Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

First off, i just wanted to let people know that i'm on my fourth strut assemblies, and the 97 cam came back from the shop 6th time for the front strut mount being worn off prematurely. THANKFULLY for extended warranty i have avoided too much cost. but i was talking with this tech, and according to him..when this gen camry comes to shop for suspension checkup (or noices), more than likely that is "STRUT MOUNTS" . I know there are others like me who are plagued by this..but remember extended warranty does not go aftermarket for parts. He said if i can probably find polu-euthane mounts...more than likely my tad-tad (noices at uneven roads) would go away only to be replaced by a squeeky noice. But the catch is that i can lube that myself...versus having extended warranty replace strutmount/and or assemblies (whole unit). Mind you i love having a 77K mile v6 camry that's got new complete suspension (minus springs) every few years...its a nice feeling, but not having your car for 3-4 days gets annoying. So my question goes: what do you all think are the pro's and con's to polyeuthane mounts on camrys...and do they even exist? Anyone with them, what is/are your comments, opinions, suggestions.

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
the only aftermarket replacement strut mounts i know of are the KYB ones, i am unsure if those are polyurethane or not. some people say they make more "bump-thump" noises than the stock ones, others have the noise cured.

as far as polyurethane, you can grease them yourself with marine grease which you can buy at like wal-mart for $5 a huge can. that's what i use on my polyurethane sway bar bushings and they only have to be regreased about twice a year before they start squeaking.

my strut mounts make noise too, but only when the car is cold...once the car warms up and the rubber gets warm it expands and i don't hear that thumping noise anymore.

i know there's been lots of discussion on this topic & its very frustrating to a lot of people.

good luck with whatever you do though :)

Keri

·
A Poor College Student
1994 Camry Sedan LE
354 Posts
I can't vouch for the types of mounts, cause I'm still using OEM's on my gen3 after replacing with Tokico's (full strut). Get the ocassional clunking sound when making hard/fast turns or hitting bumps a certain way. I'd talk to Autozone, since they sell strut mount kits, at least for gen3. I did put grease on my upper mounts after reassembly, it reduced the noise considerably. If I have to take the strut off again, I'll put on springs....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts