Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Now I know this has been asked before, but almost all of those threads are dead ends with not alot of helpful info in them.

I currently have a 98 Camry with a 2.2 Fed. engine that dropped a valve. I picked up a 99 Camry with a 2.2 Cali. spec engine. I pulled the engine out of both of them and have them sitting in my garage. What exactly do I need to make the Cali spec engine run in my Fed emissions car? I plan on keeping the harness, auto trans, and ECU from my Fed car intact.

Things I do know:

- The Cali exhaust manifold has a cat in in while my Fed one doesn't, O2 sensor is probably different too (I'll check later)

- The IACV on my Fed engine only has 2 ports, both for coolant. The Cali one has an extra vacuum port that is currently hooked up to a vacuum port on the head by the fuel rail (in the center). I've heard this is for air-assisted injectors or something.

- That vac port on my Fed engine doesn't even look to be present. Fuel injectors are red on the Fed engine and yellow on the Cali engine.

Things I don't know/need help with:

- Can I just swap my Fed throttle body onto the Cali engine? And possibly plug that port for the fuel injectors?

- Can I also just use my Fed exhaust manifold and fuel rail?

- Did I miss any differences between the 2 engines that will need to be changed?

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: So the fuel injectors are actually shaped different between Cali and Fed, the Cali ones are slightly longer and have a small hole near the head to allow air to enter. I managed to bolt the Fed fuel rail up the Cali head and it seems pretty tight, but I won't be able to tell if it leaks or even runs right until I fire it up.

I'm hoping its possible to run the Cali injectors/fuel rail just without the air assist hooked up. Also to note is that the Cali air-assisted injectors are 250cc while the Fed non-air assisted are 235cc. And all the injectors are a green color, not red or yellow like I previously stated.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it's been a few months, but I meant to update this. If anyone is wondering or finds this post in the future, it is very possible to swap a cali-spec engine into a fed-spec Camry. Not sure if the reverse is possible (I'm thinking it should be).

Anyway, what you need to swap the cali engine into your federal-spec car:

1) cali engine
2) federal fuel rail
3) federal throttle body w/ IACV attached
4) federal exhaust manifold (and o2 sensor)
5) vacuum cap

So the federal fuel rail, throttle body, and exhaust manifold will all bolt right up to your cali engine. For the fuel rail, I bolted it up first with just the stock insulators/seals on it an it seemed fairly tight even thought the cali injectors are larger and left somewhat of a gap around the injectors. Therefore I took to larger seals off of the cali injectors and slid them on my federal injectors in addition to the ones already on it. Seemed to seal it up even better. The cali head will have a vacuum port on it between injectors #2 and #3 , just use a vacuum plug to plug it. Any auto parts store will sell a variety pack of different size caps for a few bucks. You can probably keep the cali throttle body if you plug the extra vacuum port on the IACV, but I didn't wanna be bothered with that so I just put my federal one on.

I didn't get around to seeing if the federal car could run cali injectors, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been too bad. They are slighter higher flow, but only 15cc so the ECU should have been able to adjust accordingly. I didn't feel like swapping fuel rails again so I just used my federal one and luckily it bolts right up.

·
Who you gonna call?
2004 Camry XLE
999 Posts
I didn't get around to seeing if the federal car could run cali injectors, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been too bad. They are slighter higher flow, but only 15cc so the ECU should have been able to adjust accordingly. I didn't feel like swapping fuel rails again so I just used my federal one and luckily it bolts right up.
This is interesting because I just went shopping for new injectors for my 92 3VZ-FE and there aren't any "california" or "Federal" injectors. I checked 1999 and the same thing, so I'm guessing it would have worked fine either way.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is interesting because I just went shopping for new injectors for my 92 3VZ-FE and there aren't any "california" or "Federal" injectors. I checked 1999 and the same thing, so I'm guessing it would have worked fine either way.
I just checked on rockauto.com, it looks like the earlier 90's Camry's didn't have a federal/California designation but Toyota changed that in the later 90's models. If you look at a 93 Camry for instance, they're all the same, but I looked at a 98 Camry and they specify federal or Cali emissions because they're shaped differently. They probably had to change them to meet some kind of emissions standards after 1996 OBD2.

·
Administrator
14,102 Posts
IIRC, the 4 bangers started using "air assisted" injectors somewhere along the way. Maybe the V6's too. For emissions reasons.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IIRC, the 4 bangers started using "air assisted" injectors somewhere along the way. Maybe the V6's too. For emissions reasons.
That's what the injectors were in the Cali engine I used from the 99 Camry, they have a vacuum port on the head connected to the IACV and then each injector has a little hole near the end where the air gets injected. Supposed to help with spray pattern I think. After 2000 though Toyota switched to injectors with ultra-fine holes that atomize the fuel better and no longer needed the air-assist.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Bumping this old thread as it pertains to the issue I'm having with the same swap. Since the California injectors are longer and have an extra oring seal at the bottom of them, curious how using the shorter Federal injectors worked long term. With them being shorter and not having the seal at the bottom, would think this prevented a good spray patter of the injector into the head and also a possible vacuum leak.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bumping this old thread as it pertains to the issue I'm having with the same swap. Since the California injectors are longer and have an extra oring seal at the bottom of them, curious how using the shorter Federal injectors worked long term. With them being shorter and not having the seal at the bottom, would think this prevented a good spray patter of the injector into the head and also a possible vacuum leak.
Hey Hooter, I got your message. I haven't been on the site in a while, but I'm never far away (TN emails me when I get PM's or someone replies to one of my sub'd threads). For some reason I wasn't sub'd to this thread though.

It's been 3 years and the car is still running fine, has about 30k more miles on it then it did then. I've actually had it apart to do valve stem seals and reseal the engine due to oil burning but the fuel part is fine. I took the bottom seals off of the Cali injectors and put it on the bottom of the Fed injectors. It bolts up nice and tight. No vacuum leaks or fuel leaks.

Next time I'm over my in-laws I'll see if I can snap a pic of the fuel rail as it sits now. I do remember cleaning the injectors before installing them, but the engine/ecu seem to have no problems with them.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I went ahead and did the same thing you did and took the car out for a spin. Seems to run fine and no fuel/vacuum leaks. I think that parts now good also. Still getting a P0125 code. Since I had installed the California motor with the California engine harness not knowing it was what it was, I spliced the California oxygen sensor pig tail onto the Federal oxygen sensor wiring. I did a good job of soldering it, but now wondering if that's causing issue. It was either splice pig tails or swap the entire engine harness back to the Federal since the plug in on the California harness has a different connector than the Federal. On a positive note, I'm pretty sure the rest of the motor is good to go now.

Have done about 10 engine swaps on these cars. Guess it was time for a little snafu like this lol.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what harness is in there now? Cali or Fed?

Either way the Fed O2 sensor is just a basic 1 volt narrowband, the Cali O2 sensor is a true 5 volt air/fuel (wideband) sensor. You can only run a Cali sensor with a Cali harness and vice versa with a Federal spec. The code probably won't go away until you use whatever sensor matches the harness. It's not just what fits, the ECU is looking for a specific output.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The motor still has the Cali harness on it. I would of swapped it over had I known it was a Cali motor, but I'm not real excited about swapping it now that it's already in the car.

To make the Fed oxygen sensor work, I swapped the Fed exhaust manifold back onto it and then spliced/soldered the pig tail off of the Cali oxygen sensor onto the Fed oxygen sensor. Since the Cali harness connector was different than the Fed oxygen sensor connector, this addressed that(the pin outs were the same).

I think I've figured out the P0125 code. Googling it indicated a oxygen sensor on these Camrys even though it reads Insufficient Coolant Temperature. Since I had a new ECT sensor on the shelf, decided to go ahead and change it out to. Lo and behold, the ECT sensor was also different. The Cali harness connector for this didn't match up, so I took a dremel and ground off the locating tabs off of the new Fed sensor so the connector would fit. Drove the car about 10 miles tonight and it's not throwing the code yet. It would throw it almost immediately after it warmed up before. Keeping my fingers crossed this might be the last thing needing swapped over....

This is a great thread for the next guy that runs into this.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hopefully my last post on this. After driving more with the Cali harness in the car(but all of the federal sensors, injectors, etc), the car started popping cel's again. Wound up finally swapping the federal engine harness back into the car. All is well now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts