Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

For 1998 Camry LE, do I have to drill some holes into front doors and rear deck to install my new speakers?

Speakers: Alpine SPS170 A (front) and SPS690A( rear)

I just want to make sure before I start to remove the panels :)

Any suggestion to avoid drilling holes will be appreicated.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I am lucky? :)

Just opened the box, front speakers Alpine SPS170a come with two adapter plates, which will be fastened onto the doors using three screws. And then the speakers will be fixed on the adapter plates using 4 screws. Does that mean I don't need to drill holes onto the doors?

But for rear speaker SPA690A no such adapters:(

·
Registered
99 camry le v6
148 Posts
i had a beatshop install the speakers in the rear for me and they drilled holes. for the front speakers i made my own brackets with splashguards out of metal. go to the link on my sig.

·
Registered
87 Posts
BEI said:
Maybe I am lucky? :)

Just opened the box, front speakers Alpine SPS170a come with two adapter plates, which will be fastened onto the doors using three screws. And then the speakers will be fixed on the adapter plates using 4 screws. Does that mean I don't need to drill holes onto the doors?

But for rear speaker SPA690A no such adapters:(
You have to take the stock speakers out and see if the holes match, I doubt it. But drilling a hole its not that hard.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have finished the front door speakers installation. Pretty easy
especially, prying out the door handle bezels, (1-2-3 then done)

hclee25 is right. For any aftermarket 6.5" speaker, you have to drill holes. The three crew holes are not placed evenly 60 degree each :(, so I couldn't use the Alpine adapters directly. And the speaker hole in gen'4 Camry front door is too big for 6.5" speaker, you better have adapters with speakers.

To install the door panel back smoothly, you better have the door window glass down.

:mad:

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Just make a baffle out of 1/2" MDF, go to my web page and see what I did

1 - 8 of 8 Posts