Camry
13,302 Posts
those are coilover sleeves, not actual coilovers

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
maybe. but probably not.

ground-control is one of the better names.

·
Stock? Blasphemy!
06 Rav4 v6
879 Posts
I'm biased since i'm the one selling the ground controls, but i do like them. only reason i'm selling is because the camry is the family wagon, and the miata is the race car... and the ground controls are too stiff for having an infant in the car - i don't want to risk giving the kid shaken baby syndrome! Since the baby won't ever be in the miata (not till it's at least big enough for a booster seat, and maybe even later than that) i will keep the hard suspension stuff limited to just the miata.

ground control coilover sleeves use Eibach springs which are some of the best springs money can buy - they even have a million mile warranty. who knows what the ebay sleeves you saw use for springs, but for under $100 i'm pretty sure they aren't eibach!

but yes, no matter what kind of coilover sleeve you get, you really should get some upgraded struts because the higher spring rate of the upgraded springs will kill stock struts in no time, especially if you go really low with the adjustable perches.

·
Togue superstar
00 Camry LE
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm biased since i'm the one selling the ground controls, but i do like them. only reason i'm selling is because the camry is the family wagon, and the miata is the race car... and the ground controls are too stiff for having an infant in the car - i don't want to risk giving the kid shaken baby syndrome! Since the baby won't ever be in the miata (not till it's at least big enough for a booster seat, and maybe even later than that) i will keep the hard suspension stuff limited to just the miata.

ground control coilover sleeves use Eibach springs which are some of the best springs money can buy - they even have a million mile warranty. who knows what the ebay sleeves you saw use for springs, but for under $100 i'm pretty sure they aren't eibach!

but yes, no matter what kind of coilover sleeve you get, you really should get some upgraded struts because the higher spring rate of the upgraded springs will kill stock struts in no time, especially if you go really low with the adjustable perches.
yes Im planning to get KYB shocks if I decide to go with this setup because Im planning to go pretty low.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
if you're planning to go low, then go with tokicos. the kybs only hold up to mild drops 1-1.5" drops or so. beyond that, they aren't stiff enough to keep you from bottoming out, and given time, they will blow and leak

·
Togue superstar
00 Camry LE
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^ ok thanks for that info. I was going to get KYBs because they are $100 less. Guess I gotta get Tokicos now.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
yeah...better safe than sorry when it comes to slamming your car :thumbup:

a lot of ppl with lower drops have complained about their kybs blowing in a year or two. I rode on my kybs for a good 5 years before I traded them away (still in great condition) because they were just paired with eibach springs - 1"-1.5" drop

·
Togue superstar
00 Camry LE
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^ thanks dude.
youve been by far the most helpful one.

·
1994 5S-FYOU!
1994 Toyota Camry
1,602 Posts
Technique, the only thing I hope you won't be expecting is coilover like handling.

And just because they are said to be stiff doesn't mean you can now take a corner 50 mph faster.

Just be wary with these guys on :thumbsup:

·
Togue superstar
00 Camry LE
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Technique, the only thing I hope you won't be expecting is coilover like handling.

And just because they are said to be stiff doesn't mean you can now take a corner 50 mph faster.

Just be wary with these guys on :thumbsup:
you mean it wont handle like some expensive coilovers right?
I mean 50 is pushing it, Id expect them to be a bit stiff at least.....

·
Stock? Blasphemy!
06 Rav4 v6
879 Posts
it depends heavily on your total setup - which strut you have, whether it's adjustable for damping (only ksport/d2s are adjustable) , most importantly the wheel/tire setup. full ksports/d2 with stock balloon tires will probably not handle as well as these sleeves and 18s with sticky tires.

another factor is how well the installer and/or alignment tech actually sets up the car after installing them. you can use camber bolts to get adjustment there, and proper corner-weighting makes a surprising difference.

don't forget about factors such as chassis bracing and sway bars, and of course bushing material... and most importantly... "the nut loose behind the wheel" :D

·
Touge Star
2000 Toyota Camry LE
2,691 Posts
There's a reason why coilovers are more expensive than the coilover sleeves. A regular set should allow you to adjust the ride height, stiffness, camber, etc. while the sleeves allow for basic adjustment for ride height. Not sure what else the sleeves can do, but from what I've read in many posts, you're better off going with coilovers like Teins, JIC's, or Ksports.

There are lots of threads on CO sleeves but this is what other members have commented on them:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t292164.html
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t229509.html
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t248577.html

I guess it really depends on what you want in the end. If you want to slam the car for as little money as possible (and you don't care so much about tweaking the suspension adjustments), I guess go ahead and try the sleeves out.

And Gibson, hope you didn't take offense to that. I'm sure your setup is just fine for your purposes. GL on the sale :thumbsup:.

·
1MZFE Marauder
'01 Solara SLE
150 Posts
What a lot of you newer cats here on TN don't realize about Ground Control kits like the Gibson's, is that, not too long ago, those were the ONLY options for dumping your car that low. Full-bodied coilover sets didn't start popping up for obscure vehicles like Camrys until at least late 04-05, with the JIC's being the only other (expensive) option in '03. Those of us messing with Camrys before then made due with what was out.

·
Stock? Blasphemy!
06 Rav4 v6
879 Posts
no offense taken. it is subject to taste, intended purpose and of course budget. I think when Tiem bought these coilover sleeves, the only other option for adjustable coilover type setup was JIC magics, which apparently don't have such a good reputation, and were more expensive than the k-sports.

EDIT: posted at the same time as krispy i see... ya - these ground controls were installed on my 98 camry back in 2002... before i owned it.

you're right in that all the sleeves can do is give you adjustable height. the k-sport/d2's can do that and still retain suspension travel by moving the strut body in the bolt-on section of the mount, while with sleeves you lose some travel when you lower it. camber adjustability w/ the sleeves is still possible with the addition of "crash bolts" as they call them, but having camber plates up top is the preferred method since it doesn't change geometry at the spindle.

personally i think the best part of full coilovers is the adjustable damping. i put adjustable dampers on the miata (KYB AGX) and kept stock springs... WOW i love them! if i could have adjustable dampers on the camry i would also love them. unfortunately, that's not economical... it can be done, but will require a little custom work: get a set of gen3 serviceable strut housings and weld the gen4 front sway bar tabs onto them. then find a set of adjustable inserts to put in them. I'm not sure if the konis available for gen3 w/ svc'able struts are adjustable, but i think they are. but then when you factor in the cost of everything including getting the strut housings modified, you approach the cost of full coilovers, and still don't have adjustable camber or ride height (assuming you stay with traditional coil springs), but for my purposes that would be fine. I would love to have adjustable dampers combined w/ H&R, Eibach or Tein-S springs on my camry. turn them full soft for the daily drive, and click em up a few notches for sporty drives through the hill country or DE days.

If I were building a competition vehicle or show car, I wouldn't waste my time on that - I'd just buy some tein-ss coilovers and call it a day. But since I'm not, I keep it tame for the daily drive. and as they say... to each his own... c'est la vie!

·
Togue superstar
00 Camry LE
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok. After reading krispy, gibson, and -_-s' posts ive decided that those sleeves I posted originally are a no no.
Instead ive decided on a proper set of coilovers. I'm mainly interested in dumping my car. Ground controls are 475 new and a set of tokicos is around 450. That plus installation will cost me a grand at least, so might as well go with coils. I read on here that megans are better than k-sports so I'll probably go with megans; theyre cheaper too.

How much will installation cost (estimate) and will I need an alignment?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts