Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 180 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for that link. Is the Gentex version better than the OEM or are they both the same? I have the option to buy both and the price difference isn't too far off.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
I believe the SET one is a Gentex Mirror, just has a Toyota part number online. But if you order the SET, it should say Gentex on the back of it. At least thats what I think I read somewhere lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
Gentex makes the oem mirrors for most Toyota vehicles. Some of the oem mirrors they make are rebadged and sold aftermarket. IT's not the other way around as some would have you think. AN OEM Toyota mirror will have a part number that starts with 87810 and not have an adaptor harness. Like the 45cam and South East Toyota mirrors. I don't believe the homelink compass aftermarket mirrors have gone to homelink 4 yet either. I regularly sell a new Mazda 45A accessory version the latest being made in Sept and they're still homelink 3

The way around the two vs 3 wire adaptor harness is to just use the two wire. On those harnesses the mirror plug is jumpered to supply switched power to the homelink..

I've been taking the mirrors apart for 10 years mostly to change display color... red, deep blue, green, and amber are popular colors. Avalons were the first Toyota's to get the homelink compass mirrors. With that being said the oem (2006 and up) Avalon mirrors had a different coil type navigation set up in them. But Subaru Ford and early Mazda have had a tri axis module. That's the only difference. I run every mirror in compass calibration mode to test them and both appear to function exactly the same.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So does the moveable part of the mirror literally snap off so you can replace and snap on the homelink, or do you have to remove it from the glass and re-glue the new mirror to the windshield?

It screws directly to the factory tab on the glass.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Initiate
74 Posts
Would you say $195 is a good price for this item?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Camry-Auto-dimming-Homelink-Mirror-Compass/dp/B006GE59VY/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1391694872&sr=8-4&keywords=toyota+homelink+mirror[/ame]

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
For those in California, did you set the compass to zone 4 or 5? I live in San Francisco and the zone chart shows zones 4 is right at the middle of California and zone 5 covers the bottom half. San Francisco falls right at the middle mark

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thank you all for the information in this thread, yesterday I bought a 2012 Camry Hybrid LE and today ordered the home link mirror w/ compass from ddave57 off ebay.

Very easy to reach the cable from under the headliner - and I have big fingers, I'm glad I didn't have to take off the console and risk breaking tabs.

Next adventure is to get rid of the stock radio and maybe find a deal on the touchscreen version.
Why they went with the L series radio in the Hybrid LE I'll never understand...

·
Conkatonk
149 Posts
just pulled a auto-dimming rear view mirror from a prius, I figured it was only 10$ with the adapter so why not....

Y'all think this will work?

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
If the mirror works, the it should work. The adapter might not fit, and if that's the case then hard wire it.

·
Conkatonk
149 Posts
After multiple cuts from the glass, I managed to pull this from the 07 Prius that had a little bit of body damage from what seemed like the car had run into a brick wall... I paid 10$

As you can see in the picture! **3 buttons for garage doors** **2 buttons for on and off**

Here's a tip to everyone who just wants an auto-dimming mirror...

There are 3 different types of rear view mirrors, apparently.

1. Standard (Flip lever to dim) 10$ at a pick n pull
2. Auto-Dim not too sure.
3. Intelligent - 100$ at a pick n pull

4. Not all mirrors with compasses in it are intelligent...

I assume since everyone wants a compass in their mirror they think it's "Intelligent", it's not...

Intelligent rear view mirrors are the mirrors with Onstar type features or backup video in it.

I don't know where I am going with this, but I can only put this as simple as this.

Go to your salvage yard, look through as many vehicles as you wish until you find a good auto dimming mirror (If wires are coming out of the mirror, and there is no little flipper on the back! cha-ching!) You will save from what I am seeing... $150+ I think that's a deal. Just sayin.

GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY. STOP BEING A YUPPY.

·
Conkatonk
149 Posts
If the mirror works, the it should work. The adapter might not fit, and if that's the case then hard wire it.
White adapter did Not work, nothing a solder gun, solder, and some black tape wouldn't fix.

I actually found it was easier to NOT remove the console in the roof, as if you looked in the front of the headliner, there are 2 holes where you would have the extras for another camera or auto start of some sort. I pulled down on that a little bit and the wires were taped down RIGHT there. Easy. took about 20 minutes for all.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
White adapter did Not work, nothing a solder gun, solder, and some black tape wouldn't fix.

I actually found it was easier to NOT remove the console in the roof, as if you looked in the front of the headliner, there are 2 holes where you would have the extras for another camera or auto start of some sort. I pulled down on that a little bit and the wires were taped down RIGHT there. Easy. took about 20 minutes for all.
Nice! Did you have room to solder up there w/o pulling the center console?

·
Conkatonk
149 Posts
Nice! Did you have room to solder up there w/o pulling the center console?
oh yeah! I'd say there was a good 6 inches of wire that came down, cut about 1/4" above the white plug and soldered it up. put some electrical tape on it then put the plastic cover (on the wires originally) over the solder and taped it up. all went easy and well.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
oh yeah! I'd say there was a good 6 inches of wire that came down, cut about 1/4" above the white plug and soldered it up. put some electrical tape on it then put the plastic cover (on the wires originally) over the solder and taped it up. all went easy and well.
Awesome! Can't beat it for $10!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
So my friend just bought a 2014.5 se v6 Camry and it didn't have to rear dimmer mirror but i had one left from my old 2009 Camry..So we tried to install it because he had a harness that was tucked away at the headliner but when i plug it in the headlights came on and the mirror didn't work? Any idea why?

·
Conkatonk
149 Posts
So my friend just bought a 2014.5 se v6 Camry and it didn't have to rear dimmer mirror but i had one left from my old 2009 Camry..So we tried to install it because he had a harness that was tucked away at the headliner but when i plug it in the headlights came on and the mirror didn't work? Any idea why?

Make sure you have the wiring correct.

it's as simple as that.

when you test to see if it is wired correct, cover BOTH of the little sensors, if it dims, you're right. if not, you're wrong. if you exhaust all possibility. You have a bad mirror.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The 2012 Camrys and up have a different pin out on the mirrors.

161 - 180 of 259 Posts
About this Discussion
258 Replies
90 Participants
tdi200
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing