in your engine temperature. I had the exact same problem as you did. When I was crusing on the highway, the temp wasn't as high as when I was idling at a traffic light. If you can change radiator hoses, you can definitely change your thermostat because dealers will rip you off. After I had my thermostat changed, the overheating issues went away but several weeks later my radiator started leaking a lot of coolant :mad: .

·
Registered
44 Posts
All good advice, but dont forget the radiator cap which maintains pressure in the cooling system. For every 1 psi lost- temp will go up 6 degrees.

·
Registered
312 Posts
first off, that cars cooling fan is hydraulic, it uses power steering pump fluid to run it, check the p/s fluid level (u may have a rack and pinion leaking)

next, turn key on and unplug the cooling fan switch,, it is a single wire switch on the drivers side of motor, its on the gooseneck off of the head (should be a couple of other switches next to it) with key on and the switch unpluged the fan should kick in. the fan always runs on that car, however, there is not much flow until it kicks in fully. if that kicks up the airflow, then replace that cooling fan switch.

And for the camber issue. Toyota sells camber bolts for the strut holes, the shafts are thinner allowing for adjustment, you need 2 for each side, there are 3 different sizes (depending on how far out the specs are) I would go with the middle size. they are about $5 each

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the replies.

First, I'll check the coolant level and p/s fluid. If they are ok...

Then on to cooling fan switch. Where is it exactly? It is labeled in or close to the fuse box right below the left front strut? If it's unpulgged and the fan doesn't go on...

I will move to the thermostat. I can fill the fluids, change the cooling fan switch but how do I check and change the thermostat? I guess changing the radiator cap as well might be good too?

As for the camber issue. I went to Sears 3 times and the last 2x they noted on the repair order, to get a camber kit. I still am under a 6 month warranty with them. I still can go back and have it adjusted until January I think.

Deekay140, can I buy the bolts from my local Toyota dealer? What are the part numbers? Wow, I need 2 for each side and there are 3 different sizes? If I give you the specs Sears gave me, can you recommend which ones to get? Also, can I just buy a kit/set from Toyota or someone cheaper?

Thanks,
Harry
93 Camry SE V6

1 - 10 of 10 Posts