Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Toyota Camry with aftermarket OBX headers. about a month ago, i started running into problems with codes being pulled. i switch between P2238 and P0136 which is upstream O2 sensor and downstream O2 sensor respectively.

I have emissions in 2 months and must pass. With the MIL on, i wont pass. I have been clearing it and i can drive like 50-60 miles before it pulls a code again, and i cant have the emissions tested during that time because i still have some systems saying "not ready" specifically cat and O2H.

Since i have these headers, i bought 2 new sensors not that long ago and had to extend both of their wires by cutting them and soldering extensions on. both sensors were also not stock toyota sensors. I do have a high flow cat installed as well but i doubt that is the problem.

I have an AFR gauge installed, and my car is running neither lean nor rich, 14-15.3.

Can someone help me? thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
2,049 Posts
First get the stock denso sensors. Lots of people have had problems with non stock. Double check all connections/solder joints you made. Next replace that "high Flow" cat with a real one. They are called high flow because they actually have quite a bit less media inside. Take a look through a real cat you can see straight through and plenty of reactive media. If all else fails return the exhaust to stock. But I really think it may just be the sensors or connections.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i am leaning towards too.. Toyota itself does not produce O2 sensor harness extenders but there are extenders out there that are sold by reputable places. Probably will get 2 stock sensors and 2 harnesses for the extensions so that there will be no soldering etc

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
2,049 Posts
Toyota itself does not produce O2 sensor harness extenders
They don't make the O2 sensors either they are made by Denso, I would get these.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what i will do then. once this is done, ill post an update and let ya guys know if the codes trigger again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i just bought stock O2 sensors. Havent had install time as i also ordered a couple extender harnesses that havent arrived yet. hopefully this works!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you checked vacuum leak around intake? Or exhaust leaks before Air Fuel sensor? Those pin hole leaks could cause O2 sensor code too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well ive checked for these leaks, probably not as thorough as i wouldve liked, but got an AFR gauge to see if i was running lean and running pretty right on. i do have an oil catch can running from my PCV but ive checked that and seems to not have leaks.

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,999 Posts
I believe those codes are O2 heater codes. Was your original sensors internal heater circuits bad or was the wiring to the sensors bad? The internal heater ckt can be checked for continuity (probably 5-10ohms) and for the wiring to the sensors you should see heater voltage (12v ?) So with your new sensors if you still have the codes you don't have a good heater voltage circuit If not, trace lack of voltage back to source. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea, cj1, this does help! I know that the code i was pulling was for abnormal voltage and i believe the problem is in the wiring. If getting the new sensors in doesnt solve the problem then i will be tracing back to source like you said.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update, I got the new O2 sensors in, and the 2 codes cleared, system for O2S and HO2S both ready now, only problem left now, code P0420 is now showing and cat is Not Ready. I cleaned the MAF sensor and reset code, so we will see if that works. Otherwise, I may just have ECU reflashed to look the other way

1 - 12 of 12 Posts