Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;

I am probably the only guy in the US with a Manual Trans in a 97 Camry 4 cyl. I am considering changing it over to an Automatic. The car has the 2.2 4 cyl engine. I have seen on line where the trans can be from a 97 through a 2001 Camry. Any knowledge on whether the PCM I have in the car will support the Automatic trans? Are there any differences in the wiring harness? How bout the CV Shafts? Are they the same? Any advice on the feasibility of such a swap would be welcome. Would also appreciate any links to where this might have been done before.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
The PCM will not work. The axles will work. The wiring harness for the engine will not work.

It's pretty simple, to be honest. Just remember where all the bolts go.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
lol or trade with some on here for a auto i bet you got a few takers

·
A camry n00b
390 Posts
Are you serious? Throw the money at Turboing the 5SFE and enjoy the ride with your manual trans. There is a nice turbo kit for sale in the sale section of this forum. Go for it. You wont regret ;-)

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
making automatic from manual is hard, because of mismatched ECU and wire harness (automatic tranny needs connectors and wiring, so the ECU can control it and your manual version doesn't have that).

not worth the cost and effort IMHO! either sell it and get automatic or as said above put the money into a turbo kit and enjoy it :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts