Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had multiple requests for pics on how I did my dash tweets. Now, I took these pics just to show some periodic steps to my curious brother stationed in Iraq. They weren't taken as a COMPLETE step-by-step DIY. But requests have prompted this thread. Any questions left un-answered just pm me or post here, I'll be glad to answer. Hope these pics shed some light:

Factory (non-JBL) piece of junk removed - the measured depth of this was used as reference for how to mount my new tweet & crossover. I never wrote down actual numbers, did it all by eye.

Here the tweeter sits in a modified bracket that came with the Infinity Kappa kit. There are several mounts that came with kit (3 variations), but none of which would work perfectly. I shaved, dremelled and clipped edges and squeezed that tweeter deep into that shell, but it worked.

Here I took factory tweeter, placed it upside down on ABS plastic sheet and measured out exact copy of bracket.

Couldn't use a dremmel to router a hole (too fast a speed melted plastic) - so I just periodically drilled holes around measured template and basically grinded the edges smooth to form a nice circle for tweeter encasement to sit in. The grinding was done with the dremmel on slow-speed. The rest was cut-off the abs sheet with a hack saw.

One down, sitting next to a sheet of ABS ready to be drilled and cut for the second bracket:

Here you can see a side view using simple nut n bolts used to secure that tweeter shell from kit to fabricated bracket. Don't know exact size of nut/bolt, just took bracket n shell to home depot and got w/e fit.
The wire underneath is attached to speaker becasue access is limited when working at dash area.

Side by side with factory tweet. You can see considerably more shallow on my setup, this was necessary to make room to mount the crossover underneath once in dash.

Crossover about to be anchored inside dash hole.

I ran a tap into the speaker line to maintain parallel and secured strong velcro strip to underneath on crossover. Small hands would help securing that crossover in that dash hole. I really had to stand outside and look through windshield to see what I was doing (distracting reflections aside, she went it and stayed pretty tightly - tap it around, shake the car, do w/e to make sure it won't dislodge and end up rattling around)

Once the crossover was anchored, all I had to do was zip tie extra wire and bolt that tweet setup right in. It was a perfect fit using facory bolts because I used the ORIGINAL stock speaker as a template.

There are a few inbetween pics missing, but you should get the drift. No pics of the "hole" in dash, because it's basicall just a space with some other wires running in there on the side. It's plastic on the bottom. If I had to try and remember, it's about 3" top to bottom. One can always just remove the stock dash speaker and measure. It's relatively quick.

***What helped here was that the Kappa Tweets gave enough to work with regarding the tweeter mounts. Without that little shell enclosure in the kit that was able to modify, I'd have had to fabricate one from scratch.
Consider this when choosing your aftermarket speaker.

***ALSO: The metal bracket on stock speaker does NOT come off, its all part of one piece, so scratch that idea.

Hope it all helped, questions, just ask
Tim

·
Registered
109 Posts
:thumbsup: very nice! Thanks for the write up and pictures. I'm probably doing sound mods next. So this will come in handy. Wondering if the JBL tweets setup is any different.

·
Registered
04 Subaru Forester
382 Posts
very nice :thumbsup: thanks bro!

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, It'd a been a more thorough pic'd DIY job had I set out that way, but glad it sufficed. I got the ABS sheet from crutchfield. MUCH MUCH more strong n sturdy, but high speed dremmel always manages to melt anything with its router, it's time for me to figure out better ways of routing plastic.

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually the most significant audible difference in the whole setup. I mean, yes, the rest of my changes are great, but from where it started, biggest diff.

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is a distinctive difference in local when sitting in the front (driver vs passenger)(slight dominance on the side you're sitting in), but not in such a way as to throw off the ears ya know. They're just so darn crisp it's like the highs are being played in front of you. Don't think I am exaggerating, they impress everyone who hears em. Like I said, it's why I then opted to complete my setup with Infinitys all around. God know's what would happen if I amped them :eek:.
*They're playing off a Kenwood Excelon 22w RMS

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got the ABS sheet from crutchfield.
I searched crutchfield for the ABS plastic sheets and came up with nothing. Did you find it on the site or did you have to call them? I googled it and found some sheets on other sites but the pieces look different, and like they'd be harder to cut.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
I searched crutchfield for the ABS plastic sheets and came up with nothing. Did you find it on the site or did you have to call them? I googled it and found some sheets on other sites but the pieces look different, and like they'd be harder to cut.
Good god, man.

You can use masonite, aluminum, steel, fiberglass, etc......and buy at your local hardware store.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good god, man.

You can use masonite, aluminum, steel, fiberglass, etc......and buy at your local hardware store.
Now I feel like an Official TN Noob! Life is good! :cool: At least you couldn't tell me to use the search function, LOL.

How did you know I have all the necessary equipment to work with your suggested materials? If you read the thread more carefully, you'd know that I'm also aware of MDF. If you used the search function, you'd know that I've used it for my rear speaker swap. /s

I asked about the hardware store and got no response other than crutchfield.com, where I had no luck. A search at www.homedepot.com returned a check valve, measuring wheel and golf cup, while www.lowes.com listed four 10' cellular core pipes. I also am remembering looking for ABS for a project last year as the google results seemed familiar. At that time I had no luck when visiting my local Home Depot and Lowe's.

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I have used MDF and aluminum for other various DIY projects, when I was on the phone with crutchfield discussing mounting issues, whoever it was at the time told me he could send me a sheet (1x1') of ABS. I thought, "cool, haven't used ABS before, let's give it a shot." In my mind I was planning on MDF in the 1st place anyway. Give crutchfield a call, or check out this site.
I always had it as a reference for my scale modeling stuff, but never used it over the evergreen stuff.

http://plasticdistribution.net/abs-plastic-sheets.htm

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/AB...lastic-Sheet?gclid=CJO8h_SyvJkCFRJhnAod3g457Q

·
Registered
83 Posts
when I was on the phone with crutchfield discussing mounting issues, whoever it was at the time told me he could send me a sheet (1x1') of ABS.
You don't say...;)

Thank you TJHammer, you have been very helpful. I did visit the eplastics.com page during my google searches. I could always use MDF, but I think the ABS looks much better. A lack of tools/equipment is also an issue for me.

BTW, I was at my local Best Buy today and they're dropping the Infinity Kappa line. I'm not sure if it was just for the components or everything. The install tech. there said that they'll probably be gone by April/May when whatever they're replacing them with gets delivered. Point being, the Kappa 2-way component set is on clearance for $149 from $249. I just might HAVE to get them!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts