Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
well guys, I hit the jackpot again. I decided to go back to the salvage yard and roam around to see what I would find and to amazement I found several vehicles with the auto dimming mirror and temp a/o compass. I even found one that had LED courtesy lights. So I decided to buy it. I switched the display led because it was green and I wanted blue. Guess how much it was? Yeap, $7.84 with tax. Came home and installed it and everything is working fine. I love that place!!! I will be selling my previous one. Below are some pictures of it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great install funny that mirror was phased out in the 1998/99 model year. If there were two separate buttons rather than one rocker as in your pics, and a more compact compass housing. It would be up to an 05/06 mirror. This would be that next version that was phased out in 05/06 http://www.ebay.com/itm/171116735707 . Like I said not the ordinary throw away electronics, and they don't ship these in padded boxes even when they're new.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I know it's not the latest model but it does what I want it to do and for the price I paid I couldn't pass it up. I was looking around but this one had what I was looking for. I think it was in a late 90's early 00's GM car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just trying to point out you don't have to buy a new mirror to be happy. :cool:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Oh, don't get me wrong I wasn't getting defensive. They all do the same thing and why pay full retail. They had quite a few of them. I like the fact that I could've bought all them since you pull the parts you want and then just pay. They are a nation wide salvage yard. It's called Pull-a-Part. It's the nicest and most organized yard I've ever seen. Cust. service is great and the prices are awesome.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What are thesese 3 wires? white, white/black, gray? ground, vcc ??? My mirror has only 2 wires, which wires shall i connect?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
That's where the OEM auto-dimming mirror connects to. You only need to use the gray (12v+ acc) and the white/black (Neg-). The white is (12v+ constant). I just installed one in my car and that's what I used.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mod complete

I ordered my mirror off of Amazon from American Security Co. I ordered Tuesday and had it Friday, the mirror with compass only, plug and play version for 2012 Camry. Temperature here in northern Delaware at the time I attempted it was around 33 degrees. That console was not budging and I new some serious breakage was going to happen, so I reread through the suggestions made in the thread and got my heat gun out and heated the console up at the points where I thought the clips might be. I then grabbed at the front of the console nearest the glass and pulled mightly with both hands and it came out, but not without breaking some of the tabs off about 3 of the clips. One if the clips stayed in the hole in the roof and I used one of my plastic clip removal tools to remove that and place back in the console. Located the unused wiring harness (someone at the factory was very tape happy that day) and plugged in the new mirror. I did as one other user said and lubricated the tips of the white clips with some dry lubricant and snapped the console back in place. It stayed in fairly well so I am not going to order any clips to replace the ones whose tips partially broke. Will just live with it as it is. I honestly don't know if doing this when it was 90 degrees outside and the roof metal was really heated up would have made any difference in the clips not breaking, as I am not sure even using the heat gun made a difference. Plastic is plastic, and there isn't much to the clips. Screws holding the thing up would have been much easier to deal with, but that sounds to easy. Hope this helps.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
^that's why I was really nervous pulling my console, but I did it in the summer time so it was probably at least 80 outside when I did it.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I did it in 80+ degree and still managed to break one of the tabs. that thing is on there tight. once you pull it the first time, it softens up the next.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Update I'm mirror

Driving to work this morning in darkness and happy to report the dimming feature on my new mirror I installed yesterday, works like a champ. Also, I do not have window tint on the rear window. I can also now tell what direction I am traveling to go along with knowing what the temp is outside. Yeehah!

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Driving to work this morning in darkness and happy to report the dimming feature on my new mirror I installed yesterday, works like a champ. Also, I do not have window tint on the rear window. I can also now tell what direction I am traveling to go along with knowing what the temp is outside. Yeehah!
Nice! I'm really wanting one...maybe I'll look to see if I can find any Cyber Monday deals on them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I always hated pulling delicate car parts in the winter.... I would put the defrosters on hi for enough time to warm the car up in this instance.. I used a heat gun one winter to get a car warm enough to put some sound deadener in it. Left the house door to the garage open to warm the garage too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ANYWAY first confirmation today The 2014 SE has the connector for the mirror in the same place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought a 2012 XLE and it does NOT have the homelink button. Does anyone know if this will work on the XLE? It doesn't seem to have the same overhead console you all are talking about.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
The homelink buttons that come on the XLE are three black buttons on the overhead console itself, not the rear-view mirror. Is that why your overhead console looks different or no?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The homelink buttons that come on the XLE are three black buttons on the overhead console itself, not the rear-view mirror. Is that why your overhead console looks different or no?
My overhead buttons control inside lights by shutting them off when the door is opened. (And there is no console since there is a sunroof/moonroof.) There is no homelink button. I figured the easiest thing would be to install a mirror with them. If you have other suggestions, I would be happy to hear them. I just want a garage door opener wherever it can be installed easily.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Yea, the mirror is easy enough. You already probably have an auto-dimming rearview mirror. That is plugged up into the plug where the Homelink/Autodim/Compass mirror goes. So you pull down your overhead console (the whole thing thing with the lights and sunroof controls and all that) and you should see your mirror plug up there. If you have an auto-dimming mirror now you should see the mirror plugged into the plug. If you don't, then you will see the plug taped down up there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bumping old thread so I dont have to make a new one. I just read every page of this thread. Lot's of good info, but maybe I missed something. Can someone confirm if the Gentex and 00016-32012 are completely different mirrors? 00016-32012 is OEM and Gentex is the aftermarket version? I looked up ddave57 on eBay and it appears he only has two mirrors in stock and both are used. I much prefer to buy brand new. Is one better over the other? According to ddave57's ebay listing, the Gentex is plug and play, but he needs to know if the car came with a 2 or 3 pin connector. Does the OEM 00016-32012 require the same? Or does that only apply if you DON'T plug it in via headliner?

·
Registered
94 Posts
141 - 160 of 259 Posts
About this Discussion
258 Replies
90 Participants
tdi200
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing