1 - 20 of 330 Posts

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GEN 7 wind noise SEE PAGE 13 POST 182!

Hello guys.

Question to all 2012 camry owners:
do you hear wind noise at speeds above 50-60?

At first I was thinking that weather strip is not tight enough and letting some air into cabin, but looks like all this noise coming through front driver and I guess passenger window.
I know Toyota placed some bumps between window and side view mirror to create turbulence and better air flow over sides and rear of the car, but in my opinion it shouldn’t create so much noise.
So what is the source of this noise: bad door seal, poor side mirror design or “turbulence” bump?
:chug:

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I've seen some complaints here about the wind noise coming from the door mirror area. Not sure what can be done about it.

·
Millions &millions served
8,078 Posts
Hello guys.
Question to all 2012 camry owners: do you hear/feel wind noise at speeds above 50?
At 65 and up when driving in windy weather I can hear pretty high wind sound right at my head level. So what is the source of this noise: bad door seal, poor side mirror design or “turbulence” bump?
ugh the answer is "D. Because its a windy day."

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ugh the answer is "D. Because its a windy day."
:).
I can hear it all the time. it just more noticeable in windy weather and at high speed.
vs. my 2007 camry and even 2000 wind noise is very loud.

level of the wind noise was much lower in my 2007 camry, but overall gen6 cabin was noisier.
is it possible that I can hear wind just because level of the cabin noise in gen 7 camry much lower than in gen 6 and in my older car wind was covered by road and power train noise?

not trying to be picky or smart, just wanna see if some one feel the same and what might be the reason for this issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's officially official- EVERY car in the mid-size sedan class produces enough wind noise so that somewhere someone will start its own respective "wind noise" thread. I had hoped against hope that the 2012 Camry would escape such scrutiny...but nope.

Really, do these threads even have meaning anymore? I mean, what car in this class doesn't produce "wind noise"? Yeah, I know...your 1997.5 Suzuki E429-k14 was the "quietest car you've ever driven". Whatever.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i've owned 11 new cars since 2004 and of those eleven, 2 of the last 3 have had window noise coming from the mirror. it's not a common issue from the cars i've owned and i hope they will fix it just like vw did when it started happening on the jetta i had. it's annoying to be driving down the road and you can hear a whistle that's louder than the radio.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i've owned 11 new cars since 2004 and of those eleven, 2 of the last 3 have had window noise coming from the mirror. it's not a common issue from the cars i've owned and i hope they will fix it just like vw did when it started happening on the jetta i had. it's annoying to be driving down the road and you can hear a whistle that's louder than the radio.
Well, you're assuming it's the same issue as with your old VW, and fixable. Something tells me, though, that the wind noise will be Camry's constant companion for the life of this(and every other) sub-25K family sedan. We'll see.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It's officially official- EVERY car in the mid-size sedan class produces enough wind noise so that somewhere someone will start its own respective "wind noise" thread. I had hoped against hope that the 2012 Camry would escape such scrutiny...but nope.
I didn't complained about wind noise when was driving 2001 and 2007 camry and never even seen such compliance about these cars.

well, it's not louder than radio, but still annoying, especially in very quite car like new camry.
I owned 92 legacy, 98 mazda 626, 99 infinity I30,2000 and 2001 camry, 2007 camry drove alot 2003 accord, 2011 camry, 2002 GS300, 2004 RX330 ram 1500, F150 few more cars and suv's and never heard any wind and none of these cars were new...
not complaining, just trying to find out if it's my car only or all camrys "make" wind noise.
I understand camry is no Bentley, but vs other cars wind noise if high.

they will fix it just like vw did
what exactly vw did?

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Respectfully understood. And I should reserve judgement until I actually drive a 2012. My apologies.
you good, if you not kidding. :)
It not even complain, well maybe a little, mostly I just want to see if something wrong with my car.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
speed up to 95 MPH this morning: after 85 wind noise disappeared completely...
noise most noticeable at 60-75MPH.
above 80 noise turns into smooth quiet flowing sound like it should be at 65...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just drove approx 1000 highway miles and I didn't notice any wind noise. The car is quieter than my 2007 XLE. I drive at speeds of 65 to 90. Naturally there is some noise but not what seems to be described above. I love this car! 2012 XLE V6

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have driven two 2012 Camrys with absolutely no wind noise. In fact Toyota has improved seals to achieve this result. I would take it to the dealer for repair.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have driven two 2012 Camrys with absolutely no wind noise. In fact Toyota has improved seals to achieve this result. I would take it to the dealer for repair.
"absolutely no wind noise" compared to what?
sorry, even large luxury cars are not 100% quiet.
couple days back drove in 2009 bmw 5: quiet car, but some wind noise still noticeable.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just drove approx 1000 highway miles and I didn't notice any wind noise. The car is quieter than my 2007 XLE. I drive at speeds of 65 to 90. Naturally there is some noise but not what seems to be described above. I love this car! 2012 XLE V6
maybe I just over exaggerating. it is much quieter than my 2007 LE. but 2007 camry average noise level vs wind noise VS 2012 camry noise level vs wind noise, 2012 is louder.
maybe because of 2012 overall is much quieter wind noise is more noticeable?
seals are tight I checked for tightness and leaks.
I'll try another 2012 and see if I'll hear the same noise.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Another thing that helps is the XLE V6 has Acoustic noise-reducing front windshield. This is according to Toyota's website. It seems it's available only on XLE v6 and the Hybrids.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I didn't complained about wind noise when was driving 2001 and 2007 camry and never even seen such compliance about these cars.

well, it's not louder than radio, but still annoying, especially in very quite car like new camry.
The 2012s I drove generated no complaints about wind noise compliance. In fact they were notable in that they were quite quiet .

1 - 20 of 330 Posts