Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 330 Posts

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Browsing oversea Toyota forum I found the way to test my seals:
Set air circulation on outside and turn fan on full speed.
Pressure inside the car will force air out through weak spots.
In my case I could hear air escaping through the seals on the back edge of the driver and passenger door (there is the same noise on passenger side, just bit less noticeable) and much louder “wind noise” under driver door handle. Rear doors were very tight and had no leak.
Door handle seal was pretty easy to modify to make it tighter.
Don’t know if that was the reason and didn’t have chance to test it on Hwy yet.
If nothing gonna change I’ll bother dealer closer to my first oil change, don’t have time for that now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wind noise

I just traded in my 09 Nissan maxima, fully loaded, loved he car. But the lease was up, I wanted to lower my payments and get better fuel economy. Anyway, I never had any wind noise. I now own a 2012 Camry SE I4, 3 days now. There is wind noise at various speeds. It s coming from the front driver door around the top of the driver window. A little disappointed. But from what I read it seems it is common with the car. Well time to tint and add HID low beams and HID fogs. I'll just crank up the radio...what wind noise?!

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
^
I still can not figure out where it coming from.
I'm not even sure door seal is bad. after couple different tests looks like air getting in between window frame and window channel seal.
when I'm driving fast and put my fingers next to the window frame (left bottom corner if you looking on driver window from inside) I can feel light cold breeze...
left to right cross wind increases this feeling.

dealer offered to leave my car for a day to let tech drive it...
they say nobody complained before and there is no TSB or improved window seal.
well, I guess I'll do more testing to see where air coming from...

any ideas?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have had experience with two differenct 2012 Camry SEs. My first one was taken back by Toyota for an airbag problem so I'm now on my second one. Both cars make the exact same wind noise you're talking about. Hope this helps.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have had experience with two differenct 2012 Camry SEs. My first one was taken back by Toyota for an airbag problem so I'm now on my second one. Both cars make the exact same wind noise you're talking about. Hope this helps.
nope. if you would've tell me how to fix it that would be helpful :)

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I think I pin pointed area which might let air in.
there is 4" long area where outside seal makes curve and doesn't make tight seal with door and frame. it is hollow inside and got no clips to hold it in place.
I've inserted rubberized seal inside, now this area much stiffer and stick better to the door, will see if it gonna work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wind noise Camry SE 2012

I just bought a Toyota Camry SE 2012 two weeks ago and have the same problem with the wind noise. It is very noticeable around 60 mph. The wind noise sounds like it is coming from the drivers side door above my head. I took it into dealer and they said they submitted a claim to Toyota on how to proceed. I should hear back from them next week. I will post their response and let everyone know if their is a resolution to this problem. This wind noise is very annoying and I hope there is a fix for it.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I just bought a Toyota Camry SE 2012 two weeks ago and have the same problem with the wind noise. It is very noticeable around 60 mph. The wind noise sounds like it is coming from the drivers side door above my head. I took it into dealer and they said they submitted a claim to Toyota on how to proceed. I should hear back from them next week. I will post their response and let everyone know if their is a resolution to this problem. This wind noise is very annoying and I hope there is a fix for it.
sure, let us know.
I'll be glad to hear about fix or TSB for that problem.
so far I don't hear anything anymore.
but crosswinds are not really strong today and I didn't go over 60 MPH.

·
Registered
248 Posts
there is 4" long area where outside seal makes curve and doesn't make tight seal with door and frame. it is hollow inside and got no clips to hold it in place.
I've inserted rubberized seal inside, now this area much stiffer and stick better to the door, will see if it gonna work.
Hey, keep us posted if that works! I'd def like to dampen some of the wind noise. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
David,

Where did you get the rubberized seal and how did you attach it? Not sure if you can post pictures here but would love to see how you did it. I still have not heard back from Toyota yet about a fix, hopefully they will be calling me this week.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
^.
Go to HomeDepot or Lowe’s , find hardware department and ask for door or window seal.
Usually they black, come in rolls and got sticky tape on one side. Don’t remember brand but it says rubberized seal on package.
I got one ¼ thick, it does not have to be thick, just thick enough to fill up OEM seal.
The thinnest one available.

Pull and 6-8 inches out of pack, cut it off and slice it with utility knife or something very sharp in two strips. One strip (with sticky tape) should be 1/3 of original thickness-goes to trash can, other -2/3.
On the door, where seal makes curve, pull seal off plastic clips (you’ll see them if you’ll pull seal away from the door) and out off channel on window part of the door. You also should see place where base of the seal is cut open-have no idea why...
Apply some lubricant (I used regular grease, helps to slide it in) onto “home made” :) seal and slide it inside of the cut (opening). Slide it up as far as you can go. Use long tiny not sharp screw driver (pencil) to push it up.
Then do the same for second part of the seal and slide it down inside OEM seal.
Idea is to fill up OEM seal and make it stiffer, but keep original shape and size of the seal.
Do not let “new seal” twist or bulge inside OEM seal.
My seal was letting wind in right at the curve (at least I think so), so I went 4-5” up from the opening and 4-5” down.
Will try to make pics, after work.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
still cannot figure out what exactly going on: even after seal "improvement" I still hear same noise on hwy at 65-70 and cross winds.
also I can feel air coming out from in between window and door card.
don't want to remove door card before dealer will try to resolve issue.
got appointment scheduled for next week. if they (most likely :)) will not find any problem, spoke to service advisers twice and they both were not very optimistic and said that it going to be very hard to find source of this problem and Toyota cars never had "wind issue", I'm gonna remove card and see how air coming inside of the door.

p.s. drove two more LE and two SE: one LE and both SE got same noise and air movement. sales man noticed that too after I pointed what to look for.

21 - 40 of 330 Posts