Toyota Nation Forum banner

GEN 4 Camry owners...... Help w/ timing belt GAMBLE !

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kamrhee 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought my 2000 V6 Camry LE stick shift used at 92k miles a few years ago. Right now 103kmiles. I have not replaced its timing belt yet because of various reasons.

1) Have been furnishing new home... :D

2) I looked at the belts outside and they LOOK new to me. I mean the belts are ORIGINAL Toyota because there is a GREEN STAMP on the belts and it says TOYOTA MITS@BISHI 993662104 something on it. The stamp looks very new and the belt condition is very new. I am speculating that the belts were changed along with the timing belt. The person must have got the timing belt changed when the belts were changed.

Now........ Please tell me. Do I describe the original belts that are put in by the manufacturer does it sound like they were replaced later..???????

I know it is a long shot in the dark...
I am thinking about changing the belt by next month...... $280.00 + $$$ for the water pump so around $300.00....

Is there no way to tell if the timing belt cover seal was broken/modified from when the car was originally manufactured. If may be the nuts look like they were opened and closed.... :(

I am pretty sure if I have 10 very expert mechanics look at my car closely, they can tell...

See less See more
#4 ·
are you assuming because the belts that run the alternator and steering pump look new that the timing belt must be new as well?? if im understanding you correctly, thats not a good assumption to make. i know people will flame me for this, but if you dont have the time or money to change it now, wait a bit. ive heard of belts lasting to 200k miles but you do run the chance of having it break and being stuck somewhere. luckily there wont be any engine damage.

#5 ·
ghettosled said:
are you assuming because the belts that run the alternator and steering pump look new that the timing belt must be new as well?? if im understanding you correctly, thats not a good assumption to make. i know people will flame me for this, but if you dont have the time or money to change it now, wait a bit. ive heard of belts lasting to 200k miles but you do run the chance of having it break and being stuck somewhere. luckily there wont be any engine damage.

Hmm.... As far as mechanics... nobody wants to come out and take a peek at my car. They just say... 90k miles plus you change your timing belt.. Do u want us to change it for you? If not, get lost.... :lol:

Uhhhhh.. I am tired of this. I will get this done by next month.

My dealer charges $280.00 plus the water pump for $160. It should be around $500.00 for ALL belts and the water pump.

Other shops charge the same so I'm just taking it to the dealer.

#6 ·
For some reason that seems a bit excessive for a timing belt, although I guess I have never bought one.

I guess that is installed and such. What made you decided to have to water pump changed too. I've heard way to many people say you dont need to change it if its hasnt gone bad, and then a whole handful that say you should just replace it while you have the timing belt assembly all off... idk, just asking your personal reasoning.

#7 · (Edited)
Corollacrazy42 said:
For some reason that seems a bit excessive for a timing belt, although I guess I have never bought one.

I guess that is installed and such. What made you decided to have to water pump changed too. I've heard way to many people say you dont need to change it if its hasnt gone bad, and then a whole handful that say you should just replace it while you have the timing belt assembly all off... idk, just asking your personal reasoning.
Water pump will cost me more financially and emotionally if it dies at 150k miles for me. At this point I plan to keep the car till goes into ground at 600k miles.. :D... but next few summers gas prices will determine the fate.

It is getting to the water pump and the timing pump that is most costly. Pay a little more at one time and for the peace of mind and get the water pump replaced too.

I am serioiusly thinking about a way to dig out OLD OWNER information.... I mean these timing belt secrets are ridiculous. Somebody has got to do something.........

Do I contact the department of transportation? :disappoin

#8 ·
just an fyi, even if you find a mechanic (or if you are willing) to pop off the top timing belt cover to inspect the timing belt, theres no way to tell its age unless its in really bad shape. the original belt that was on my camry i changed about a year ago still looked new even though it was 10 years old and had about 100k miles on it. at least this only needs to be done once every 90-100k miles!

#9 ·
Just change both. What is worth you peace of mind? I know toyota makes good parts and my water pump lasted about 125K mi. before I changed it. It wasn't damaged but I know its all worn. It just takes one belt to break or a water pump to sieze and before you know it, you're looking to replace the same parts and maybe more (engine sieze) plus the hassle and your time. It might sound outrageous now but you don't want that to happen to you.

kamrhee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.