Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To any Gen 4 camry owners:

I think my dashboard lights are going to die out soon. The light behind my fan-speed knob does not turn on sometimes when I turn on the dash-lights at nite. but the rest of the center-dash lights work fine. (heat, fan position, etc.)

but if I give the side of the center console a good punch (the gas-pedal side), the light comes back on behind my fan-speed knob.

does anyone know if this is a simple thing to fix? or not worth taking off the entire console faceplate to fix it?

·
Turbo-Yota power
1,774 Posts
I had around the same problem on my car and its all because those dam lights always get too hot what you got to do is replace the bulb because the contact area is melted.Anyways if this is not your problem still check the light socket and change the bulb and if this does not work tell me and i will find another possible problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Camry RR,

So you do suggest changing the dach-light bulbs?

Problem is I have never taken off the center console dash. (i never got around to installing my amp and thus never touched the stereo deck either).

you know any sites with the gen 4 camry specs and guides to help me remove it?
I hear its hard, and people often crack it when removing the center console frame plate.

·
Turbo-Yota power
1,774 Posts
What you got to do is be very carfull and pull from the botum by remouving the ash tray then from there its easy as long as you carefully remouve one side at a time on the consol.I have done it like 40 times and never craked it.If you realy want to ask people come on http://www.Camryman.org and ask them cause for me it was dam easy to do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so once removing the center console plastic cover, (after removing the ash tray) is there anything else to remove?

or will I be looking at the light-bulbs after i take off the center console plastic cover?

thanks,
JJ

·
Turbo-Yota power
1,774 Posts
There are a couple other things to remouve ,i have only replaced my shifter light and my ash tray one so im not 100% what you have to do to remouve the face plates.Your best bet is http://www.camryman.org.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine did that also, and I changed the bulbs...it works well now....to access the bulbs you'll need to remove the trim around the stereo/ac control, and then remove 4 bolts that hold the ac control face, after that you just need to remove the old bulbs and change it with the new one....I changed mine with the hyperwhite polarg and it looks pretty nice....match the indiglo gauges =)

CamryRR...How do you replace the shifter light? Mine doesn't work and I have no idea how to change the bulbs, I tried to remove the shift knob but still I can't find the bulbs....

·
Turbo-Yota power
1,774 Posts
Well its not easy the first time i did it i scratched my plastic.What you got to do is remouve the center consol trim and then you got to rpy the shifter area with a flat head srew driver,i dont remeber if there is any screws in the center consol but look fist and take them off if there are some.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I changed mine with the hyperwhite polarg and it looks pretty nice....match the indiglo gauges =)
It doesn't get to hot? I wanted to do that too (I have the hyperwhite polarg for my indiglos too), but camryRR said the problem might be that the bulbs get too hot and the contacts melt. I think the hyperwhites are hotter than the stock bulbs in my gauge cluster.

Also, are the AC lights 186/194 size?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts