Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pimpin' In Paradise.
2000 Toyota Camry
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've searched for a few minutes now, but I can't find the answer so I'm asking. I have a 2000 Camry with 18" wheels, Vogtland springs, and Tokico Struts. I took my car to get an alignment today at Meineke (I know) and they told me that I need a camber kit. I was under the impression that there was no kit for my year car or that I didn't need one, as I have had my car aligned in the past at professional alignment shops before without anyone ever mentioning camber kits. Alas, I just moved to a new state and have not located any specialty shops as yet.

My last set of wheels wore down on the inside after about two years.

My questions are:

1. Do I need a camber kit? And if so, where can I get one?

2. Why do my tires keep wearing down on the inside even though I get my car aligned?

Thanks!

·
Nostalgia Member
6,609 Posts
if they are wearing on the inside, you have too much negative camber ... and you do need a camber kit because you are probably lowered too much without any camber correction

i believe you can find kits at TireRack, among other places

you should only be running -0.53* of camber in the front to be up to factory specs, if i remember correctly

·
Pimpin' In Paradise.
2000 Toyota Camry
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the response. I will look into it.

·
Pimpin' In Paradise.
2000 Toyota Camry
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took my car to a specialty alignment shop and they were able to get me back to factory specs without a camber kit. My toe was horribly off and they recommended I get my alignment checked everytime I do a bal/rotate.

Don't take your car to Meineke or any other crappy store because they will give you wrong information.

Just thought I'd share.

·
[g4.Rep]
1999 Toyota Camry LE
1,591 Posts
That shop seems okay- but wouldn't an alignment job cost more if you gotta do it everytime you rotate wheels? idk- i think that the camber kit would be a better cost and time effective option to take.

i mean- its $30 and you can keep it on there for tires and tires after...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAMB...023QQitemZ360034539437QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Idk.. no pun intended but that shop's suggested option seems like its to their advantage.

good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts