Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought the 2012 Camry SE and after 3 weeks driving it, I have noticed that my old 1998 Camry runs quietter. Why??? It is really the question for Toyota's engineers. What they changed could be a mistake that made new Camry no longer a super smooth car.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
It's not just the Camry. I think it might be all of their newer cars. I've complained of NVH issues in the Venza forum ad nauseum & there are plenty to go around in all the others. (Highlander folks are little miffed too)

I, too, have a '98 Camry that rides like a dream. I actually prefer to drive it over the Venza as it's so much smoother & quieter. The Venza can be smooth & quiet at low speeds (sub 40mph) but give it some rough roads or highway speeds or both & it's another story.

I also drove a '12 Camry SE before selecting the Venza as a dealer suggested I tell my wife, "We're getting an SE, you get to pick the color" but I absolutely did NOT like the ride of the SE. Heck, even the '12 LE's don't ride as nicely as the '11 and earlier Camrys. I don't know what's up but somebody at Toyota has made a decision to move NVH down the list of priorities and it's pretty much all around. Not good, imo.

:thumbsdow

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys.
Question to all 2012 camry owners: do you hear/feel wind noise at speeds above 50?
At 65 and up when driving in windy weather I can hear pretty loud wind noise right at my head level.
At first I was thinking that weather strip is not tight enough and letting some air into cabin, but looks like all this noise coming through front driver and I guess passenger window.
I know Toyota placed some bump between window and side view mirror to create turbulence and better air flow over sides and rear of the car, but in my opinion it shouldn’t create so much noise.
So what is the source of this noise: bad door seal, poor side mirror design or “turbulence” bump?
:chug:
I bought new 2012 Camry LE in October. After Driving for a week I noticed a weird sound coming in Driver Side Door(don't know exactly where it is coming from but only driver can hear it ) when driving on interstates.
It sounds like a whistle, you need to pay attention to it, to hear that.

And there is wind noise in the rear or front window on the passenger side. When there is a cross breeze on the interstate, it makes kind of humming noise in the window(sounds like a loose window glass shaking. But everything looks fine with the door/window and sealing). The technician has noticed that too on other new Camrys.

Took it Toyota dealership and complained on that. They said other cars on the inventory making same kind of noise. I drove a new car on their inventory to make sure, and it is making the same sound I complained about.

They turned down my complaint saying working as designed because other 2012 Camrys are making the same sound.

I drove few other cars Accord and Altima, they don't make that sound. Don't know how this is not found before releasing the product into market.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your dilema. That's rough because I get where they're coming from, but that sucks.

I think my problem lies in where they let NVH slide for techological advances. On these new Toyotas we get....

Bluetooth
Backup cameras
Nav
Dual VVTi
6, 7 & 8 speed trannies

But all the rest is still the same. (OK, I'll give them the "all down/all up" power windows but that was inevitable & not a "perk", imo)

What happened to the QUALITY of the build? Why do these suckers rattle so much? Why the wind noises? You know crews drive from coast to coast several times (I know, I work around the corner from one of them) to troubleshoot these very issues. Is it only about engine, trans & gadgets anymore?

I appreciate a reliable engine/trans but I mean 13 years after I bought my Gen4 I'd think they could do AT LEAST as well in terms of NVH and I can only conclude it's not even the same.....but worse. Disappointing.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Toyota dealers in my area know nothing about the problem (yet) and said they wouldn't be able to do much unless a service bulletin was issue.
did they submit claim to toyota?
make sure they did, otherwise we'll never see TSB...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took mine in. They said all of their Camrys are making this noise, but they don't really have a fix until they get a TSB from Toyota. Everyone needs to take theirs in so we see a fix to this defect. Also, report it on your feedback survey. I'm happy with car except this really annoying problem.

·
2013 Tacoma
2010 Yaris 4-Door LB
612 Posts
Not to throw this thing off topic...but does anyone remember the article in either Automobile or Motor Trend magazines (can't remember which one, as I have both) a couple of years back that talked about wind noise, rattles, etc. in newer cars?

It was a very interesting read. Wind and interior noises are the #1 complaint across the board for all makes and models. Basically they said that modern cars have such good NVH traits that we hear more small things than we used too. The slightest hint of wind noise or an interior rattle sound much worse in a modern car than in older cars. Older cars were much louder and tended to mask sounds better. They even implied that our expectations for new car noises may not be realistic.

Not saying that there isn't an issue with the new Camry, as I've not driven one...and there may very well be a problem. But hurling a 2 ton hunk of steal, plastic and glass down the highway at 70 mph and expect no wind noise at all might be asking a bit much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This problem is clearly a defect and not like normal road noise, but rather a loud clicking/rattle sound. Old fashioned white noise would be much better. The 2011 Camry I have to compare with is much quieter overall and does not have a rattle/click. I was on a road trip and I could hear it over very loud music when going fast enough and it really made the road trip annoying. I've learned my lesson about buying cars during the first year of their redesign. I thought Toyotas were better than that for some reason.

Not to throw this thing off topic...but does anyone remember the article in either Automobile or Motor Trend magazines (can't remember which one, as I have both) a couple of years back that talked about wind noise, rattles, etc. in newer cars?

It was a very interesting read. Wind and interior noises are the #1 complaint across the board for all makes and models. Basically they said that modern cars have such good NVH traits that we hear more small things than we used too. The slightest hint of wind noise or an interior rattle sound much worse in a modern car than in older cars. Older cars were much louder and tended to mask sounds better. They even implied that our expectations for new car noises may not be realistic.

Not saying that there isn't an issue with the new Camry, as I've not driven one...and there may very well be a problem. But hurling a 2 ton hunk of steal, plastic and glass down the highway at 70 mph and expect no wind noise at all might be asking a bit much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've only had my XLE Hybrid a few days, but I have to say that I haven't heard any unusual wind noise, rattles or clicks at any speed. Actually, it's surprisingly quiet.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Looks like I found source of all these noises.
Vortex generators (VG).
I tried many things and most of them pointed to VG. When these bumps are covered with something slick and aerodynamic noise level goes down dramatically.
I can’t find anything nicely looking to cover VG. My most successful design works like a little spoiler:
I used piece of 3M door edge molding and installed right behind VG on the edge of the mirror pillar-not sure if it is right name for that part.
Drove for two days with it, wind noise level is noticeably lower than before. also noises that bothered me almost gone too, I barely can hear them.
For now it gonna work but I’m looking for something that can be installed over VG and look more “civilized” than just a door edge guard.
Vortex generators are Evil!

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Camry SE
31 Posts
Vortex generators (VG).
I tried many things and most of them pointed to VG. When these bumps are covered with something slick and aerodynamic noise level goes down dramatically.
I can’t find anything nicely looking to cover VG. My most successful design works like a little spoiler:
I used piece of 3M door edge molding and installed right behind VG on the edge of the mirror pillar-not sure if it is right name for that part.
Drove for two days with it, wind noise level is noticeably lower than before. also noises that bothered me almost gone too, I barely can hear them.
For now it gonna work but I’m looking for something that can be installed over VG and look more “civilized” than just a door edge guard.
Great find! Can you post pics?

·
Registered
43 Posts
If its the VG, I wonder if we may see and aftermarket replacement part. I also wonder how much these contribute to gas mileage? If its a few mpg, then I'll take the noise though that hasn't been a problem for me coming from a 97 Camry. If the improvement is more like 1 mpg, I might try something to see how much quieter the ride gets...

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
Great find! Can you post pics?
will make some tomorrow.
sorry I still feel some dizziness from New Year champagne...
:)

If its the VG, I wonder if we may see and aftermarket replacement part. I also wonder how much these contribute to gas mileage? If its a few mpg, then I'll take the noise though that hasn't been a problem for me coming from a 97 Camry. If the improvement is more like 1 mpg, I might try something to see how much quieter the ride gets...
yep, I would like to see these numbers too. I've reed about VG and they can be very efficient at least on planes and sport cars. but camry neither or and MPG improvement only 2 MPG over gen 6.5. doubt VG responsible for whole 2 MPG.

also I'm wondering if smoothing back edges of the VG will reduce vortex effect. without edges bump will be almost perfectly aerodynamic and let air flow udistorbed.
no edges -no vortex... and it not gonna look getto and pretty easy to do.
but can't find any suitable info on it.
any info on it, help?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vortex Generator

Vortex generators (VG).
Is this kind of what you did? I took a picture of my car and sketched in the part where i thought you put it.

Also, i took my car into the dealer twice and they said there is nothing they can do since all of the cars have this problem. They have to wait to hear from Toyota until they can do anything which does not seem like anything will happen anytime soon :(

Click on link for picture https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0AocmETG10rZGZmYTg1N2EtZTZiNy00N2IyLTkwYmQtOGMzMWI2YjBlNTQ0

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is interesting. My SE does not make this noise. I'm wondering why some make noise and others don't. My car is amazingly quiet, when on the right road.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Camry SE
31 Posts
Is this kind of what you did? I took a picture of my car and sketched in the part where i thought you put it.

Also, i took my car into the dealer twice and they said there is nothing they can do since all of the cars have this problem. They have to wait to hear from Toyota until they can do anything which does not seem like anything will happen anytime soon :(

Click on link for picture https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0AocmETG10rZGZmYTg1N2EtZTZiNy00N2IyLTkwYmQtOGMzMWI2YjBlNTQ0

I'm gonna try this out this weekend. I took my friend for a drive and he says he can hear it only on my side of the car...weird.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No modification on the Vortex generator will eliminate this noise. I have to say that this is not a regular road or wind noise which some people are mentioning. Covering the vortex generator with the duct or regular tape didn’t help either.

Now, if folding of the side mirror is helping to get rid of this noise (which does! at least in my case), then it could be defect in mirror or the way mirror is blocking the wind to hit the corner of the door where the drivers left shoulder is, in that case door seal or window seal is not Ok as it is not able to hold the wind force. And why passenger side is ok and driver side is not, the only difference between these two is angle of the mirror’s body with the car in general.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)

idea is right.
but my "deflector" just a piece of door edge guard attached to the pillar and goes almost from the top of the pillar to the bottom.

Sorry cannot take pictures, my car at the body shop…
...hate idiots switching lanes without looking in the mirror and not showing direction light.

·
Registered
2012 CAMRY (SE) I4
132 Posts
went to the dealer to day to get the noise from brakes check out on my camry se i4 and i told them about
the wind noise from the driver side door i waited for the car and at the end

they adjusted the hole brake system and make shore everything was ok
and
wind noise they said that they reprogram the window switch the auto up switch on the driver side was leaving
the window open 1mm
after that no noise on the way home

61 - 80 of 330 Posts