Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I braved myself this afternoon installing the Gentex auto dimming with homelink and compass on my 2012 Camry SE with no extra option.

To remove the overhead console, there are 4 clips. When pulling the console. Stick your hand way in there, grab the black part and pull it straight down .... This is what you see

TO MY SUPPRISE, I see a 5 pins plug with 3 wires taped down without connecting to anything... I think to myself it will be easy when see that plug ....

This is the plug that plug to the console .... for what it worth ... the thicker yellow wire all by itself is the constant power ....

This is the plug that not connect to anything ... The white with black stripe is ground. Gray wire is Switched power and the white wire is constant power... and that blue tape to my visor is the tape that tape down that plug :lol:

I think that wire might be for OEM auto dimming mirror. wires seem thin for the sunroof. I poke around inside the headliner but don't see any more wires.

Once I figured out the wire, install is just a snap ....

Finished product

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
very nice.how much was the mirror?
TO MY SUPPRISE, I see a 5 pins plug with 3 wires taped down without connecting to anything... I think to myself it will breeze when see that plug ....
...I run wire for radar all the way to cigarett lighter...
:headbang:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for sharing the install.

I have been thinking about purchasing a 2012 Camry SE with no options. Was pretty bummed to find out that that homelink and auto dimming mirror requires the Convenience Pack which is $3600 more.

Having the option to easily install homelink/auto dimming mirror myself may just push me over the edge for the Camry.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thank you for sharing the install.

I have been thinking about purchasing a 2012 Camry SE with no options. Was pretty bummed to find out that that homelink and auto dimming mirror requires the Convenience Pack which is $3600 more.

Having the option to easily install homelink/auto dimming mirror myself may just push me over the edge for the Camry.
You can get the mirror as a dealer-installed accessory, without the convenience package.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What model is your Gentex mirror? Did you splice into the wires or was the plug pin compatible?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you! I have an old Gentex auto dimming mirror (with compass but no Homelink), and I'll put it in. I did the same for my '05 Sienna, which was also pre-wired. Just curious.... did you wire the Homelink to constant hot or accessory? Some don't like to wire it to constant for safety reasons if the car is parked outside.

EDIT: Just installed the mirror this morning. Super easy since it's prewired. I made sure to solder my splices so I'd never have to touch them again. Toughest part was removing the overhead console, which is secured to the roof using 4 white clips as shown in the picture. Don't forget to set your compass to the correct region # so it will work correctly. (California/Nevada/Oregon is #4.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
new here

Been checking out this site for awhile. Picked up my new 2012 camry se 2 weeks ago. Already tinted the windows and just ordered my new auto dimming rear view mirror from ddave57. Can't wait to install it. Question for you guys that have done it, how do you get your hand up between the overhead console and headliner to be able to pull it down. It seems pretty tight to me. Also, if the wires are already there, I wonder if the car is already wired up for a backup camera. I know it was an option, not sure if it was with the 6.1 inch screen. Wouldn't it be nice if all you have to do is buy a camera and have all the wiring already fun up to the in dash LCD?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wonder if the car is already wired up for a backup camera. I know it was an option, not sure if it was with the 6.1 inch screen. Wouldn't it be nice if all you have to do is buy a camera and have all the wiring already fun up to the in dash LCD?
This would be awesome to know, I just bought the Camry SE with Leather upgrade but 4 cylinder and it has everything except this. That would be totally awesome if the wiring for all this was already there...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am going to do a little research on that when I get the chance. Still waiting for someone to explain how they got their hand up between the overhead and the headliner to actually pull down on it........anyone??

·
Registered
105 Posts
Been checking out this site for awhile. Picked up my new 2012 camry se 2 weeks ago. Already tinted the windows and just ordered my new auto dimming rear view mirror from ddave57. Can't wait to install it. Question for you guys that have done it, how do you get your hand up between the overhead console and headliner to be able to pull it down. It seems pretty tight to me. Also, if the wires are already there, I wonder if the car is already wired up for a backup camera. I know it was an option, not sure if it was with the 6.1 inch screen. Wouldn't it be nice if all you have to do is buy a camera and have all the wiring already fun up to the in dash LCD?
I'm interested in ordering one also, who is ddave57?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am going to do a little research on that when I get the chance. Still waiting for someone to explain how they got their hand up between the overhead and the headliner to actually pull down on it........anyone??
I could never figure that out either, so I just pulled the console straight down when I put my mirror in. Otherwise, it would take some type of 90-degree panel puller tool to wedge between two of the clips. Be careful not to pull down on the sunglasses holder, since that's spring loaded and hinged.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ddave57 is his ebay user name. you can search his user id on ebay to find him. He didn't have the one I was interested listed but I just shot him a message and he had the one I wanted. Cheaper then I could find anywhere else. I will try to just pull the console down when I get the mirror.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just saw that there is now a Gentex GENK45A on Amazon that has a plug-and-play kit for the 2012 Camry. It has the wires already wired up in the right connector to mate with the factory wiring that's already there.

It's expensive ($269), but should be a good bet for anybody who doesn't trust their soldering skills. They advertise a 5-minute install, although I've seen a couple different videos of the install on Youtube and they both take under 2 minutes. I just ordered mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I am using the oem rear view mirror with auto dim and compass from 2011 Camry SE for my 2012 Camry SE base. Connectors are the same, but nothing lights up and works. Is there a fuse? Can some one help?

·
Registered
260 Posts
If anyone has a source for a GENK40A with a 2012 Camry wiring harness please post a link. I prefer the GENK40A as I'm not interested in the compass but want the Homelink.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You really don't need a wiring harness. You can just splice into the wires, since you already know which one is ground, switched, and always hot.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i'm looking to get the gentex mirror and wanted to know how do i get the correct, compatible harness? I don't want to do any splicing.

matter of fact, can someone post a pic of the harness and/or part number? that would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 259 Posts
About this Discussion
258 Replies
90 Participants
tdi200
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing