Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought 12 LE a week ago. I purposely took extended test drive to check for wind noise and rattles. My '11 Tundra has what I consider to be a little bit excessive wind noise when faced with wind from certain directions. The Camry, at least to now seems to be in the normal range for wind sounds (aware of wind at high speeds, but no specific annoying location) . The Subaru built Camry has very tight body, no rattles. So far I'm happy with the car coming from an '04 Camry. The '04 was an outstanding car, but right from the start the new 12 body seems tighter and more solid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"IT IS COMING FROM DRIVER SIDE MIRROR" Fold your mirror and drive like that and sound will go away.
I have a 2012 Camry SE and so far I tried everything and this buzzing/static noise is still there. The only way that I can stop it is to fold my driver side mirror. first talked to the Toyota dealer and did some test drive with them but their response was "What noise????"
tried to tape up all doors and windows but it didn't help. then someone in other Page talked about seatbelt spring which again was not the case. and finaly folded the mirror and noise was gone. now how to fix it ? I have no idea !!!

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
^ most likely noise created not by mirror, but by “vortex generator” bump.
If dealer won’t fix it my next try will be making deflector or cover for that “bump”.
I'm even thinking about filing it off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
^ most likely noise created not by mirror, but by “vortex generator” bump.
If dealer won’t fix it my next try will be making deflector or cover for that “bump”.
I'm even thinking about filing it off.
Vortex is on both sides of the car but this noise is coming from driver side only. I did a test drive with a Duct tape put over vortex on driver side but noise still was there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This does sound like everyone is having the same issue so hopefully they fix it. I'm taking mine into dealer next week. I drove mine easy for first thousand miles and did not notice it. It is like torture now 90% of the time between 50-80, rattle/chirp/wind noise louder than radio. I'm on a road trip now that I thought I would enjoy. This is actually my third Camry and will not buy again if they do not fix it. This is definitely a defect that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This does sound like everyone is having the same issue so hopefully they fix it. I'm taking mine into dealer next week. I drove mine easy for first thousand miles and did not notice it. It is like torture now 90% of the time between 50-80, rattle/chirp/wind noise louder than radio. I'm on a road trip now that I thought I would enjoy. This is actually my third Camry and will not buy again if they do not fix it. This is definitely a defect that needs to be addressed.
I took my car to two different dealers and in total three foremen in one dealership and two repair guy in another dealership did test drive with me and said they cannot hear anything. All the time I was on passenger side and could hear the noise and tell him “listen listen ..... I can hear it now !! can you hear it? Can you hear it? And he is putting his head a little closer to window and after a while saying “I am sorry I didn’t hear anything”. One foreman said he is unable to “TUNE” his ear with this noise and for him everything is normal. They said I am the first person ever that is complaining about such a noise. They make you to feel abnormal, like your ear is out of Tune and nothing is wrong with the car. Good luck anyway I am waiting someone to come forward and offer some kind of solution for this.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I took my car to two different dealers and in total three foremen in one dealership and two repair guy in another dealership did test drive with me and said they cannot hear anything. All the time I was on passenger side and could hear the noise and tell him “listen listen ..... I can hear it now !! can you hear it? Can you hear it? And he is putting his head a little closer to window and after a while saying “I am sorry I didn’t hear anything”. One foreman said he is unable to “TUNE” his ear with this noise and for him everything is normal. They said I am the first person ever that is complaining about such a noise. They make you to feel abnormal, like your ear is out of Tune and nothing is wrong with the car. Good luck anyway I am waiting someone to come forward and offer some kind of solution for this.
I'm ready to feel abnormal too :). don't expect much from dealer. it is not mechanical problem.
plus some peoples ears more sensitive than others.
when I listen to music I hear details that most people can't. my wife can hear same noise to, but it barely noticeable for her and it doesn't bother her much.
but for me it's completely different story.
anyway, if dealer won't help and I'm pretty sure about it, I'm gonna remove door card and plug every hole I'll see (besides drainage) to block air circulation.
sound deadened will block outside noise-gen 7 doors are pretty poorly insulated and thinking about doing something with vortex generators-by my opinion they creating too much turbulence and noise.

do you know any 1-800 toyota line we can call and complain? obviously it is not safety issue but if people will start bother them toyota might to do something.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had my new Camry for two days, and have yet to hear any wind noise. I wonder if the noise that others are hearing could be related to the vortex generators. The brochure states that the vortex generators alter the airflow on the car. The are vortex generators located right next to both outside mirrors, which is where some people indicate the noise is coming from. The altered airflow may inadvertently be causing excessive wind noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see this as a safety problem too. It is really distracting which is the number one thing that can cause accidents. I keep on checking back hoping someone found a solution. There are other mentions on other threads of probably the same issue. Seriously, my family has been buying Toyotas since the 80s and never had any rattle/chirp issue. I was not expecting this type of a problem at all from the first Toyota of my own. My other car is a Hyundai that does not do that and I'm probably going to be driving it a lot more.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I see this as a safety problem too. It is really distracting which is the number one thing that can cause accidents. I keep on checking back hoping someone found a solution. There are other mentions on other threads of probably the same issue. Seriously, my family has been buying Toyotas since the 80s and never had any rattle/chirp issue. I was not expecting this type of a problem at all from the first Toyota of my own. My other car is a Hyundai that does not do that and I'm probably going to be driving it a lot more.
Document the issue (record it on video if you can't duplicate it all the time) and take it to your dealer. The more feedback Toyota gets, the faster they will come up with a TSB. Personally, I have yet to experience this issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I popped in here and read a bit before buying '12 LE and this is one of the threads I read. I purposely took a long test drive to rule out wind noise. Weird for me taking a car with less than 10 miles up to 80 mph but the wind drag is low as well as the rpm so I didn't think it would hurt anything.

After another few hundred miles, my report is the same. Wind noise is similar to my '04. Yes at high speeds can hear the air. But no specific location is prominent, sounds equal from both sides of car. No high pitched sibilant whistle or rustle. So far so good.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I see this as a safety problem too. It is really distracting which is the number one thing that can cause accidents. I keep on checking back hoping someone found a solution.
I know noises can annoy, but you really have to be completely off of your rocker to consider this a safety issue.

WOW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree that this noise is safety issue too. Not only it is annoying but makes me angry every time I drive my brand new 2012 Camry. Just yesterday drove my car on highway and when was exiting highway I was so upset and annoyed with this noise that almost had an accident with another car. It is hard to describe but you have to be in our shoes to understand what we are talking about.

·
Registered
32 Posts
3 weeks with the car and the wind noise is starting to bother me. I have owned, hondas, Acura, Nissan, Mazda and Audi, not one of my cars had wind noise like the 2012 Camry has. It is a whistle noise. I plan on bringing it to the shop in a couple of weeks (need some free time). I understand that there is wind noise with some cars especially at higher speeds, but this is unacceptable.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I agree that this noise is safety issue too. Not only it is annoying but makes me angry every time I drive my brand new 2012 Camry. Just yesterday drove my car on highway and when was exiting highway I was so upset and annoyed with this noise that almost had an accident with another car. It is hard to describe but you have to be in our shoes to understand what we are talking about.
I poke fun just a little. I'm quite sure it could be really annoying. Not sure I could call it a safety issue, but I'd be looking for a fix if it were my car too.

Good luck in getting it solved.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
ok. just came back from the dealer ship.

I've been told I was the first 2012 camry owner ever complained about anything :banana:.
so far they had just one new camry for tire rotation.
service department manager personally took my car and another brand new XLE of the lot for test drive. he did noticed air moving out from door switch and he heard wind noise, but he didn't hear internal wind noise I'm complaining about. he admitted it is not normal.
tech cleaned door seals, but they don't have any fix for that...
dealer will submit my claim to toyota because they want to know about every complain on new cars and when toyota will get certain number of complains they should start doing something about it and hopefully some time later will issue TSB.

so every one with similar problem, please find time and let your dealer know about this issue. more complains- higher possibility for TSB.
:chug:

·
Registered
2 Posts
3 weeks with the car and the wind noise is starting to bother me. I have owned, hondas, Acura, Nissan, Mazda and Audi, not one of my cars had wind noise like the 2012 Camry has. It is a whistle noise. I plan on bringing it to the shop in a couple of weeks (need some free time). I understand that there is wind noise with some cars especially at higher speeds, but this is unacceptable.
I too am starting to get very annoyed with the "Whistle/Chirp" noise at highway speeds. I think it is misleading for some when we say "wind noise" because that can be such a broad range of sounds. To me it almost sounds like someone who is trying to use a blade of grass in between there hands and blowing across it to make that awful noise. You can make the noise with a piece of paper too. it is coming from the driver side window/door area. Although it seems to be head level its hard to pinpoint. No place else in the car other than the driver side makes the noise. I, like others have mentioned, can get the noise to stop if I fold my driver side mirror in. It must disrupt the airflow just enough to stop/reduce the "leakage". Hope that something gets figured out soon because it is the type of noise that you start focusing on and makes my daily 45min drive to and from work pretty frustrating. I wish I would've noticed it on my test drive. Now unless I'm driving in town under 40mph or I CRANK my stereo on the highway it is very noticeable. Otherwise I really enjoy this car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Eldress, that is exactly the noise. The whistle, like a blade of grass. I was on the highway today at about 90 I did not ear it, around town it is very noticeable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Eldress, that is exactly the noise. The whistle, like a blade of grass. I was on the highway today at about 90 I did not ear it, around town it is very noticeable.
Have you tried folding your mirror in yet? Just curious if it stops the noise for you too. I have not been up to 90mph yet to see if it stops. I will try tomorrow morning. Please keep me posted if you find a fix. Both Toyota dealers in my area know nothing about the problem (yet) and said they wouldn't be able to do much unless a service bulletin was issue.

41 - 60 of 330 Posts