Toyota Nation Forum banner

181 - 200 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got mines replaced a few weeks ago. The part numbers were 62311-06130-co and 62312-06130-co. I am interested in the part numbers as well as my fix did not work.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #183 (Edited)
we got some real winter weather her in DFW right in time for Christmas.
:)
I was driving on service road right after they put salt and chemicals on it to melt ice and snow and my car turned from charcoal grey to almost silver-light grey in less than 20 miles.
bad thing-I have to wash it.
good thing-I know for sure where air leaks!
as soon as opened driver door I've noticed light traces of whitish-greyish salt dust on B-pillar right where I hear wind noise. traces went under outer weather strip and under inner strip too. right in the middle of window.
no doubt it where air leaks.
I already showed it to dealer. I'm due for oil change in 4-5K so will see if they gonna replace strips or do something else.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My local dealer in CT searched the Toyota internal website and told me there is updated weatherstripping. They will replace the weatherstripping on the driver door. I will have my wife drive for a bit and see if the same problem is happening on the passenger side; and, if so, complain to get that replaced as well. The part has been ordered and I will let you know if it fixes the problem. He also said he had folded the mirror in for the test drive and eliminated that as a cause on my vehicle. ** Fingers crossed **
I have a 2012 Camry SE with the same wind noise issue. I told them the issue will occur around 40 mph and definitely at 60 mph. They drove it around and said they didn't hear the noise, of course. Did the updated weather stripping resolve your issue jmbusher?

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My local dealer in CT searched the Toyota internal website and told me there is updated weatherstripping. They will replace the weatherstripping on the driver door. I will have my wife drive for a bit and see if the same problem is happening on the passenger side; and, if so, complain to get that replaced as well. The part has been ordered and I will let you know if it fixes the problem. He also said he had folded the mirror in for the test drive and eliminated that as a cause on my vehicle. ** Fingers crossed **
I have a 2012 Camry SE with the same wind noise issue. I told them the issue will occur around 40 mph and definitely at 60 mph. They drove it around and said they didn't hear the noise, of course. Did the updated weather stripping resolve your issue jmbusher?

Please keep us posted.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #186 (Edited)
Looks like I finally found fix for wind noise problem.

As I stated in above post, after driving on HWY covered with salt and chemicals designed to melt ice and snow down and founding traces of that stuff under weather strip, I’m absolutely sure that problem is loose weather strips on the door.
There two strips, outer on door frame and inner on B-pillar. Outer strip was letting air under it. Not sure about your cars, but on my car it easily can be moved outer left and right and not creating tight enough seal with B-pillar. I’m assuming it also might wobble under air stream pressure on HWY, same like rear bumpers on gen 7 camry :).
I tried to put sticky felt strip on it, but weather strip made from some kind special rubber and nothing, even silicon, sticks to it.
Well, I found easier way to immobilize weather strip inside strip channel and push strip more inwards- regular packing foam.
I had some foam in my garage and made two out of it strips about 4mm (3/8) thick and 10mm (7/8) wide.

Foam sheet. One strip has been cut out.

Foam strip goes from top to the bottom of the weather strip channel.
I simply put foam strip into channel and squeezed weather strip back into channel. Outer side of the OEM strip goes first and hold foam strip in place and inner side goes in after that.

Inner and outer grooves of the weather strip channel.

Red arrows showing foam strip between door frame and rubber OEM strip which marked by yellow arrows. OEM strip rolled out a bit to show added foam strip.

extra "push" from foam strip creates little gap between weather seal and door frame, but it tightens seal between weather strip and B-pillar.

Red arrow - gap between door frame and OEM weather strip. Yellow arrow- OEM weather strip.

I’m driving for two days with this “fix” and so far no wind noise. I haven’t drove above 70MPH and didn’t catch any wild cross winds yet, but at lower speeds and moderate wind I do not hear wind noise any more.
:rockon:
not sure how long these foam strips gonna last before they loose elasticity and stop pushing rubber seal inwards, but it very cheap and easy fix, so I'm not worried about it much.

·
Registered
173 Posts
David,

Nice fix if is works. I bet within a few weeks now the Toyota engineers will say that they have a solution and copy yours!:thumbsup: Nice DIY.

Maybe they designed the weather strip to be a little less tight since the doors are not as heavy and you dont have the momentum to close them with a heavy door. A thicker weather strip would mean more force to get the door to latch....

If this is the fix then some purpose built door weather stripping from home depot will be the ticket for me.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #188 (Edited)
David,

Nice fix if is works. I bet within a few weeks now the Toyota engineers will say that they have a solution and copy yours!:thumbsup: Nice DIY.

Maybe they designed the weather strip to be a little less tight since the doors are not as heavy and you dont have the momentum to close them with a heavy door. A thicker weather strip would mean more force to get the door to latch....

If this is the fix then some purpose built door weather stripping from home depot will be the ticket for me.
thanks.
I looked another 2013 TCH today (was trying to by 12'LE for my wife) and strips are exact the same. they still have some free play if you move them.
not sure why weather strips are not exactly tight, but it doesn't look right to me.
tightness of the strips can also be adjusted by moving door lock or other thing (don't remember how it called) mounted on B-pillar, if it's adjustable, but I didn't want to mess with door geometry and make it close overly tight.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Honestly I don't hear much wind noise but it is there compared to the other cars in our family's fleet. Always room for improvement. I need to do some sound proofing next.... A little dynamat and 3m sound deadening pads in the doors.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
I don't know about this wind noise everyone is talking about. Make sure the weather strip by door is properly sealed. I haven't had a problem with wind sound on my Camry.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
nobody saying that all camry got wind noise, few, some, but not all.
another thing to consider is your ears sensitivity and tolerability to noises: I can hear it pretty clearly and do not tolerate any squeaks or whistles, my wife- she don't care much about it, even tough she can hear it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've noticed the same issue at the driver's side door. Almost sounds like a whistling noise going between 40-50mph.

Has Toyota provided any feedback besides bringing it to the dealer and then having them "unable to replicate the issue"?

Edit: Just read the post a page back and will check on that first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I have a '12 SE. I joined the forum because of this wind issue. Really aggrevating and has been doing it since day one. Car was built 11/11 in KY.

I have an appointment this week at the dealer. Even if they say it is normal, at least I will have it on record in case there is a future fix.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Hi, I have a '12 SE. I joined the forum because of this wind issue. Really aggrevating and has been doing it since day one. Car was built 11/11 in KY.

I have an appointment this week at the dealer. Even if they say it is normal, at least I will have it on record in case there is a future fix.
!!!! got "wind noise" issue? send email to
Toyota Customer Experience
. !!!!

http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/ask/s/561/p/208,230

don't wait, do it now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tsb 0077-12

Unfortunately this has not solved the problem. I don’t know what the TSB says; have not seen a copy. If anyone can get this and post it that would be appreciated.
The invoice states: “Tech confirmed wind noise from drivers window. Tech installed inner weatherstrip per TSB 0077-12”. Part number listed: 68172-06092 weatherstrip, FR.
There is also a note on the bottom which is mysterious: “Deleted Operation(s) 23T0Z Misc. Trim – Ext.”
I will be calling the dealer back and see what they recommend next.
I am also having a problem with popping sound from the roof when body “twists” when entering or exiting driveway/road on entranceway slopes. If anyone has a reference for a forum on that issue it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like I finally found fix for wind noise problem.

As I stated in above post, after driving on HWY covered with salt and chemicals designed to melt ice and snow down and founding traces of that stuff under weather strip, I’m absolutely sure that problem is loose weather strips on the door.
There two strips, outer on door frame and inner on B-pillar. Outer strip was letting air under it. Not sure about your cars, but on my car it easily can be moved outer left and right and not creating tight enough seal with B-pillar. I’m assuming it also might wobble under air stream pressure on HWY, same like rear bumpers on gen 7 camry :).
I tried to put sticky felt strip on it, but weather strip made from some kind special rubber and nothing, even silicon, sticks to it.
Well, I found easier way to immobilize weather strip inside strip channel and push strip more inwards- regular packing foam.
I had some foam in my garage and made two out of it strips about 4mm (3/8) thick and 10mm (7/8) wide.

Foam sheet. One strip has been cut out.

Foam strip goes from top to the bottom of the weather strip channel.
I simply put foam strip into channel and squeezed weather strip back into channel. Outer side of the OEM strip goes first and hold foam strip in place and inner side goes in after that.

Inner and outer grooves of the weather strip channel.

Red arrows showing foam strip between door frame and rubber OEM strip which marked by yellow arrows. OEM strip rolled out a bit to show added foam strip.

extra "push" from foam strip creates little gap between weather seal and door frame, but it tightens seal between weather strip and B-pillar.

Red arrow - gap between door frame and OEM weather strip. Yellow arrow- OEM weather strip.

I’m driving for two days with this “fix” and so far no wind noise. I haven’t drove above 70MPH and didn’t catch any wild cross winds yet, but at lower speeds and moderate wind I do not hear wind noise any more.
:rockon:
not sure how long these foam strips gonna last before they loose elasticity and stop pushing rubber seal inwards, but it very cheap and easy fix, so I'm not worried about it much.
Thanks. Can you post some pictures from further away, less close up? It's hard to understand where you are finding the problem

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Unfortunately this has not solved the problem. I don’t know what the TSB says; have not seen a copy. If anyone can get this and post it that would be appreciated.
The invoice states: “Tech confirmed wind noise from drivers window. Tech installed inner weatherstrip per TSB 0077-12”. Part number listed: 68172-06092 weatherstrip, FR.
it didn't work because this TSB for completely different problem.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Thanks. Can you post some pictures from further away, less close up? It's hard to understand where you are finding the problem
I'll try to do it later.
if you would open front door you'll see two weather strips: one on the door which goes around door and second on B-pillar.
door strip is not tight enough, it moves inside strip channel and does not create tight seal with B-pillar. by my opinion it must be moved closer to inner side of the channel (exactly what foam strip doing) or whole strip must be redesigned and made thicker, at least part which comes into contact with B-pillar.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any update on the fix? I tested a previous theory stated in this forum, and after folding my drivers side rear view mirror,the noise went away. I fold it back to normal position and the noise comes back. Are there any fixes for this so far? Any advice, I'd appreciate. Thank you.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Any update on the fix? I tested a previous theory stated in this forum, and after folding my drivers side rear view mirror,the noise went away. I fold it back to normal position and the noise comes back. Are there any fixes for this so far? Any advice, I'd appreciate. Thank you.
I have a piece of sticky velcro (hairy part) between mounting part and actual mirror housing on both sides -didn't change anything at all.
but foam strip under OEM door weather strip works for me.
my original foam strip already lost flexibility and not pushing rubber weather strip tight enough, so I’m looking for another material, for something more durable.
It worked fine for couple days, now it became no more than 1 mm thick vs original 4 mm.

181 - 200 of 330 Posts
About this Discussion
329 Replies
92 Participants
molson.david
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing