Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 LE and the OEM struts are very soft now. Looking for better handling and less body roll, but not bouncy.

Strut choices seem to be OEM, Monroe Sensatracs and KYB GR-2s. That is it? I have a new set of KYB GR2s on my 98 Corolla and handling is great, but the ride is stiff and bouncy. Hoping to have improved handling on the Camry, I am cautiously considering the GR2s and hope that the larger heavier Camry will be a better fit.

But there are few choices. No Bilsteins, No Boge, No Gabriel Ultras, No Monroe Reflexes.

Any other suggestions? Looking for GR2 handling with better valving for a less harsh ride. What do you think is the best match for the Gen 5 Camry?

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
You've pretty much named all of them. I'm dropped on Tein springs on stock struts because I'm weary about the GR2's as well... I'm waiting for Tokico (hopefully) or Bilstein to come out with an application, and once they do, I'm all over those. Until then, my stockers have plenty of life left in them, and I've honestly felt no deterioration in the struts since lowering, despite popular opinion that lowering on stock struts blows the struts fast.

·
Camry Gen5er
2002 Camry LE I4
242 Posts
are the KYB-GR2s really that bad? dang, i was just about to get some springs and struts but now i'm getting second thoughts about it w/ these poor strut choices...

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
erm, stiff and bouncy means the shocks are too soft, or the springs rate is too high...

GR-2 should be considered an OE replacement, not a performance one.

i run on sensatracs, they wont last long if youre heaviliy lowered (mine have more then 100,000km on them and theyre showing their age), but there is zero bounce as their progressive valving is quite good (at standard heights its soft and comfortable but as it compresses they get firm... really really quick (which means if youre lowered they firm already).

·
Camry Gen5er
2002 Camry LE I4
242 Posts

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
get sensatrac's theyre better then youd think =)

a bit pricey though.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
terrastrife said:
get sensatrac's theyre better then youd think =)

a bit pricey though.
So what's "heavily lowered" ? I'm on S. Techs at 1.7F/1.5R. Are the Sensatracs built to handle that kind of drop? Or are they OE replacements like the KYB?

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
white3ch0c0late said:
So what's "heavily lowered" ? I'm on S. Techs at 1.7F/1.5R. Are the Sensatracs built to handle that kind of drop? Or are they OE replacements like the KYB?
at about 2 icnhes theyre a tiny bit softer then tokico blues but they dont bounce at least.

i have a lower front then rear drop (which iwll be changin soon) and as the rear is higher its still in the softer valved portion of the shock so its still comfortable...

i have no idea how low before warranry is void but mine have taken a beating and although they start to show their age now they still handle better then OE by far.

the main thing to know is if it doesnt bounce then the rating is close enough to correct.

although theyre stiff enough to show that my chassis is over 10 years old and you can hear the creaks =)

i have about 2" front and 1" rear and for the last ~50,000km theyve been fine. thats about what the service life of a shock should be anyway... or a bit longer.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
Well I've got stock struts, and they're not too bouncy. They're not bad considering that they had 64k miles on them before the drop, and they don't feel much different from before. But I'm definitely looking into struts in the not-too-distant future, and I only recently found out that Monroe even made an application for the Gen 5. Before that, the only thing out there was the GR2. I'm going to wait a little while and pray that Tokico puts something out for the Gen 5... otherwise, I'll probably get the Monroe's.

·
Camry Gen5er
2002 Camry LE I4
242 Posts

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
^They were his stock struts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts