Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know an easily accessable place where I can tap in to the +12V dome light wire? I am not looking for the door trigger wire but the dome's power supply. I am installing some courteousy lights:thumbup:

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
if you want power, fuse box.........if you need the trigger to turn them on/off......the black button.

·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ yeah but do you mean using a fuse tap? The dome fuse is shared by many other devices, so my lights would always be on. Anyone know where the +12V dome goes after it "leaves" the dome light?

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
the remote wire that you tap to the button turns it on and off.......the fuse just supplies power.

·
1B2 V6 Clean!
99 Cam with 01 front
93 Posts
wait are you guys talking about what i think u are? r u trying to get ur dome light to turn on when u unlock ur doors with the keyless entry or alarm? if thats what ur talking about someone with knowledge please respond it sounds likea fun and low cost project to keep us busy.

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
Camon19z said:
wait are you guys talking about what i think u are? r u trying to get ur dome light to turn on when u unlock ur doors with the keyless entry or alarm? if thats what ur talking about someone with knowledge please respond it sounds likea fun and low cost project to keep us busy.

didn't your dome light come on when you use keyless entry unlock? all you gotta do is set it on "door" on your dome light for that to happen and i didn't even have to mod the car to do that. He is installing courtesy lights.....i installed door sills with a light in it.

·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kaioken, what black button are u referring to? R u talking about the dome light on/off switch? Basically, i want to tap into the dome light's +12V so my lights will come on when the door opens (if switch is set to door) or when i manually turn on the dome light (switch is set to on). I don't want to run a wire all the way up to the dome light to tap into it and am looking for a more accessible place where the +12v dome light wire comes into the dash.

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
on gen 5's if you look on the door, there is a black button that tells the dome light if the door is closed or not. which activates the dome light.

You can see it when you open the door.

·
1B2 V6 Clean!
99 Cam with 01 front
93 Posts
oh sorrry to intrude on ur thread but the lights do not turn on when u unlock ur doors on a gen 4 if it is set to door u have to open the door for it to come on my question was how do u wire it so that when u hit the unlock button on ur keyless entry the dome loght come on. it doesnt come on when it is set to door until u open the door.

·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ that doesn't really help cause i don't have a gen 5. Anyone else know where the 12v dome light red wire comes into the cabin after "leaving" the dome light on a gen 4??

·
Registered
95 Posts
Snakeye
the red wire on the dome light on most camrys that I'm familiar with, is 12v(solid), it may be routed via any kind of devices before it gets to the dome light, but essentially it is always a +12v that is there *all* the time, and *does not* change with the door open/close.
The switching is done on the ground return side of the dome light.
the other side of the dome light must provide a ground return for the lamp, this is done via the door switch.
I don't know how a 99 camry is wired, but I can tell you that in the 97 camry, the ground return wire(red/White) goes thru what toyota calls an "integration relay"(to provide the "fade" function), and than(Red/black) thru the driver side door switch to ground.(each door has it's own switch and wire color), I suspect that in the 99 XLE the ground return is even more sofisticated(in the 03 LE it goes thru the ECU).
I think that if you pull the door switch out (so it does not make contact with the frame) and measure the voltage on the wire/terminal you will find 12v.
this is the *only* 12v that get switched when the door opens or closes. (+12v-door closed, 0v- door open).
I must caution you, that some of the doors ground returns go thru diodes, and if you hook any thing at that point, you have to be careful not to ecxeed their current ratings.

HTH
JerryR

·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks JerryR, you're the man. I will be using a relay so as to not pull much current from the dome light. Now, my question is, since there are 4 door triggers, where do i tap in order for my courtesy lights to illuminate when any of the 4 doors are opened??

·
I Want My MPG
169 Posts
Courtesy Lights

SnakeyeS,

I'm unfamiliar with integrating relays in a setup in order to decrease current draw (or so I understand). Is this something I can just pick up at radio shack? And how do I put it in line?

I'm aiming on installing a pair of white cathode tubes to light up the area under the dash, and hopefully another pair to light up the foot area in the back as well. I was simply planning on connecting the positive wire of those cathode tubes to a constant 12V, and the negative wire to the same wire coming off of the negative side of the dome light. As mentioned earlier in this thread and from what I've been told, the negative side of the dome light (in the 'door' position) migh be 12V. When a door is open, the negative side of the dome light becomes ground, thereby completing the circuit and turning on the dome light. I just want to learn how to use these relays to avoid any potential problems.

Although I'm working with a 5th gen camry ('02 LE), the wiring may be analogous to that of previous years. I took a pic of the wiring diagram as pictured in a haynes manual (sorry, no scanner), hopefully you can verify if the circuits are the same, or how you go about tapping into the dome trigger.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8236/courtlights8qb.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
As far as where to pick a trigger point, any door would do. It looks like that electrically they all end up in the same place. (in the 97 the rear driver and rear pass. door triggers are most direct, and the front driver/pass door triggers go to the same point, but, via additional diodes).
You mention that you are going to use a relay, why? what for? how are you going to use it?
JerryR

·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^ the door trigger will power the relay's coil and the power for the lights will be drawn from another source. I don't want to pull too much current from the dome light

·
I Want My MPG
169 Posts
Which Relay are you looking at? If the fuse for the courtesy lights is about 7.5A, I'm guessing you're going for a relay which will require a very low current to to run through its coil and activate the 'switches'. Could you tell me if there's such a relay that has an appropriate current draw, and can switch two separate circuits (ie. double pole single throw)?

·
Registered
95 Posts
SnakeyeS said:
^ the door trigger will power the relay's coil and the power for the lights will be drawn from another source. I don't want to pull too much current from the dome light
SnakeyeS
How much current are you going to draw with the new lights?
If I understand you correctlty, you intend to hook up a relay from the trigger point to ground.
If you are going to draw only 2A-4A you could probably get away without using a relay.
Find a source of fused(Or add a fuse yourself)+12v before the ignition switch, and hook this up to one side of your new courtesy lights,(or whatever it is you are powering), hook the other side of the lights to the trigger point and you are done.
If you are going to draw a lot of current, or if you just prefer to do it with a relay, do not hook up the relay between the trigger point and ground, but between the 12v source I mentioned previously and the trigger point.
I would use the trigger point to provide the ground return *ONLY*, therby avoiding any current draw from the dome light circuit.
HTH
JerryR

·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not exactly sure how much current these CCFL's will draw but i'm sure it will be less than 4 amps, but i was just going to use a relay to be on the safe side. I'll take your advice on the relay set up, thanks!

Sn1cko,
I have a 12vdc coil dpdt relay, i'm not sure what you're asking for. Any 12vdc coil relay will work in your car, its current rating has nothing to do with activating the coil.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts