Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity? Before it is completely dark outside I get bright lights in my mirror and it doesn't always dim.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity? Before it is completely dark outside I get bright lights in my mirror and it doesn't always dim.
No dimming adjustment... Mirror sensor may be too low. Funny shit on this with the Gentex mirrors. GM's solution was to mount the auto dim sensor in the top of the mirror glass. But that's not available in the homelink mirrors. With that being said try to pivot the mirror up. There's two pivot points in the mirror mounts and the mirror positions adjustable in that regard.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just ordered one for my SE. $167 + $15.95 S&H from Dyer Toyota through EBAY.
Side note for everyone. The last set of instructions I saw show a 2 wire adaptor harness for the mirror. That means homelink only works with the vehicle key in it. To some it's not an issue to some it is.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Side note for everyone. The last set of instructions I saw show a 2 wire adaptor harness for the mirror. That means homelink only works with the vehicle key in it. To some it's not an issue to some it is.
While that may be inconvenient for some, it's more of a security thing for others. You don't want someone breaking into your car and just opening your garage door/whatever do you?

I fixed Bmeister's link so it linked to the proper Amazon link for the mirror he posted.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree I put this in my instructions in red:
Homelink power to the mirror can be hooked up to the switched ignition power. You may want it that way for safety purposes. Please remember a homelink power that is always on may give someone access to what ever it controls without a key. It could be a small child closing the garage door on someone or something or a thief gaining access to your house because the vehicle was parked outside. A switched power lead to the homelink mirror would require the vehicles key to operate the homelink

It's funny for what 20 years visor homelink remotes have had full time power to them, and those clunky garage door remotes clipped on the visor always worked too. Same goes for the homelink mirrors that were first put in the 03's. Only Subaru initially made homelink switched power and that was because their existing mirror connectors had switched power, ground and reverse un dim because it was originally done for the Donnelly compass mirrors. Luckily most Gentex mirrors had an internal jumper in the mirror between pin 1 and 6 so that the pin 1 (the homelink connection) could get switched power and pin 6 of the mirror plug would have an external jumper on it that went to pin 5 to supply switched power for the compass and auto dim power to the mirror.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Got the mirror today, took 10 minutes to install and program the compass. Still have to program the Homelink for my garage door opener.
Hi,
Can you post a DYI with some pictures...seems to me it'll take more than 10 minutes, but what do I know?? Also, I didn't feel like yankin' on the black part until it comes loose...as illustrated by the poster on page 1.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
Can you post a DYI with some pictures...seems to me it'll take more than 10 minutes, but what do I know?? Also, I didn't feel like yankin' on the black part until it comes loose...as illustrated by the poster on page 1.
Thanks in advance.
I was sent some Toyota instructions with diagrams and could scan them in if you would like. Really don't want to take it back apart to take pictures. ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi,
Thanks in advance.
see my post #72 on page 5 of this thread. No need to take out the overhead console. It took me about 5 minutes and the mirror was installed and connected. Took longer to program the homelink, about 15 minutes for that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hello, I installed Id: 261090022845 purchased from dyertoyota off of EBay. Purchased for $167. It is plug and play, has Dimmable, Homelink, and Compass. It comes with good instructions on overhead removal and connection. It comes with a wire cover that is expandable to fit perfect. My suggestion is to get some plastic molding removal tools. I got mine from Harbor Freight tools for $4.00.
These will allow you to get under console, but be careful not to be pulling down on the outer cover of the console. I did and broke a clip that holds it to the main inner unit. Now held together with tape, but all non visible. Also, don't pull on glasses holder......you will want to. Once you grip the inner portion, pull hard. You may snap a clip, or need to pull it out of the roof to place back into the overhead console. Total time was 1/2 hr to complete project. I could always scan and post instructions if anyone wants them.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
Keep in mind, when you turn your vehicle off, the power for the mirror is now off and the Homelink options do not work. Anyone have an idea if there is a way to delay power off on accessories?

·
Mr D
75 Posts
Dick Dyer Toyota no service after sale

When I received my mirror from Dick Dyer Toyota it did not include any instructions and was sent with a short wire cover. When I called they told me a longer wire cover did not exist. I was asked to send a picture of the wire cover I received. Are they kidding. It wasn't until I pointed out that the gentex website showed the expandable wire cover and asked if they have exposed wires hanging from the headliner to the mirror. They later admitted they had six long covers on the shelf and they would send it. A week later I talked to the parts manager who I found surly. It had not been sent. Finally after a scorching Yelp review they sent the long wire cover in a dirty used envelope that was not sealed at the top.
This took three weeks and many emails and phone calls. I will never deal with Dick Dyer Toyota again no matter what they are selling!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Keep in mind, when you turn your vehicle off, the power for the mirror is now off and the Homelink options do not work. Anyone have an idea if there is a way to delay power off on accessories?

When they initially made these kits they had a 3 wire adaptor harness that shipped with the mirrors. BUT not all cars had 3 wires on the matching plug. Seems to me it may just be the hybrid with 2 wires because I have not had a customer yet that did not have the three wire plug and everyone wanted full time homelink.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,413 Posts
anybody knows if that Part # 00016-32012 Gentex mirror would work on other toyota models?
would harness fit or it designed only for gen7 camry?
specifically I'm interested if this mirror will plug and play on gen 6 and 6.5 camry and 2013 venza?

·
Registered
97 Posts
anybody knows if that Part # 00016-32012 Gentex mirror would work on other toyota models?
would harness fit or it designed only for gen7 camry?
specifically I'm interested if this mirror will plug and play on gen 6 and 6.5 camry and 2013 venza?
If you find a plug in a venza let me know.

It is not plug and play on a generation 6 camry even if you had the mirror plug. (that very few do) But the mirror is a mainstream mirror and harnesses are available for it on ebay.
The generation 6 plug; http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/4084841-post46.html
The generation 6 installation; http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5th-6th-generation-2002-2006-2007-2011/152360-auto-dimming-mirror-install.html

·
Senior Citizen Member
206 Posts
Received my auto dimming mirror with home link and compass from Dyer Toyota. It had everything that I needed and great instructions. I used the info on this thread and did not remove the console. I just reached under the head liner and pulled the cable out. It took less than 5 minutes to install the mirror. Another 5 minutes to calibrate the compass and 10 minutes to set the home link.
Every thing works great. I just wish the home link would work with the ignition off but I can live with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Every thing works great. I just wish the home link would work with the ignition off but I can live with it.
Splice the mirror wires to a hot wire will make the homelink work 24/7 but home invaders will love you long time for making their job that much easier.

81 - 100 of 259 Posts
About this Discussion
258 Replies
90 Participants
tdi200
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing